New Boat Bike.

Featured Posts

Advice from Police:

- Get your bike security marked and registered at BikeRegister. Getting your bike security marked and registered is a visible deterrent to bike thieves. They know that if they are caught in possession of a registered bike, the rightful owner can be traced and they will be arrested. Find out if your local Met Police Safer Transport Team has any marking events planned.

- Record details of your bike. Frame number (normally found underneath the bike between the pedals or where the back wheel slots in), BikeRegister number, other distinguishing features, and take a photo.

- Use locks of gold 'Sold Secure' standard. Also, use two different types of lock, with at least one being a high quality D-lock. It takes thieves a few seconds to cut through poor quality locks - make it as difficult for them as possible.

- Lock the frame and both wheels to the cycle parking stand.

- Make the locks and bike hard to manoeuvre. Secure your bike as close to the stand as possible.

- Take parts that are easy to remove with you. For example, saddles and wheels. Or use secure skewers, which can increase security by securing the bike's components to the frame permanently, making it difficult for thieves to steal parts such as saddle or wheels.Heavy duty motorbike security chain and padlock.

Crikey...If you have to go to these lengths, I think I'd rather walk!!

Best thing to do is to use it a lot.

My very expensive folding mountain bike looks like a pile of junk to the unedumacated eye, being covered in mud and general towpath shite. I even left it at Reading station for 24 hours unlocked the other day and no-one nicked it!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, I've a mountain bike, (mens frame, not ladies) it was very expensive, it looks awful, I sprayed the frame so you can't see that it's a good make with expensive forks, wrapped it with insulating tape and then went and bought a load of Barbie stickers and stuck them on. But it's old, now and doesn't look at all desireable anymore. Especially now it's got a split Lidl bike seat on :D but I still use two locks, including one of those orange Krypton d locks and it's smart water marked. The cops often do free marking events, round here.

some of the mountain bikes my dad charges around on look like absolute wrecks, rusty, badly spraypainted etc etc

it's not until you look closely that you realise that in reality it's all high end components, then if you go to pick up the bike you find that you can easily lift the whole bike over your head with your little finger (not exaggerating) that you realise that the whole bike is very high end.

overall some of the bikes he uses cost well into 5 figures but to look at them you wouldn't even offer £5 for one

My grandson passed on his mountain bike,Much too grand for a pushbike now he has a driving licence.Supposed to be something special,it just looks like a bike to me.Much easier to ride than my old folding bike.The most useful thing is that it fits accross the boat without taking the front wheel off.It lives under the front cockpit cover from where it can be quickly thrown on/off without scratching any paint .I once lost a bike in Stoke swept off the roof so i dont like putting the bike up there.

My grandson passed on his mountain bike,Much too grand for a pushbike now he has a driving licence.Supposed to be something special,it just looks like a bike to me.Much easier to ride than my old folding bike.The most useful thing is that it fits accross the boat without taking the front wheel off.It lives under the front cockpit cover from where it can be quickly thrown on/off without scratching any paint .I once lost a bike in Stoke swept off the roof so i dont like putting the bike up there.

Me too. I once lost a four figure bike like that. And a four figure not beginning with '1'.

It's in the Thames at Goring...

Very smart looking bike. Mind you don't get it nicked!

P.S. You're gonna need mudguards on that if towpath riding in winter. Need them a LOT!

Tar MtB,

Yep mud guards are on the list when I have more pennys.

I dont fancy a like of dog crap up my back and in my hair. :-(

Edited by GreyLady

The main problem I find is the front wheel sprays mud in your face unless you have a front wheel guard, as you steer around all the puddles etc.

Something like this seems to work well on bouncy forks...

They look nice them, I was unsure what to get to be honest MtB. Edited by GreyLady

for the front I used to use guards that attached to the main frame (crud catcher IIRC) they only covered up to the forks but anything flying off after there wasn't coming your way to start with

Not my experience with the Crud Catcher. As soon as you turn the handlebars to balance on a muddy towpath, the spray from the front wheel goes past the side of the Crud Catcher and catches you in the face. Crud Catcher is fine for fast riding, useless when slugging through mud and puddles.

for the front I used to use guards that attached to the main frame (crud catcher IIRC) they only covered up to the forks but anything flying off after there wasn't coming your way to start with

That was my plan for the front jess, I dont like those rear mud guards that pivot on the seat post though, they seem to be really floppy.

• 3 weeks later...

You should be able to pull it out (tap it out) and change it. Probably get 2 bearings for around £7 - £10 otherwise you might get some non smooth steering.

Thanks

It's not an issue being honest it was a very small amount of overspray microns on the top bearing, and it had a coating of grease even after panel wipe before I sprayed it.

The gears were really hard to set up when I put it together I felt like a kid again it was fun

I am still playing with the gears hehe ;-/

Can you give us any tips Snappy ?

Edited by GreyLady