Eberspacher D5W Problems

Tony Fuller

Featured Posts

I have a problem with my Eberspacher D5W Heater which I have been unable to solve.

A few weeks ago first thing in the morning 'Ebby' failed to start. I did all the usual checks but failed to find the promlem.

Instead I fitted my complete spare D5W (kept for such an emergency) which fired up straight away.

I took the U/S unit home for a workbench repair.

I stripped down the unit & cleaned/de-coked the burner & re-assembled & tested. I set up a test rig with a good battery,water & fuel supply. I connected everything up but unit still failed to fire up.

I have applied 12volt DC to the Blower Motor, Water Pump, Fuel Pump & Glowplug & these all run OK. I have checked the continuity of the two boiler thermostats & have changed the flame sensor. I have also tried fitting a new burner contol box.

Also tried with another 12volt battery in case the previous one was suspect.

All I get when the thermostat wire is shorted out is a single 'click' (relay noise) from inside the controlbox.

I have checked all the wires & plulled all the plugs apart looking for faulty/loose connections.

As a retired engineer I can usually fix most things but this one has got me completely stumped.

It is probably something quite simple but I just can't find the problem.

Can anyone on the forum help me please.

Thank you.

Tony

I have had 2 air fan failures with these Ebersplutters. both times the failure 'took out' the electronic module. This, of course, 'takes out' the electronics, which means an expensive (and to my mind Too expensive) repair. Hope you fix it, but my advice, as always, is ditch it and getting something more reliable.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

Yes Ebby's can be a bit frustrating at times. However in my case I have applied a 12 volt supply to the air fan motor & it runs OK. Also I think the Control Box is OK as my spare contol box 'clicks' the same as the original.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Tony

Thanks Bob,

Yes Ebby's can be a bit frustrating at times. However in my case I have applied a 12 volt supply to the air fan motor & it runs OK. Also I think the Control Box is OK as my spare contol box 'clicks' the same as the original.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Tony

Try emailing nEverspacher and see if they'll help?

Hi p6rob,

Yes I would agree with you, I thought that this would be the likely problem.

So I have replaced some of the older wiring, made up better connectors & checked for good electrical connections all through.

I have tried another battery & had this on charge for a few hours but still just a 'click' from the control box.

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to try next !!

Tony

How can it be a voltage problem as the replacement, fired up immediately that points to a problem on the 'old' unit.

Of course if you have solved the problem on the 'old' unit but you could now have a voltage problem as it is not connected to the same supply.

If batteries are suspect try running the Eberspacher with the charger connected to the battery and turned on.

Be aware of possible gassing of battery so do it in a well ventilated space. wink.png

Hi Bottle

I think you have misread my posting. The US Eberspacher unit has been removed from the Boat & my replacement fitted & working OK.

The old US unit is on the Bench in my workshop at home with a fully charged stand alone battery.I have also tried to fire it up with the battery charger switched on.

Hi p6rob

The unit is an elderly D5W water heater, it just runs from an on/off switch & a timer/thermostat.I don't think that you can get error codes from this older model but someone on here might know if it is possible.

Thank you to everyone for your help. Please keep trying!!

Tony

Hi Tonka

Yes I think I have got an old service manual somewhere around. I will have a look & see if it gives any info on error codes. I do know there is a 'Test' output on the control box so perhaps it will be possible. It would certainly be a help if we can get the Ebby to tell us what is wrong with itself !!

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony

I knew what you had done and was only stating that it could not be a voltage problem in the original fitting as the replacement worked.

So pointed to a unit failure, not a voltage problem.

My comment about using the charger was in case that the battery you were using was fully charged but did not have any capacity.

You have eliminated that by using the charger.

So we are back to the unit.

H. Bowers in Stoke on Trent are familiar with the D5W. They got our 20 year old D5W going for not much money, although I have now got a brand new Webasto in the engine room waiting to go in since our D5W blower motor went phut. After eight years the only consistent issue I have identified is that D5Ws are extremely sensitive to voltage drop.

Only suggestion I have is have you tried swapping the ecu with the working one you have on the boat?

Hi Colin

Good idea that. I might just try that the next time I go down to the Boat.

Thanks

Tony

Hello Tony

I now have an unwanted D5W which undoubtedly has some bits in working condition. You are welcome to come and dig over the bones if you want! I have kept mine going for a number of years and it was with very mixed feelings that I finally decided to replace it. We moor on the Ashby and live in Leeds. Let me know if I can help.

Colin