Fuel Save Diesel Additive

boatsandsteam

Featured Posts

Am in process of buying a boat. Queried with previous owner if they had every had problems with water in diesel tank. They said no because they always used a 'Fuel Save Diesel Additive' on every fill.

Anyone throw any light as to what this additive might be?

Never heard of "fuel save" but of course it may well exist. I have used one called "fuel set" which seems to be effective. Marine 16 Complete seems to be well liked by many, and I have used this too.

We once had water contamination due to a 50 pence washer failing on the filler cap, so I replace this frequently too, takes about 10 seconds but they have gone up to 75p now ;) I keep a few on the boat.

Some say its all smoke and mirrors. Some say its the best stuff since sliced bread. I've used 'Aquasolve' for some years now after a rec. by (I think it was) 'Keeping Up' on this forum. All I can say is that I've had no problem with water in the fuel - does it work or is it a coincidence? I don't know, but I don't care - I'll keep on using it while I have a boat.

Some say its all smoke and mirrors. Some say its the best stuff since sliced bread. I've used 'Aquasolve' for some years now after a rec. by (I think it was) 'Keeping Up' on this forum. All I can say is that I've had no problem with water in the fuel - does it work or is it a coincidence? I don't know, but I don't care - I'll keep on using it while I have a boat.

Pretty much my take on it.

And did you read the problems he has had this year with his diesel

Never heard of "fuel save" but of course it may well exist. I have used one called "fuel set" which seems to be effective. Marine 16 Complete seems to be well liked by many, and I have used this too.

We once had water contamination due to a 50 pence washer failing on the filler cap, so I replace this frequently too, takes about 10 seconds but they have gone up to 75p now wink.png I keep a few on the boat.

I find the seem to last a lot better now since the diesel quality improved wit reduced sulphur or maybe the rings have got better.

That'll be the same Keeping Up who had the most devastating fuel bug problem I have ever come across then?

Richard

And did you read the problems he has had this year with his diesel

I find the seem to last a lot better now since the diesel quality improved wit reduced sulphur or maybe the rings have got better.

Interesting. Maybe the low sulphur has had some effect.

I have notice that if the old one is left to dry for some time, it becomes less slimy and looks servicable, but I would only chance that if I was stuck. I had a bad time getting water from my tank. No bug luckily but getting the last drops out took ages. Thought I had trashed a two year old engine when it sucked water into the pump, never seen smoke/steam like it!

As a result of my experience I would never have a brass style filler again, and would go for a BSP welded stub and BSP female threaded cover like my last boat.

We once had water contamination due to a 50 pence washer failing on the filler cap, so I replace this frequently too, takes about 10 seconds but they have gone up to 75p now wink.png I keep a few on the boat.

Failing light (and failing eyesight) led me to read your 'failing' as 'falling' - it took a long time to work out the meaning of your (perfectly well written) post, especially with the conjunction of 'washing' and 'water' going through my head as well.

We never used anything on any of our sundry working craft, but with our barge Friesland I've always added Soltran at each filling and have never had any fuel problems. Mind you I have an anti-elephant token on board and I've never had problems with elephants either, so I can recommend those too laugh.png

• Greenie 1

Failing light (and failing eyesight) led me to read your 'failing' as 'falling' - it took a long time to work out the meaning of your (perfectly well written) post, especially with the conjunction of 'washing' and 'water' going through my head as well.

We never used anything on any of our sundry working craft, but with our barge Friesland I've always added Soltran at each filling and have never had any fuel problems. Mind you I have an anti-elephant token on board and I've never had problems with elephants either, so I can recommend those too laugh.png

Glad it isn't only me; I have noticed that fonts have got smaller over the years ;) Also I read the other day (in supersize fonts) that you need an incredible four times the amount of light to be able to see properly at the age of 60 than you did at the age of 20. It used to puzzle me when people used to say "you are in my light." I know what it means today.

Bad joke alert:

Reminds me of the old joke where a guy is painting crocodile repellent on the pavement. On seeing the tin, a nosy neighbour shouts "There are no crocodiles around here!"

Guy shouts back " yeah I know, bloody good stuff innit?"

There are loads of 'fuel save' type products on the market for both diesel and petrol.

