Mooring in Stone

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hello.

Boring as this may sound, but I am after opinions.

Having had our cruising plans scuppered following having the wife spayed and problems with the dogs spectacles (other way round of course) we are still hanging around Burton and Alrewas.

At sometime we will be once again free to proceed in a northerly direction.

As the title. I have looked at the stoppage programme for this year and have decided that Stone is a possibility for a couple of weeks mooring over the forthcoming festive season. I know it's weeks away, thank goodness, but I need opinions of the area. Some think Stoke is potentially suspect with regards to behaviour of the locals, hearsay!

Any comments from your experience.

Martyn

I would recommend mooring in Aston marina, we moored there for four years and it was and is excellent.

They do short term moorings and they have every facility on site.

With regard to safety we moored outside the marina in Stone on several occasions never had any problem nor did I ever hear of anyone else having problems but of course idiots exist everywhere.

Ken

Have moored both at the bottom of the locks and up at the top near the boatyard many times without any trouble. Saying that about five or six years ago my brothers water can was stollen off his cabin roof over night.

Always think Stone is a great place to stop, but spoiled by that main road that runs round the town centre. Some cracking pubs though

Moored at Stone many times. No problems.

You can moor below the bottom lock, it's against a playing field where there might be some activity, or you can go up though the locks and moor at the top end of town, where I suspect it would be more peaceful. Done both. Sorry can't remember what the time restrictions are in the various places.

You can moor short of the bottom moorings, the bank ok but its deep enough although the bank is a bit soggy for pins, but no problem with 14 days there.

Shops and pubs very close.

Thanks for comments so far.

Will contact Aston Marina. But, don't like marina mooring. If we decide to be away for Christmas, it would be a possibility.

This will be our second winter onboard. Last winter, our first full time living aboard, was very kind to us. Just preparing ourselves.

Incidentally,we love the winter but don't want to get stuck without elsan and water facilities. Obviously.

Martyn

The Titanic brewery pub at the top of the town is the best....

Stone is an ace place to moor...especially if you are there for the farmers market..best one I have ever been to..

Stone is good.

There is a bit of motorbike riding and late night car racing in the field below the sports centre (next to moorings) at the moment, and a boater said he found lads on his front deck one evening, but not causing any trouble.

Its a popular spot so you are unlikely to be the only boat there which is always good.

We were there for a week and had no problems at all apart from drinking too much.

Star has been thru' a bad patch but new tenants are trying hard to get it all gong again.

Swan is very popular and can be very busy at weekends so better for early evening drinking. Lots of beers.

As Gillie sad pub at top of town is very good and brews its own beer.

Good little hardware shop.

.............Dave

Agree avoid the Star and use the Swan not tried the Titanic brewery

Trouble is the Swan are now enforcing their "no dogs after 9pm" rule at weekends so its quite nice to have a couple in the Swan and then a last one or two at the Star on the way home!

Dogs allowed in at Titanic but its a bit of a walk.

...........Dave