Barrus Shire gearbox oil cap

AftApeth

Featured Posts

One thing I haven't done since getting my boat is inspect gearbox oil level and top up. This is because I can't quite get the cap off. I'm getting some nasty screeching sounds though when passing through different points on the throttle, so I think I should probably get on to this.

As far as I can tell, there are only two orange/yellow oil caps on or around the engine. One is the main oil cap and is no problem to deal with. The other one you can just make out in this photo under a fixed silver pipe.

MqCEgVk.jpg

It's so close to the pipe that it will only turn slightly and then come up against the pipe. There's no chance of screwing it right off without removing the pipe. This doesn't seem right. Am I missing something obvious here? Any help much appreciated.

I don't think you are looking at the gearbox oil filler/dipstick. I think you are looking at the low level engine oil filler cap which is on the engine block under the injector pump. This filler is not used on the Barrus marinisation. The gearbox is between the prop. shaft & the engine. Barrus use PRM 80, 120, 150, 260 gearboxes on the Shire series, all have a hexagonal (20mm AF I think) filler/dipstick on the top. Which Shire model/series do you have ? Refer to the manual which you can download.

http://www.barrus.co.uk/media/1348/rdg603a8-issue-1-shire-14-canal-boat-complete-manual-30-35-38-40-45-50.pdf

Edited by Flyboy
  • Greenie 1

Sorry to but in but why is there a low level engine oil filler cap?

For little people who can't reach the one on top. Many of these engines have industrial usage too, like certain Listers and so on for when they're mounted in housings with a low roof shelter over them, but exposed at the sides or with doors on the sides like on certain dumper trucks, generators, mobile air compressors and water pumps ect.

Sorry to but in but why is there a low level engine oil filler cap?

As Bizzard has said, it's because the engine is derived from an industrial unit (Yanmar in this case) it has a low level filler/dipstick that could be accessed through the side of an enclosure. There is still a normal type dipstick and a oil filler cap on the rocker box like you would have on a car engine.

Just above the metal pipe joining on to the rubber pipe , i have a need to replace a small diameter rubber house that is a part of cooling system , i have tried local to find some tube but non available ,how can i find out part number for such tube so i can contact barrus to order a replacement or get from chandlers .thanks

Thanks Flyboy for nudging me in the right direction. I found a nut closer to the prop shaft that I recognised from internet photos as being the likely candidate, and sure enough, it had the dipstick attached to the underside. Gearbox oil topped up now. Would have replied sooner, but didn't realise what a signal dead spot Lower Heyford was going to be.