Boat painter recommendations

Slim

Featured Posts

Can anyone suggest a good boat painter ideally in the Cropredy area but would travel.

I'm looking for a full, back to metal with all removable fittings removed job. Obviously I would like it done sooner rather than later but appreciate that a good job means a waiting list.

To set the scene, this time last year I booked it in with someone for the job to be done feb/ march 2016. Unfortunatly he's had serious accident and is no longer able to do the job. I' m uncomfortable with any alternatives offered. Happy to expain further via PM. The quoted price was circa 7k including fairly simple sign writing quoted at about £250

I've been down to Tooleys in Banbury today but there was no one there

If I'm slow in replying to anyone it's because I'm on the boat and dependant on the local pubs wifi( giffgaff coverage is c p)

Many thanks

Frank

Oxon Boat Painting Co. Based at Brinklow, but the boss lives much closer to Cropredy.

Highly recommended and we're still getting comments on our paint 18months later. I know there are many other happy customers on here.

http://www.oxonboatpainting.co.uk/

They used to use the tunnel at Fenny Compton as well, don't know if they still so.

I'll check on paperwork who repainted our boat, it was done over 3 years ago and it still looks like it was done yesterday (apart from a few spots where it looks like the previous owner argued with immovable objects)

My recommendation would be John Sanderson at Dadford Wharf

http://www.narrowboatpainting.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

5 years on and our boat still looks great following a back to bare metal repaint

I can confirm that. We had Helvetia painted three years ago by John, and she is still shiney. see this thread:- http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=79360&page=1

Edited by David Schweizer

Firstly, a big thanks to all those who responded. Much appreciated.

Over the weekend I identifed a couple of 'possibles'. One of these was the Warwickshire Fly Boat Painting Co ( or something similar) . Went there today and felt comfortable with what I found, saw and was told. They have a slot available in the new year so I'm going for it.

One of the points raised is the paint to be used. I'm not comfortable with the one suggested but the choice is up to me. What do people suggest. Answers on a postcard please. (that dates me)

Frank

I think you need to make sure the painter is happy using the type of paint you are thinking of but if the painter is any good that should not be a hurdle.

My personal preference is Craftmaster as I find that feels right when you are painting it on but I am sure others will mention many other types. Currently my boat is painted with Rapid Paint which is now rebranded as Symphony, I find that easy enough to paint also and was a little cheaper. The red does go chalky after a while and needs significant amount of carnuba polish which it drinks and then becomes much better. However at nearly 7 years I will be repainting the red handrails in the spring.

I am sure there will be much better people than me along shortly.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Craftmaster - excellent, Masons - I found this unsatisfactory and made an expensive mistake and discarded £100 worth of paint - it 'floculates'.

All paint requires careful treatments and regular polishing to look a good shine - Craftmaster 'Grey' needs regular treatments, but it looks lovely when new or just polished.

If painting in winter months take care over moisture levels and prepare to encounter 'Microscopopic Absorption' (Google it) or bubbling, it occours even with the most careful preparation, and painting - it's a curse which I am sure in inflicted upon us by our European Masters.

Have fun and make sure the signwriter puts 2 coats on lettering to cover dark colours.

OBP painted my boat (bare metal job) 4 years ago, results good, nice people to do business with.

Leo.

• Greenie 1

Masons, as such, has not existed for many years now, though various companies claim to be able to mix to their specifications. Their P type enamel was widely used by many coach painters painting boats back in the 80s and 90s and was highly regarded. The floculation issue I haven't encountered before with that brand specifically.

The micro blistering issues mentioned are very real, I would hesitate to recommend an outdoor job in winter months, but then again I'd always advise working under cover anyway.

As far as signwriting goes, I only second coat if necessary, the paints I use normally have sufficient pigment to cover in one go. Much depends on the techniques employed by the individual writer.

Dave

I've used International Toplac and Craftmaster on my boat... no comments about the Toplac, "Wow!", "Amazing", "Where did you get that paint?", are regular comments about the Craftmaster. It seems to have a depth and a shine to it that other paints dont seem to have.