Wooden ? full length motor narrow boat "FOX"

X Alan W

Featured Posts

At the 1967 Leicester national rally of boats, the then Mr Turner Jnr of Wheaton Aston garage attended with his wife & small child on if IIRC was a converted wooden? full length motor narrow boat named "FOX." has anyone any info as to what company built it & what happened to it? I have done a cursory search but have drawn a blank any info of any kind appreciated Thanks.

Hi Alan

I remember Fox when Derek Turner had it, though more than that I don't know. Not too long after it was sold and he commissioned Vulpes from Denis Cooper at Canal Transport Services at Norton Canes- a 30' tug. I could easily give him a call at Wheaton Aston, if you'd like me to.

Dave

For many years a 'Fox' was owned by John Pyper, often crewed by Reg Barnett and on several occasions towed the Skinners around to rallies etc. The tales are recorded in past issues of Waterways World (search for John Pyper as author in online index) and also in 'The Last Number Ones' (published by Waterways World in 2007). Quite a few pictures in those. Is that the same boat?

Isn't there a composite Josher called FOX iron sides and a wood bottom and a full length wood conversion. Lister HA2 or something.

I think I saw it at Bulls Bridge recently on the ltm just into the Paddington arm on left after Murrells old cottage.

Details on this site

http://www.spurstow.com/rogerfuller/historic/fmc.htm

1926 iron yarwoods motor apparently

(So maybe not composite then..)

Edited by magnetman

I can confirm "Fox" was the ex Seddons motor boat and was around on the GU. The picture below was taken on my honeymoon to Stoke Bruerne in 1972 at Long Itchington, the WFBCo Alice May is on the outside with Tim Higton on the counter.

I believe "Fox" was an Anderton Company dock built (or converted) boat (a "Knobstick") but cannot confirm this from records.

gallery_5000_522_71930.jpg

I remember seeing this 'Fox' quite frequently round about 1970'ish in the Bedworth / Sutton's / Tusse's Bridge area, converted and with a young couple living on it.

I'm fairly sure the fore-end had a Nurser's look about, rather than a Knobstick with that very distinctive rounded stem profile. Both Joe Gilbert and Jess Owen reckoned it was one of Nurser's horseboat to motor conversions.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

I have received some confirmed information on "Fox" today. This confirms Tony's suggestion.

"FOX was built by Nurser Bros., Braunston in 1933 for Henry Seddon & Sons Ltd.of Middlewich - 'taken away' on 10 August 1933. FOX was health registered as Daventry 446 on 05 September 1933, having been inspected on 24 July 1933 as a fore-cabined horse boat.
FOX was subsequently converted to a motor for Henry Seddon and Sons Ltd., and although no date for conversion is known, it is suspected it was completed by the Anderton Company who carried out several conversions around this time. As a motor FOX was fitted with a Bolinder W3/M25 two cylinder 16/20 hp diesel, and it was this engine that was removed in about 1966 to be replaced by an early Lister SR3. Once removed from FOX the Bolinder was fitted into David Houlston's JUPITER."

I have received some confirmed information on "Fox" today. This confirms Tony's suggestion.

"FOX was built by Nurser Bros., Braunston in 1933 for Henry Seddon & Sons Ltd.of Middlewich - 'taken away' on 10 August 1933. FOX was health registered as Daventry 446 on 05 September 1933, having been inspected on 24 July 1933 as a fore-cabined horse boat.

FOX was subsequently converted to a motor for Henry Seddon and Sons Ltd., and although no date for conversion is known, it is suspected it was completed by the Anderton Company who carried out several conversions around this time. As a motor FOX was fitted with a Bolinder W3/M25 two cylinder 16/20 hp diesel, and it was this engine that was removed in about 1966 to be replaced by an early Lister SR3. Once removed from FOX the Bolinder was fitted into David Houlston's JUPITER."

Is that from the man with the Mercedes E63?

Warning: Reminiscence alert!

I was lucky enough to travel with Derek Turner & family on their trip from Wheaton Aston to the 1966 Marple Rally on Fox. It was wonderful! The Lister diesel was almost new, and a close cabin mate (I had the boatman's cabin). It was surprisingly easy to start by hand, which was fortunate because there was no electric starter. Fox was, indeed, wooden - I remember the chains across the living room. Such a great trip for a young teen, with memories including the Anderton Lift (including being shown around the control cabin), meeting Joe Skinner on Friendship and passing through Thurlwood Steel Lock. Did I mention lucky?

>commissioned Vulpes from Denis Cooper

Even luckier...

Derek allowed me to move Vulpes for him from Gas Street to Wheaton Aston (via Middlewich). I still bear the scar of the pineapple tin that I was using to bail out at Autherley.

• 1 month later...

Hello all.

Please forgive my first post for being a little tangential to the main topic here.

I have finally become a member here after using the site for a couple of years as tomorrow I shall become only the fourth owner of Vulpes in 47 years.

First boat I will have owned.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

> the fourth owner of Vulpes

It's odd to think of Vulpes as an old boat! I'd like very much to see some pictures!

When I spent time aboard the floor in the saloon was the ballast (bricks) and the furnishings were whatever you had brought with you. The engine had already spent a working life in a dumper truck.

But what a beautiful hull!

Giles

"Vulpes" was built by Canal Transport Services (Denis Cooper) at the Norton Canes yard in the late 1970's to my recollection. It was owned by John Gardiner (if I remember correctly) and was always a pretty boat. CTS built a few of these "Hexa" being another one owned for a long time by Alf Langford a fender maker.

Hello Giles/Laurence,

I have picked up lots of information regarding Vulpes' history today including a copy of Denis Cooper's original drawings and spec, a brief written history of the boat by John Gardiner, some magazine cuttings relating to Hexa and Alf Langford, plus lots of photos dating back to 1970 (Vulpes was built in 1968/9) but mostly of the cabin rebuild during the 1990s. There is also a photo of what I think is the third 'Hampton' tug built by CTS.

The original air cooled Petter engine was replaced by a similar one in 1972 and then by the PHW2 that is still fitted today in 1975. The hull was overplated in the late 1980s by Tony Wakeley who did the original fabrication. It still has the brick ballast, just less of it and it has a floor over it.

The original wooden cabin was rebuilt in timber to the same shape and skinned in steel at Norton Canes Boatbuilders in the 1990s. The most recent owner - a designer and craftsman by profession - did the timber work and fit out. I was told the artwork - and I suspect therefore quite possibly the full paint job - is by Dave Moore.

There are quite probably folk on here who know more than I do. I shall hopefully be on the move next weekend and will try and work out how to post photos; probably in the 'new to boating' section.

Jon

Hi Jon

When Vulpes was re-skinned at Norton Canes in the 90s, the subsequent re-paint was done by Andy Oakley, resident coach painter at the time. I added the lettering and decoration at the end of the job. I think that the cabin sides were varnished to protect the paint, though it's all a long time ago now. PM me if I can help further.

Best wishes

Dave