CRT Council nominations open

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Several of the candidates I have spoken to are fully aware of the change. It was publicised at the end of Sept, beginning of October.

Do you have the relevant links? It might help members of this forum who may have believed, reading the FAQ etc on the website that this was not the case Edited by StarUKKiwi

It also says "To serve on Council, you must continue to hold a valid 12 month canal or river boat licence throughout your term of office." hope they changed that too.

NBTA brought the issue up at the canal and river trust agm. Richard parry consequently made a statement which rectified the problem, with an apology for not recognising the problems it could cause.

I've just read through the candidates statements and struggled to use all my 10 votes (I know you don't have to) and did wonder where some were coming from as well as the lack of detail in some nominations. So I thought I would put my hat into the arena and nominated myself - so please vote for me if you think what I have written is enough to go on. I promise not to go missing if there is anything we might disagree with - and I sure there could be many things (take cycling for a start, always good to draw a line in the sand and check the drawbridge still goes up).

Perhaps I should use tomorrow evenings CRT London Waterway Autumn Forum for last minute canvassing.

Thanks Jenlyn, I must have missed Mr Parry saying that.... I was trying to tweet at the same time and am not one to multitask.. know ones limitations. Actually it might have been drowned out by the tut tutting from someone nearby whenever NBTA spoke.

I've just read through the candidates statements and struggled to use all my 10 votes (I know you don't have to) and did wonder where some were coming from as well as the lack of detail in some nominations. So I thought I would put my hat into the arena and nominated myself - so please vote for me if you think what I have written is enough to go on. I promise not to go missing if there is anything we might disagree with - and I sure there could be many things (take cycling for a start, always good to draw a line in the sand and check the drawbridge still goes up).

Perhaps I should use tomorrow evenings CRT London Waterway Autumn Forum for last minute canvassing.

Thanks Jenlyn, I must have missed Mr Parry saying that.... I was trying to tweet at the same time and am not one to multitask.. know ones limitations. Actually it might have been drowned out by the tut tutting from someone nearby whenever NBTA spoke.

Good luck with your election more the merrier.

Do you have the relevant links? It might help members of this forum who may have believed, reading the FAQ etc on the website that this was not the case

My understanding is that only those holding a 12 month licence at a certain date are eligible to vote. However, NBTA pointed out, quite rightly, that this disenfranchises those that normally apply for a twelve month licence but have only been granted a three or six month licence because CaRT thinks their boat is not being used bona fides for navigation. CaRT have accepted this.

So the situation is, if you normally apply for three or six month licences, then you are still not entitled to nominate, sponsor or vote.

As I say, this is just my understanding ...

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

Searching my emails for electoral reform services I found one that was sent on Sept 11. This email contains the link to the website and codes and is if I wish to nominate myself or another Says that I will be sent another email with different code for voting purposes

Searching my emails for electoral reform services I found one that was sent on Sept 11. This email contains the link to the website and codes and is if I wish to nominate myself or another Says that I will be sent another email with different code for voting purposes

Yes that link is for putting yourself forward, or supporting the candidature of another.

As you say it has nothing to do with voting.

The number of nominations has just jumped from 18 to 26 so I suggest that those that have nominated someone check.

Also spotted that existing private boating council member, Vaughan Welch, is one of the new nominees.

It appears that he might have retired as an IWA trustee so that he is eligible.

Excuse my ignorance but how does being an IWA trustee make you ineligible to stand?

Tim

Excuse my ignorance but how does being an IWA trustee make you ineligible to stand?

Tim

There is a 'gentlemen's agreement' that IWA trustees will not stand for 'private boating' seats. In return IWA may nominate a single representative instead of the WRG rep. Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

Does anyone know what the last representatives did or achieved? In the last election I nominated Alan Fincher and voted him top, also I spent several hours viewing the statements of the other candidates, finding out as much of them as I could online and ranked them as fairly as I felt able. To what ends? Is it really worth me putting in any effort again?

I'll be more than happy to stand corrected but it seems like a box ticking exercise by CRT and a nice feather in the cap for the representatives to sport with no powers and no responsibilities. If I recall correctly the representatives were all invited to attend the boaters meetings with CRT that Cotswoldsman set up and the only one that responded insisted that his train fare be paid (this was a meeting where the venue was being paid for by Cotswoldsman). The rest of us mere mortals rocked up at the meetings and paid our own fares and accommodation.

Seriously, if someone can put me right and point me to something I've missed I'll happily engage again, but at the moment I'm thoroughly disillusioned.

Edited by Ange

I had an e-mail and have now exercised my right to support some nominees.

I received a second email this morning as I couldn't get the other one to work, this one doesn't ether, so I wont be supporting any nominations. I wonder if I will be able to vote?

My nomination is now online - 27 people in total at the moment. As to whether its worth voting again I guess you will have to be the judge of that, I am under no illusions that a single indidual can change things that much but it is important to feedback via social media/forums as to ones views/thoughts on the processes. As to not wanting to go to meetings etc... I'd happily come if good enough notice given, most places are pretty affordable by train in advance, obviously pretty key to travel outside peak hours. Needs to be a decent pub in the area though. I'd just like to see a reasonable mix of people who we can all vote for, its just a shame I meet the norm for the type of person who often puts there name forwards, white, middle class, middle age (OK 58 so past that too) and male. Still I can't change most of those.

My nomination is now online - 27 people in total at the moment. As to whether its worth voting again I guess you will have to be the judge of that, I am under no illusions that a single indidual can change things that much but it is important to feedback via social media/forums as to ones views/thoughts on the processes. As to not wanting to go to meetings etc... I'd happily come if good enough notice given, most places are pretty affordable by train in advance, obviously pretty key to travel outside peak hours. Needs to be a decent pub in the area though. I'd just like to see a reasonable mix of people who we can all vote for, its just a shame I meet the norm for the type of person who often puts there name forwards, white, middle class, middle age (OK 58 so past that too) and male. Still I can't change most of those.

