Winding, North Oxford Canal.

Southern Star

Featured Posts

Heading west from Rose Narrowboats at Stretton Stop towards Hawkesbury Junction, where is the first place possible to turn a 42' boat? I can't think of anywhere before Wyken Arm, but can anybody else? Is it likely to be possible to turn anywhere on the canal itself?

Ta.

Why not back up through Stretton Stop and turn in the arm? You'll easily turn a 42 footer there. Failing that you could be really cheeky and just edge your bow into the private wharf recently excavated on the bend just before Grimes Bridge but it would be good manners to ask the owners permission first.

Some good suggestions, thank you. I'll actually be starting about a mile west of Stretton Stop, so I think reversing there might be a bit of a pain. Good idea about the wharf by Grimes Bridge though, ditto under the M69 road bridge. Incidentally, I'm told the wharf by Grimes Bridge used to be used as a working boatyard in days gone by, but now the local council have refused planning permission for it to be returned to a working boatyard, dunno if that's true.

Incidentally, I'm told the wharf by Grimes Bridge used to be used as a working boatyard in days gone by, but now the local council have refused planning permission for it to be returned to a working boatyard, dunno if that's true.

No, the wharf was originally constructed in the early 1840's as a delivery point for materials used in construction of the Trent Valley Railway, opened in 1847. After the railway contract was completed the wharf was filled in but has recently been re-excavated by Les Wilson for his own private use. Although the North Oxford is probably 40 feet wide at this point, Les has a chain strung across the entrance so I'd strongly suggest that good manners is not the only reason for requesting his permission to wind.

I would second the other suggestion about the bend just past the M69 bridge. I haven't measured it but it's probably wide enough for a 50 foot boat to wind.