Batteries - which are the good ones!

Happydays66

Featured Posts

anyone got experiance of lithium

No but -

They are very very expensive

AND

require even more special charging / temperature control systems as evidenced by a fire in the (then) new A300 (?) aircraft a couple of years ago.

Your ID (above) gives a hint....

Traction [2v cells] are proven to last decades if correctly maintained and have cycle rating in the thousand+

with very good DoD recovery. [Dod=depth of discharge]

Next up are semi tractions.

Newer materials [lithium etc] look promising but no real world duration due to being fairly new. ie not many 10-15 year old lithium cells around at the moment. Loads of forklift batteries still going strong though.

DoD & Cycle rates need to be considered as well.

If liveaboard and running down to max DoD daily a cheap leisure with a 300 cycle rating may well be goosed in a year!

The lithium ion batteries in my iPod are still going strong and will be 10 years old this coming Christmas. (Bit small to power a boat though).

Edited for phat phingers.

How often do you use it though?.

Don't have the figures to hand but did look at the Apple Specs for the battery in the MacBook and I think it was about 1500 cycles, almost identical to our Trojans!

................Dave

For those interested in going lithium,

http://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/product/BAT524181200/?gclid=CPLE4PDIycgCFQ7jGwodprgFxA

Make sure you are sitting down, also they are 24v and each has its own charger built in.

I was sitting down, but slid off my chair onto the floor when I saw that......

For that sort of money I would go for NiFe cells as space is not a problem and I don't trust Lithium batteries both for life and for stability.

But given I don't have five grand lying around I'll stick with what I've got.

How often do you use it though?.

Don't have the figures to hand but did look at the Apple Specs for the battery in the MacBook and I think it was about 1500 cycles, almost identical to our Trojans!

................Dave

Until I retired 17 months ago it was used twice almost everyday during my 2 hour each way commute, and when walking the dog at weekends. Since then about an hour per day.

Battery used to last about 12 hours when it was new, it lasts aboutb10 hours now. Lion batteries are supposed to have a life of 500 cycles, so say 10 years if charged weekly.