earning a living

kevin marks

Featured Posts

hi everyone

im kevin and im wanting to buy a narrowboat with the view to living aboard and selling tea loose leaf and bags as a way of earning some money.I realise im not going to earn a fortune and that's not the idea the idea is just to earn enough to sustain a life afloat.Any comments would be appreciated negative or positive as to whether or not my idea is realistic

many thanks

Unless this is to be a wholly internet based business you will almost certainly need a Traders License and more expensive insurance. As this is a food product have you checked for any food hygiene requirements?

Even with a trade license you will still need to comply with CC/permanent mooring requirements re movement.

• Greenie 1

I would store in plastic air tight containers ,the boat im thinking of buying is a 55' cruiser stern with the stern end of the boat modified to give about 6' of storage,its not just tea I would be selling but also tea pots mugs maybe candles.ive allready checked the food hygiene requirements and its not an issue.As for c/c requirements that's also not an issue

Edited by kevin marks

A cruiser stern would waste storage cabin length; trad would be better (and much better to move in bad weather too!)

How do you intend to display your wares?

I would suggest a broader theme - tea and coffee and chocolate might give you enough customers; mobile internet connection so you could trade on-line too just might give you enough to live on (although I doubt it).

You will need to go to events (boat rallies etc.) or be in popular place to get enough footfall. I don't know how you do this.

I suggest that you would need a back-up plan...

P.

the intention as well as boat rallies etc is to find suitable towpath sites to set up in im not interested in the internet option as I could just do that from home ,the idea is to live and work on the cut ,I do realise its not going to be easy but would have enough money to last approx. 2 years to try an establish myself

the intention as well as boat rallies etc is to find suitable towpath sites to set up in im not interested in the internet option as I could just do that from home ,the idea is to live and work on the cut ,I do realise its not going to be easy but would have enough money to last approx. 2 years to try an establish myself

I don't know if you do Facebook, several of the trading boats are on there and often post where they do well and where is a waste of time.

thanks for the input everyone ,its something im seriously contemplating for next year ,obviously im going to do a lot more research but you know what if you don't take a chance in life and try and fulfil your dream what a boring life it would be.

im 55 and fed up with the so called normal life ,going to work paying the mortgage etc I have enough equity in my house to set myself up in a boat and see where life takes me

• Greenie 2

thanks for the input everyone ,its something im seriously contemplating for next year ,obviously im going to do a lot more research but you know what if you don't take a chance in life and try and fulfil your dream what a boring life it would be.

im 55 and fed up with the so called normal life ,going to work paying the mortgage etc I have enough equity in my house to set myself up in a boat and see where life takes me

It would be more realistic to work on the basis that you want and can fund a change in lifestyle. Then treat the retail business as a hobby which does not impact on your core financial position. If it makes money, so much the better but more realistically it would give a reason for getting up in the morning and planning movements around the system. That way you can be much more relaxed about the whole business whilst still being disciplined about it. Running a small business is about the hardest job in today's society.

There are several floating traders of one kind or another. Cheese boats, Hairdresser and books to name a few. I have not come across a dry tea or coffee seller but that is not to say it isn't an idea you could make a success of.

As you have identified it is not going to make anyone rich as a sole trader from a boat and I have no idea if you could make enough to fully finance yourself and your boat but people do trade from their boats and do make some money.

I wonder how you would get yourself re-supplied if you are moving about? Will that make life difficult? It must be possible though.

Good luck to you if you decide to go ahead. I will try and make a point of being a customer if we see you about.

Might I suggest that you also look at your venture from the other end? By that I mean work out your cost of living on a boat at a standard of living that you're happy to accept. Factor in all of the annual mandatory costs of keeping a boat without coming into conflict with CRT (much of which can be found by searching here or by basic Googling), add something for fuel, maintenance and sundries, and add to that your own wants and needs, etc. Once you have that total, then you can look at the business model to see if it can raise that amount reliably.

Good luck with following your dream! :)

I recently sat down and worked out the costs of living on a 55-60 foot narrowboat compared with living in the house I am currently in and found that over a year there wasn't that much difference in costs (less than 5k difference), admittedly I do live in one of the cheaper rural locations in lincolnshire and I was brutal when negotiating the price of the house (knocked them down by almost 200k) so I have a lot of house for the money (If I could pick the house up and move it south I would be a millionaire)

I recently sat down and worked out the costs of living on a 55-60 foot narrowboat compared with living in the house I am currently in and found that over a year there wasn't that much difference in costs (less than 5k difference), admittedly I do live in one of the cheaper rural locations in lincolnshire and I was brutal when negotiating the price of the house (knocked them down by almost 200k) so I have a lot of house for the money (If I could pick the house up and move it south I would be a millionaire)

but the thing is you cant move your house and my narrowboat would be paid cash

You will need a supplier with branches if you intend to be truly mobile, Having to drive or boat or public transport to get the next 50kilos of stock would be expensive in time money or both.

So how do the cheese boat get their supplies? by courier, I just hope they use a better one than I am sitting here waiting for.

You will need a supplier with branches if you intend to be truly mobile, Having to drive or boat or public transport to get the next 50kilos of stock would be expensive in time money or both.

its free delivery anywhere in the UK and I have already spoken to a supplier who knows my intentions and has no problem delivering