Fishermen rights

pendle

Featured Posts

But are they? We arrived at York last year to find the local club had monopolised the visitors moorings at Museum Gardens (on the river). There was really nowhere else to go (safely) within a 90 minute cruise, whereas the fishermen had lots of alternatives. An altercation ensued. Some, but not all, of the fishermen were quite unreasonable, and yes, we were polite when explaining our difficulties. First and only time we have seen them there. But that can't be right!

I'm glad to hear it's not just me that rarely encounters any grumpy fishermen Ian! Same as with anyone else really - a smile or a cheery wave rarely goes unanswered. I think few of us realise how seriously most fishermen, and all match fishermen, take their business. Match fishermen in particular are concentrating very hard in what they're doing and are much busier than a non-fisherman could possibly imagine. We're natural allies in my opinion and Sustrans will happily tarmac over us both!

I think it was largely said tongue in cheek? I do find anglers have some strange (to me) habits, such as maintaining a minimum distance from each other when they could be having a chat.

Although fishing isn't my thing, I did manage to chop a massive one completely in half with my propellor this Summer, if only I could have found the rear half and stuck it together I'm sure I could have won a prize for it.

Look on the other hand, if you had your boat moored where there had been a fishing match arranged and the fisherman arrived later on, doesnt matter hours or a few days, would you move your boat for them to fish there match that they had paid for and arranged weeks before.

Oh and i am a happy fisherman and considerate to other folk :)

I think it was largely said tongue in cheek? I do find anglers have some strange (to me) habits, such as maintaining a minimum distance from each other when they could be having a chat.

Although fishing isn't my thing, I did manage to chop a massive one completely in half with my propellor this Summer, if only I could have found the rear half and stuck it together I'm sure I could have won a prize for it.

Not so strange really. If it's a match where you sit is pegged so you sit where you are allocated and concentrate on your fishing to try and win. If there is no comp then you still need some distance from one another as otherwise there is going to be a clash of rods and poles. When I did fish I often had chats over a sandwich with fellow anglers but if your fishing it takes some concentration and your attention needs to be on that. The singular concentration and being alone with your thoughts is part of the activity and pleasure.

Not so strange really. If it's a match where you sit is pegged so you sit where you are allocated and concentrate on your fishing to try and win. If there is no comp then you still need some distance from one another as otherwise there is going to be a clash of rods and poles. When I did fish I often had chats over a sandwich with fellow anglers but if your fishing it takes some concentration and your attention needs to be on that. The singular concentration and being alone with your thoughts is part of the activity and pleasure.

i agree, for those who dont fish then they will never understand it.

Look on the other hand, if you had your boat moored where there had been a fishing match arranged and the fisherman arrived later on, doesnt matter hours or a few days, would you move your boat for them to fish there match that they had paid for and arranged weeks before.

Oh and i am a happy fisherman and considerate to other folk :)[/quote

------------------------------------------------------------

Good point.

However I still think that to organise fishing on a river visitor mooring where there is no alternative morring facilities within five miles south and twenty miles north is probably not a good idea. It not as though they couldn't have a day on the opposite bank, or indeed up of down river a hundred metres or so.

i accept there may have been "fishy" reason why this is not practical.

Edited by Derek Porteous

Oh and i am a happy fisherman and considerate to other folk smile.png[/quote

------------------------------------------------------------

Good point.

However I still think that to organise fishing on a river visitor mooring where there is no alternative morring facilities within five miles south and twenty miles north is probably not a good idea. It not as though they couldn't have a day on the opposite bank, or indeed up of down river a hundred metres or so.

i accept there may have been "fishy" reason why this is not practical.

Yes if it is that kind of river then the organiser should of used a bit of common sense and decensy to arrange a different stretch.

The singular concentration and being alone with your thoughts is part of the activity and pleasure.

Yes, I'm sure it is. In all seriousness we get on well with the anglers. It's not my thing, and so I don't understand it, but then I'm sure the vast majority of them don't understand why anybody would want to own a narrowboat either.

Yes, I'm sure it is. In all seriousness we get on well with the anglers. It's not my thing, and so I don't understand it, but then I'm sure the vast majority of them don't understand why anybody would want to own a narrowboat either.

as i am both i understand both ways, although i like boats in all aspects and dont now own a NB.

I am not so sure about that. Many of the anglers I knew or know where into many water activities including boating as I am. I don't fish any more but I understand those that do. Of course some won't understand boating or wish to do it. Not liking angling or boating is fine thankfully we all like a different mix of things.

For instance although I used to enjoy fishing but since I did it for relaxation and stress relief I never really understood why I should make my pastime into a competition with other anglers.

Edited by churchward

Almost suprised by some of the stupid posts above. Have passed a load of anglers fishing a match this morning, had a right good laugh with them all. Spoke to another Friday, he was fishing a winding hole that I winded in. I apologised for disturbing his swim and he said no problem, he added without that without boats there is no canal. Anglers are like boaters, some happy some not. I suspect a few posters above are the latter.

Ian .

Not true....when I began boating, I made a special effort to greet every fisherman I passed...at tickover.....but after passing about 100 in the last few years, and only received a handful of smiles back, I've given up with them....now I couldn't be bothered...:) Their fault. Not mine.

No idea that's why I said this in my first line.

It seems it depends on whether the VM's are signed as such and the time of year. (not sure how they define 'boating season though)

I dont think you will find Waterways Wanderers have any authority over anything.

Not true....when I began boating, I made a special effort to greet every fisherman I passed...at tickover.....but after passing about 100 in the last few years, and only received a handful of smiles back, I've given up with them....now I couldn't be bothered...:) Their fault. Not mine.