Regardless of any claims I reckon the fuel saving effect is achieved by maintaining the efficiency of the engine and fuel rather than some sort of catalyst effect.

Petrol fuel certainly degrades with time, the more volatile components of the fuel evaporate making it difficult to start low compression engines - older small capacity briggs and Stratton examples spring to mind - and the fuel also absorbs water.

You can buy fuel preservatives which you add to the fuel to prevent fuel gum and replace the volatile elements which do seem to be effective. You can also buy 'fuel dryers' - basically alcohol- which allow the water to mix with the petrol so it can be burnt.

As for diesel fuel i'm not sure, proper diesel is fairly stable compared to petrol but I imagine the new diesel fuels that are mixed with veg oil are not nearly as durable.

Thing is prevention is better than cure- is if you regularly use your boat fuel contamination shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

There are loads of 'fuel save' type products on the market for both diesel and petrol.

Regardless of any claims I reckon the fuel saving effect is achieved by maintaining the efficiency of the engine and fuel rather than some sort of catalyst effect.

Petrol fuel certainly degrades with time, the more volatile components of the fuel evaporate making it difficult to start low compression engines - older small capacity briggs and Stratton examples spring to mind - and the fuel also absorbs water.

You can buy fuel preservatives which you add to the fuel to prevent fuel gum and replace the volatile elements which do seem to be effective. You can also buy 'fuel dryers' - basically alcohol- which allow the water to mix with the petrol so it can be burnt.

As for diesel fuel i'm not sure, proper diesel is fairly stable compared to petrol but I imagine the new diesel fuels that are mixed with veg oil are not nearly as durable.

Thing is prevention is better than cure- is if you regularly use your boat fuel contamination shouldn't be a problem.

That must be the best regime.

We lay the boat up for about 4 months owing to other commitments, and when topping up for that period I have taken to putting diesel in from ASDA, in the belief that it has a quick turnaround and is likely to be fresh stuff etc.

I have no idea if my theory is correct...

We lay the boat up for about 4 months owing to other commitments, and when topping up for that period I have taken to putting diesel in from ASDA, in the belief that it has a quick turnaround and is likely to be fresh stuff etc.

I am not sure that is a good idea. ALL forecourt diesel will have up to 7% bio-diesel in it and bio-diesel absorbed far more water and is more easily attacked by microbes etc (bug).

I would suggest that you woudl be better buying from a large hire fleet who claims to sell bio-free fuel.

snip

I have seen tests that show that nano-particles or cerium do act as a catalyst (it is used in the walls of self cleaning ovens) although I would never claim that it has any meaningfully effect on power. In my own very non-scientific tests using a cerium rich fuel additive seemed to reduce the exhaust smoke on a direct injected diesel that tends to smoke at low speed and idle. Apart from that one case I tend to agree with the rest of what you said.

There's a Briggs and Stratton additive called 'Fuel save' IIRC - designed for petrol engines - my local agricultural merchant raves about it.

Dunno if it's suitable for diesel. It's a fuel conditioner and makes no claims for dealing with water.

Otherwise Fuel set, Marine 16 and others are popular and everybody claims their own favourite brand is the best. I use fuel set because it's the first that Midland Chandlers stocked.

It's a good idea to have some protection - even if it's of the smoking mirrors variety....

I always thought that supermarket fuel was older/lower grade than that sold by Shell Esso etc. I know a few years back I filled up with diesel at Morrisons and my car ran awful. I kept topping it up with Shell premium diesel and had to change the fuel filter 3 times before it ran properly again.

I always thought that supermarket fuel was older/lower grade than that sold by Shell Esso etc. I know a few years back I filled up with diesel at Morrisons and my car ran awful. I kept topping it up with Shell premium diesel and had to change the fuel filter 3 times before it ran properly again.

that used to be the case, but i think it is fairly standard today.

I am not sure that is a good idea. ALL forecourt diesel will have up to 7% bio-diesel in it and bio-diesel absorbed far more water and is more easily attacked by microbes etc (bug).

I would suggest that you woudl be better buying from a large hire fleet who claims to sell bio-free fuel.

