Beta Super Silent Engine

Jayseaess

Featured Posts

To some extent it depends on how the drive is taken off (hydraulic / inline / offset / electric)

I've only seen one (there may well be others but I didn't know to ask)

However it was exceedingly quiet. The boat was 'all electric' - i.e. for the domestics and really was whisper quiet. If you have it as 'freshwater cooled' it'll be even quieter as the water cooled manifold absorbs some of the exhaust noise.

Beta fit their engines with a hand pump connected to the sump - so I suspect it'll be at a height you can get a 2l milk bottle under!

Hopefully some one will be along shortly with more in-depth experience.

Super silent nb passed me at Anderton the other day heading into the exceedingly bright setting sun. Shortly afterwards heard a roar from their prop as it was given some welly in reverse. Whether it was the calming effect of the quiet propulsion that had lulled them into a catatonic state or they were simply blinded by the sun I don't know, but their bows where firmly planted on the canal bank rolleyes.gif

I have a beta 50 with a cocoon and hospital silencer, so I presume it's what your on about!

Oil changes are easy as i have a lift pump that is connected to the engine sump and the gearbox sump and operated by two valves.

The hard part is to change the oil filter!

That is situated right down the bottom right hand corner of the engine, wedged in between the engine mount and the fan belts! This has to be done whilst in the squat position in the swim, not an easy job if your of handsome proportions like my self!

Most other service points are at the top of the engine.

One rather nice point in having a quiet engine is that i can creep up on fishermen and if i'm in the mood, sound the horn at a reasonable (close) distance. I just love the reaction! icecream.gif

Nipper

Edited by nipper
  • Greenie 2

That's pure evil ;) although maybe fun.

I wonder if they too are lulled into a catatonic state by the nature of their hobby.

We have a nice yellow engine (vetus) and have been asked many times is that electric!

No but it has a great hospital silencer.

That's pure evil wink.png although maybe fun.

I wonder if they too are lulled into a catatonic state by the nature of their hobby.

I think the fisherman i saw yesterday was untill i came along, he certainly exercised his vocal chords accusing of taking up the whole of the Kennet and Avon!

I vented back that i only wanted 6ft 10" of it, cus the other 70 ft will be following close behind!

I never seen a man go so red with frustration and anger! argue.gif

Nipper

Edited by nipper

Hi Nipper

The lift pump you mentioned, was that something you have fitted or is it standard? I know they normally have on for the engine, but the gearbox option I have not seen.

Thanks

Nigel

I believe it was fitted from new, Thats all i can say about it! Makes it really easy!

Nipper

The Beta Super Silent in a cocoon is a doddle to service, daily checks are via two flaps which open to reveal water filler and dipstick, to do more detailed checks or engine service you simply remove all four acoustic top covers, the oil filter is located low on the right hand side, place oil absorbent spill mats under the filter to catch the oil which will escape when you unscrew the filter, a chain type filter wrench on the end of an extension from your socket set is ideal to undo the filter, the oil sump pump has a second ball valve to enable you to pump the oil from the gearbox.

Servicing or repair of this type of engine is no more difficult than a standard engine installation in my experience, when fitted with a Hospital Silencer they are stunningly quiet, I have had more complaints of prop generated noise than anything else.

Pricing

From the information I have the Beta Super Silence with Travel Power and Acoustic box is around £14252, basic Beta 43 starts at £7124

if you contact Beta they will e-mail you full details

Nigel

At that price I'll think I'll leave it.

At that price I'll think I'll leave it.

Cheaper to do it yourself or design much the same facilities into your build by using a large hospital silencer and lots of sound deadening material all around the engine bay.

Cheaper to do it yourself or design much the same facilities into your build by using a large hospital silencer and lots of sound deadening material all around the engine bay.

Seconded. I have a Beta75 With insulated bay above the waterline & especially deckboards.

People can sit on my back deck with engine running & listen to the honda EU two boats down.

They don't even know mine is running.