Which part of my post isn't true?

Not true....when I began boating, I made a special effort to greet every fisherman I passed...at tickover.....but after passing about 100 in the last few years, and only received a handful of smiles back, I've given up with them....now I couldn't be bothered...smile.png Their fault. Not mine.

I think I agree with you. This was discussed on another thread but since I've been moaned at for passing too slowly ("stir it up a bit"), too fast ("you in a race?") on the far shore from the angler ("I'm fishing there!"), in the centre of the canal ("I'm fishing there!") too close to the angler ("Move out a bit") or the priceless one, too quietly ("Didn't hear you coming, you nearly 'smashed' into my rod") I now just go past exactly how I please ignoring whatever comment they may wish to pass.

• Greenie 1

I'm an angler and also a bailiff on the local canal. I have to say I have met a lot of grumpy anglers I have also met a lot of cheerful ones. I have fished from lock landings but am happy to move if a boat arrives and have helped boaters through. I can't remember the exact wording of the CRT signs but it does imply fishing from the lock landing is allowed boats have priority.

I've had a bad experience with a boater who insisted on mooring where I was fishing from a towpath on a long straight stretch with no facilities. He could have moored anywhere but chose to go where I was fishing (no one else was fishing the stretch) with the view of we pay more than you and we can moor anywhere. Technically it's true but I can't help thinking a little consideration on both signs is all that's needed.

In terms of a closed season for fishing it does apply to some sections of canal part of the section I look after is a SSSI so is subject to the closed season.

this bit.

"........I suspect a few posters above are the latter.........."

I took that as meaning the reason fisherman aren't friendly (to me) is that the issue is with me :)

Ah, sorry I simply meant that there are as many grumpy boaters as there are grumpy anglers. I am sure you are very cheerful Dean.

Ian.

I'm an angler and also a bailiff on the local canal. I have to say I have met a lot of grumpy anglers I have also met a lot of cheerful ones. I have fished from lock landings but am happy to move if a boat arrives and have helped boaters through. I can't remember the exact wording of the CRT signs but it does imply fishing from the lock landing is allowed boats have priority.

I've had a bad experience with a boater who insisted on mooring where I was fishing from a towpath on a long straight stretch with no facilities. He could have moored anywhere but chose to go where I was fishing (no one else was fishing the stretch) with the view of we pay more than you and we can moor anywhere. Technically it's true but I can't help thinking a little consideration on both signs is all that's needed.

In terms of a closed season for fishing it does apply to some sections of canal part of the section I look after is a SSSI so is subject to the closed season.

Perhaps you need to re-read the rules again:

Waterway Wanderers fishing rules
Permit holders may use a maximum of two rods.
No native fish species to be removed from the fishery under any circumstances.
Zander and non native crayfish must not be returned to the water once caught.
No fishing in the close season on waters where the close season currently applies.
Keepnets may be used but anglers must adhere to the Angling Trust keepnet code.
Permits must be carried at all times and must be made available to authorised bailiffs and Canal & River Trust staff on demand.
Anglers are strongly advised to hold insurance covering their third party risk arising out of their angling activities. (included as part of individual Angling Trust membership)
All permit holders are required to hold an Environment Agency rod licence
No fishing in the vicinity of overhead powerlines as signed by Canal & River Trust.
Fishing must not take place within 25 metres of a lock approach, swing bridge or water point.
No fishing between boats on permanent towing path moorings or at visitor moorings where so signed.
Where visitor moorings are not signed as to whether fishing is permitted, its is assumed that during the boating season those wishing to moor have priority, at other times access will be on a first come first served basis.
Anglers are requested to follow the spirit of the Waterways Code and act responsibly at all times.

Perhaps you need to re-read the rules again:

[/i][/font][/color]

They're not "The" rules, they're WW rules. Other club's rules may be very similar, but not necessarily the same. I only raise this so that noone gets the impression that these are necessarily universally understood by all anglers. I agree they ought to be though in order to prevent misunderstanding, which is where I would offer CRT come in. If they believe they have engaged with all parties, they've not done so effectively or we wouldn't be debating this subject or arguing with anglers. Well, maybe not so often! :)

Well I guess I'm in a minority.

I'm quite happy to either move or stay put (whichever is convenient for either side) if a match is on.
The only objection I've ever raised is when I woke up one morning to discover a random fisherman had climbed aboard and was trying to set his gear up on the cruiser stern of the boat
He got quite stroppy when I suggested that at least he could ask first

At which point I became grumpy.

Most fishermen I meet are quite friendly, (some aren't) but the same applies to everyone else on the cuts and rivers.
Live and let live

I'm a boater and a keen angler. I don't understand people who gain any pleasure at all from shopping. When I'm forced to go shopping, like when I'm running out of milk, I don't tend to see all around me with broad smiles as they merrily weave their way from one aisle to the next.

There again, to those who enjoy shopping, their enjoyment is just as valid to them as is the enjoyment I get from angling.

Angling is mostly a contemplative sport/ hobby/pastime. Many people don't wear broad smiles as they contemplate things.

They're not "The" rules, they're WW rules.

They may be WW rules but CRT in their guidelines say

Where not to fish

• Fishing is not allowed in lock chambers, within 25 metres (one boat length) of a lock approach, within 25 metres of a water point or in the vicinity of overhead powerlines.

Never mind signs, read the waterways code.

"Boat crews need access to the bank within 25 metres of locks or moveable bridges, so don't fish there"

Looks clear enough to me.