I have seen tests that show that nano-particles or cerium do act as a catalyst (it is used in the walls of self cleaning ovens) although I would never claim that it has any meaningfully effect on power. In my own very non-scientific tests using a cerium rich fuel additive seemed to reduce the exhaust smoke on a direct injected diesel that tends to smoke at low speed and idle. Apart from that one case I tend to agree with the rest of what you said.

Thanks for that, didn't realise. I like to get fame free when near Nantwitch, but know of none where I live. will have a look around.

Much supermarket fuel is supplied, I understand, by Mabanaft, an independent German fuel supply company who are also very big in sales to large fleet buyers. I can not see Mr Stobart taking kindly to being sold duff fuel. I understand that they have their own test facilities.

Interesting you mention Morrisons. A few years ago when bio-fuel was all the rage they were selling B30 or B70 fuel (can't remember the exact percentage of bio) and eventually I noticed the pumps were often out of use. I understand it was found to be bug blocking the filters in the pumps. Then they stopped selling it an went back to all Derv that as I said ha sup to 7% bio in it. I still noticed the odd diesel pump out of action. One day when I was filling the car a couple of contractors lorries turned up with drums, pumps and filters on the back. I was paying when the foreman came to get the site plans so I asked him if he was to deal with bug. (This was before bug was a swell known as it is now). Talk about a pregnant silence followed by a mumbling that seemed to indicate he was not there to deal with bug but with no information as to what he was there for. Draw your own conclusion.

Much supermarket fuel is supplied, I understand, by Mabanaft, an independent German fuel supply company who are also very big in sales to large fleet buyers. I can not see Mr Stobart taking kindly to being sold duff fuel. I understand that they have their own test facilities.

Interesting you mention Morrisons. A few years ago when bio-fuel was all the rage they were selling B30 or B70 fuel (can't remember the exact percentage of bio) and eventually I noticed the pumps were often out of use. I understand it was found to be bug blocking the filters in the pumps. Then they stopped selling it an went back to all Derv that as I said ha sup to 7% bio in it. I still noticed the odd diesel pump out of action. One day when I was filling the car a couple of contractors lorries turned up with drums, pumps and filters on the back. I was paying when the foreman came to get the site plans so I asked him if he was to deal with bug. (This was before bug was a swell known as it is now). Talk about a pregnant silence followed by a mumbling that seemed to indicate he was not there to deal with bug but with no information as to what he was there for. Draw your own conclusion.

Diesel bug was certainly a taboo subject. I remember when people on here claimed it didn't exist.

Best way to prevent diesel bug is to keep the tank brimmed up with diesel.

That is the best way to minimise condensation. The bug lives in the area where water and diesel meet, so if your tank has water in the bottom, you are at high risk of getting the bug

I always check the tank drain for water when servicing the engine.

I don't think anything works 100% but tank drains, filters and (if you need belt braces and a bit of string) additives can work if used together if you keep checking regularly.

That said, in spite of having fuel tanks that were subject to all sorts of violent motions in yachts at sea, I've rarely had a real problem with fuel
I have had to clean out more than one tank on boats that have been left idle for long periods with fuel in them but that's a different matter to the questions raised on here

In which case a pump connected to a length of copper pipe long enough to reach the bottom of the tank can be used to remove any water present.

That is what I tend to do. Surprising how much crud/water is removed this way.

As an aside, my tank has a square headed drain plug screwed into a BSP socket, which can't really be deployed unless the tank is all but empty. Is it permissible to have a valve fitted, then put the square plug into the valve? (Thinking Boat Safety here?)

Cheers.

That is what I tend to do. Surprising how much crud/water is removed this way.

As an aside, my tank has a square headed drain plug screwed into a BSP socket, which can't really be deployed unless the tank is all but empty. Is it permissible to have a valve fitted, then put the square plug into the valve? (Thinking Boat Safety here?)

Cheers.

As a far as I know the answer is yes. All the BSS care about is that the end of the drain is mechanically capped in some way so occidentally turning the tap on can not result in a bilge full of diesel.

Just be aware, depending upon design, that as most narrowboats trim down by the stern a drain in the front of the tank may leave a fair bit of water in the tank.

Edited by Tony Brooks