I've only gone and bought a boat

Tecka

Featured Posts

So..... survey completed today. Hull, solid as a rock - no reduction in plate thickness what-so-ever (other than a spot I asked the surveyor to check as I'd seen a spot internally. A couple of internal issues, wood burning stove cracked, electrics not 100% (surveyors words - can't fault the equipment but why aren't the wires clipped?) Engine ran out of fuel during survey!

Basically, sorted out a little adjustment - and the engine will be sorted beforehand.

Blacking and new anodes paid for, need to transfer the money and I should be on board within a week.

Great news on the whole!clapping.gif

The boat I bought ran out of fuel to the dock for the survey as it conked out due to diesel bug!! They drained, cleaned, new filters and marine 16 treated it and so far no problems since. Check the gearbox oil level as surveyors don't check it if it needs tools to undo. Is the stove a squirrel? If so consider a steel bodied one rather than cast iron.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

Fuel ran out on way to survey for me as well. That will all be sorted for me.

The Stove isn't a squirrel (can't remember now) I will have a look at steel bodied when I get a chance.

What about fire cement repairs or does the risk make it not worth the risk?

Fuel ran out on way to survey for me as well. That will all be sorted for me.

The Stove isn't a squirrel (can't remember now) I will have a look at steel bodied when I get a chance.

What about fire cement repairs or does the risk make it not worth the risk?

If it's the actual stove body that's cracked then don't risk it as the crack could worsen while not under supervision and possible fumes if a piece fell off and could cause a possible fire. If there were cracks in my stove where there shouldn't be I would bin it! A photo would help.

Jamescheers.gif

Cheers James,

Piccie (or update that I've binned it) to follow.

I remember a trick with cast Iron from back in my engineering days of drilling at the end of a crack - I believe this helped to stop the crack developing further. tbh though at the risk to my health / that of my new boat I suspect I'll be binning and replacing.

Yeah, I made an offer below asking price (I'm the kind of person willing to haggle in primark tongue.png ) It's 98 according to the advert but in my head I had it as a 89. Might need to phone the surveyer and talk about price again.

Congratulations, I'm in a similar position to yourself.

Dare I ask how cheeky your offer was?

I was quite surprised how easily we were able to slice 5k+ from the asking price ☺

I'm very keen to know how much you old hats value our new prospective narrow boat, but it can wait for now.

Dare I ask how cheeky your offer was?

I was quite surprised how easily we were able to slice 5k+ from the asking price ☺

I'm very keen to know how much you old hats value our new prospective narrow boat, but it can wait for now.

The cynical rule of thumb is start below 50% and be prepared to wait.

If you see a boat you actually like, bid 2/3rds.

We got our latest one at 3/4s of asking, but it was priced to sell in the first place, and half had already been declined.

I think the old saying is you pays your money and you takes your chances.

We rejected our boat on the first walkthrough, then bought it two days later.

We still haven't seen one we would prefer

The cynical rule of thumb is start below 50% and be prepared to wait.

If you see a boat you actually like, bid 2/3rds.

We got our latest one at 3/4s of asking, but it was priced to sell in the first place, and half had already been declined.

I suppose that all depends how desperate the vendor is to sell, and how over-valued the selling price is. I've got a fairly good idea of how much my boat is worth from previous selling prices and the surveyor's valuation, and if I put it up for sale on brokerage then I would tell the broker to not even bother to phone me with an offer of half, or even two-thirds of the price tag.