[tongue_in_cheek]

I think I'd get rid of the picture of you riding a bike, if you want to garner support from CWDF members!

OK, I can see it is a sensibe Brompton, you are not clad all over in lycra, you are sensibly wearing a helmet and (most importantly!) you are not on a tow-path!.

But I think any connection with push bike probably weighs against you here......

/[tongue_in_cheek]

Colours to the mast, colours to the mast. Most likely might put a few people off that I said I was a cycle campaigner in my blurb as well then. I even mentioned rugby league for the northern vote, I thought more canals in RL country than RU (ignoring Leicester, Northampton, Bath, Coventry, Reading, Worcester..oh dear what have I done.

My understanding is that only those holding a 12 month licence at a certain date are eligible to vote.....

And have given an email address.

I cannot hand on heart say its not been missed, but as far as I can tell both from the internet and what I am told has come through the letterbox of SNB EMILYANNE HQ, if you hold a licence but have not given an email address you do not get a letter in place of your email.

Does anyone know what the last representatives did or achieved? In the last election I nominated Alan Fincher and voted him top, also I spent several hours viewing the statements of the other candidates, finding out as much of them as I could online and ranked them as fairly as I felt able. To what ends? Is it really worth me putting in any effort again?

I'll be more than happy to stand corrected but it seems like a box ticking exercise by CRT and a nice feather in the cap for the representatives to sport with no powers and no responsibilities. If I recall correctly the representatives were all invited to attend the boaters meetings with CRT that Cotswoldsman set up and the only one that responded insisted that his train fare be paid (this was a meeting where the venue was being paid for by Cotswoldsman). The rest of us mere mortals rocked up at the meetings and paid our own fares and accommodation.

Seriously, if someone can put me right and point me to something I've missed I'll happily engage again, but at the moment I'm thoroughly disillusioned.

Would be interested if anyone could answer this also, the navigational advice lot for instance appear to make regular and significant contributions, but I must say having largely missed it previous years, I am at a loss as to having any recollection of having heard about it or anything its done.

Daniel

And have given an email address.

I cannot hand on heart say its not been missed, but as far as I can tell both from the internet and what I am told has come through the letterbox of SNB EMILYANNE HQ, if you hold a licence but have not given an email address you do not get a letter in place of your email.

Would be interested if anyone could answer this also, the navigational advice lot for instance appear to make regular and significant contributions, but I must say having largely missed it previous years, I am at a loss as to having any recollection of having heard about it or anything its done.

Daniel

It's an online election. If you are eligible and want to vote then you should contact ERS by phone or email (see post #53).

Regarding what the private boating members have done over the last three years, I would suggest that it is no much.

There was some sort of report regarding attracting younger boaters but action on this seems to have fizzled out.

The only other thing that springs to mind is an initiative by the only member not an IWA trustee to up the number of private boating members from four to five. This was knocked on the head by a committee that included an IWA private boating member.

Can anyone add to this list of two?

Regarding what they should be doing -

• Establish primacy for boating
  • Prevent navigation being subsumed by non-navigation interests
  • Reduce spiralling boating costs
  • Develop cheap entry traditional boating for the young and families
  • Establish opening hours to suit the users especially manned structures
  • Develop a proper dredging programme
  • Improve vegetation management
  • Prevent closures
  • Increase provision and improve essential boaters facilities
  • Promote internal and external cost reductions
  • Establish salaries equivalent to 'like' charities
  • Re-establish the Right of Navigation
  • Compensate for long term closures
  • Encourage residential boating and legitimate Continuous Cruising
  • Ensure the fair use of towpath based moorings for all
  • Legitimize those who have chosen the waterways as their home
  • Continue support for less well off boaters and those in difficulty
  • Establish security of tenure

Have I missed anything out?

I definately need to find out how to vote as this has just appeared on my FB page ..... I'm honestly gobstruck

If you are registered to vote in the CRT elections please support my nomination - my mission statement is...The Boating Trade has grown rapidly in the last 10 years yet the institutionalised views of British Waterways have created a huge lack of open communication, an unwillingness in areas of consultation and a shortfall in forward planning. Focusing on the consumer needs and the capabilities of the waterways is paramount to the Boating Trade. CRT must change and open regular communication with the small businesses and investors who support the network and help it grow. Marinas, Brokers & Boat Hire companies are the organisations finding new & profitable customers for future years and CRT must understand & support us doing this. Close & regular communication meetings, data sharing & cooperation will improve if I am elected to this role. Paul Lillie

I need a lie down to get over the hypocrisy ....

Takes all sorts. ..I remember committee members resigning when he somehow got on the Loughborough boat festival.

Following year they booted him out then ,surprise,surprise he held his own event at PLM on the same day..

Got to be one of his substance invoked wind ups

So are we saying Allan Richards has somewhat jumped the gun by saying there are only these 7 candidates then, As I can't see some of those who are saying they are in as part of this list......

1. Miss Ruth McCabe—a continuous cruiser
  2. Jim Owen—RBOA ex chairman
  3. Richard Phasey—St. Pancras Cruising Club
  4. Phil Prettyman—long term boat owner
  5. Stella Ridgeway—a continuous cruiser endorsed by NABO
  6. Vaughan Welch—Former IWA Trustee
  7. John Wickes—Rammey Marsh Cruising Club

No, I can't believe if it is on NarrowBoatWorld it could possibly be wrong, could it?

Actually I'm genuinely confused now!

Does anybody yet have a correct final list, if the one above is not it?