Morocco D61E..Where to put it?

Ca Jon

Featured Posts

Hi, me again..

So Ive ordered the new Morco D61E to replace the D51B and I have been reading a lot of past posts on the dangers of having a morocco in the bathroom. Also, the flue on the old one is short, not the 600mm stated as required by Morco, and there is only a mushroom externally. Do I move the appliance to the kitchen? Do I get the replacement flue?

Having read the Morco instructions and a few other things, like the BSS LPG pages, I would advise that you move it to the kitchen.

This is not based on any safety concerns since I think it is quite safe in the bathroom of a narrowboat which meets the BSS on ventilation because a) the bathroom should be ventilated high and low, cool.png the doors of narrowboat bathrooms (mostly) don't fit very well even if the low level vents are missing, c) most people don't have baths in them, only showers and since water supply is an issue (mostly) the don't stay in there very long.

The only thing is that, in the future, some pedantic inspector may not pass it.

See page 11 of

http://www.morcoproducts.co.uk/resources/4_D61_and_G111_E_Manual_English.pdf

Then see if you can find any national legislation that specifically allows an exception for boats - I know of none - perhaps someone else on the forum might...?

As for the flue, I think it is generally accepted that for navigation purpose the flue will be shorter on a narrowboat installation and certainly it is common practice to have it less than 600mm.

Edited by Tiggs

Personally I would want the recommended flue/chimney and wouldn't be happy with it venting exhaust gases through a mushroom vent.

If you are relying on a mushroom vent externally, I would say it needs to be both a large and very generously wide opening one, and modified to make it impossible to screw down.

If you are using a mushroom vent I would want to be using the full length of the standard Morco internal flue, not cutting it short at all.

Any reason why if it is being moved, you cannot switch to the proper Morco flue outlet? They can be a bit of a pain, (rope hazard sometimes!), and are a bit fragile, but I have little doubt a Morco will pass a spillage test more easily with the properly designed vent when it comes to BSS time.

This is not based on any safety concerns since I think it is quite safe in the bathroom of a narrowboat which meets the BSS on ventilation because a) the bathroom should be ventilated high and low, cool.png the doors of narrowboat bathrooms (mostly) don't fit very well even if the low level vents are missing, c) most people don't have baths in them, only showers and since water supply is an issue (mostly) the don't stay in there very long.

Your esteemed opinion appears to conflict with the law.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998:-

"30. - (1) No person shall install a gas appliance in a room used or intended to be used as a bathroom or a shower room unless it is a room-sealed appliance. "

Leisure craft happen to fall outside the scope of the GSIUR, but that does not make your opinion correct, in my opinion!

Craft used as residences (e.g. the OP's) fall within the scope of the GSIUR so for the OP, fitting a D61 in the shower room would be illegal, so only someone who is ignorant of the law or doesn't care about the law would do it.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

A few more squid could get you the room sealed F-11EL, better performance and safer.

Bob

...but with a.much bigger and harder to remove flue, so low bridges might be an issue. And a need for 240v to run it.

Edit- unless you can put the flue out through a vertical bulkhead to the side

Edited by FadeToScarlet

...but with a.much bigger and harder to remove flue, so low bridges might be an issue. And a need for 240v to run it.

Edit- unless you can put the flue out through a vertical bulkhead to the side

Because it will be fan driven I don't think that chimney length is critical. True the flue is bigger because it is both intake and exhaust. I suspect that a short stub with a hat on it will work,

Bob

Because it will be fan driven I don't think that chimney length is critical. True the flue is bigger because it is both intake and exhaust. I suspect that a short stub with a hat on it will work,

Bob

I'm not sure you'd get anyone to install it with those mods, though- I guess it's real flue or nothing

Bob

I'm pretty certain it is firmly stated by Morco that you must not modify the flue on an F11E in any way, (but have not gone looking for the reference again, I admit).

Everything I have heard about them seems to suggest practical installation on a narrow boat that actually goes cruising is simply not possible.

I know of one chandlery where one stayed in the showroom unsold for years and indeed it may still be there!

The open flue types, with sensible external cowls, and no need for electrical power seem to be the usual choice for a very good reason.