What can be done about residential leisure moorer?

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

It's nothing to do with a sense of right and wrong either. It's pure spite. There's some that absolutely cannot stand that some are getting away with something when they themselves are not. They fall back on ideas of right and wrong to mask their petty spite. They talk about theft of public money, when in reality they couldn't give a single toss about such things. They don't like individuals getting away with something.

It's easy to cut through the bullshit of morality and right or wrong and reduce it to a measurable, material set of conditions. If they genuinely cared about ideas like the public good then they would do the opposite of your suggestion and instead of worrying about the person with barely a pot to piss in getting away with a licence fee or ct payment be up in arms over corporate tax avoidance. That's institutions though, it does nothing to sate their vindictive hunger.

Nothing to do with spite. To fail to pay council tax through deliberate evasion where that tax is due (the important bit) is a criminal offence, I would not hesitate to act. Right and wrong is a tort - a civil matter, council tax evasion is a criminal offence. And yes, I paid my taxes when I could not afford the bus to work.

Central Bedfordshire council invent an address for it in order to tag that to the council tax bill. However they also argue that you don't have the right to use it as a postal address nor to have your rubbish collected. Those are considered separate to the council tax billing procedure, bizarrely.

I would like to see that legally challenged. (or was it?)

You pay your council tax to receive council services as far as I am concerned.

Example of what your council tax helps to pay for

Edited by MJG

Jeez, has Jeremy Corbyn's fan club taken over the forum.

Some peeps need to jump back onto Planet earth & stop sounding like 60's hippies.

Not paying taxes...... right on Wolfie, power to the people. Give me a break.

Using a 1980's reference to bolster an argument that people are stuck in the past is a somewhat interesting approach.

Right and wrong is a tort - a civil matter, council tax evasion is a criminal offence. And yes, I paid my taxes when I could not afford the bus to work.

Because you thought it was the right thing to do, or because of the threat of punishment if you didn't?

1970's actually but glad you appreciate the approach.

Actually, opposing taxation is suggesting that the state should not be expected to provide for individuals. That's the very opposite of what Corbyn stands for.

It's nothing to do with a sense of right and wrong either. It's pure spite. There's some that absolutely cannot stand that some are getting away with something when they themselves are not. They fall back on ideas of right and wrong to mask their petty spite. They talk about theft of public money, when in reality they couldn't give a single toss about such things. They don't like individuals getting away with something.

It's easy to cut through the bullshit of morality and right or wrong and reduce it to a measurable, material set of conditions. If they genuinely cared about ideas like the public good then they would do the opposite of your suggestion and instead of worrying about the person with barely a pot to piss in getting away with a licence fee or ct payment be up in arms over corporate tax avoidance. That's institutions though, it does nothing to sate their vindictive hunger.

You claim to know what is in the minds of other people, which seems rather arrogant to me. In fact you have no idea why some people feel the need to complain about folk "taking the piss", whilst others do not. With your political leanings I would at least have though you would recognise that others don't always have the same views as you do, and nor should they. As I said, "live and let live" extends to more than just turning a blind eye to petty theft / evasion of paying fees. It also extends to allowing others to have a different way of looking at things. And those same people may well also be up in arms about corporate tax avoidance (even though, unlike the licence dodgers, it's legal) - you have no idea what is in their heads and neither are the two objections in any way mutually exclusive.

Someone is not a "fellow boater " if they are calling me all the f's and w's under the sun because they are being selfish after I have very politely asked them to consider the effect they are having on those around them!

From his point of view you are probably the one that comes across as selfish, trying to tell him what he can and can't do. It's impossible for us to judge as we are only getting your side of the story and your use of derogatory terms such as continuous moorer kind of indicate that your side of the story is somewhat biased.

I disagree, in my opinion you're mistaken. It's a satirical and slightly facetious (as opposed to childish) opening to a mature and very relevant thread. Since you've gone to the trouble of posting, please read more than the opening post (which has had its desired effect and attracted attention) and feel free to contribute a constructive argument.

Easy, shop them to the council both planning and the department that deals with council tax. Sorted. I didn't read all the thread as I got peed off with people bitching again.

So if you see someone mugging a frail old lady, you ignore it on the basis that the police will catch them eventually?

That has nothing to do with the topic, as you know I was referring to boaters who break the rules. It is nobody's business how they live or where they moor, only CRT can decide if they are in the wrong,As said previously they could be ill and have permission to do what they are doing, In which case only CRT and the boater will know and if the boater decides not to share that information that is his/her perogative.

Edited by GoodGurl

From his point of view you are probably the one that comes across as selfish, trying to tell him what he can and can't do. It's impossible for us to judge as we are only getting your side of the story and your use of derogatory terms such as continuous moorer kind of indicate that your side of the story is somewhat biased.

I think asking someone to stop running engine or genny at unsocial hours should not be regarded as being selfish, rather the opposite. "Continuous moorer" isn't a particulalry derogatory term either for someone who parks in the same place all the time, more just descriptive. Although I admit I'd be biased against someone who piles crap all over the canal side, disturbs the peace of the place to all hours and swears at their neighbours and would probably describe them slightly more strongly.

As, on occasion, i do and have done. Some sadist last year moored up next to me, sat on his roof and played the banjo (appallingly) while his accompanying female regaled me with off key folk songs. But as I'm no longer a liveaboard, I could just bugger off somewhere quieter. If your living on a mooring, you can't. While, of course, the other person could...

What on earth do you think his side of the story may be?

Your use of the word derogatory is totally incorrect as my use of words explaining his behaviour are actually descriptive and correct regardless of you egotistical opinion.

Yet again I think you have missed the point.

The OP in the other thread has paid for a mooring.

The person he has complained about is impacting on his environment for which he has paid

IF the person he was complaining about was also on his mooring he would have recourse with regards his anti-social behaviour via the landowner, who could insist on a standard of behaviour with the threat of eviction as a last resort.

IF the person he was complaining about was on CRT there would be recourse through CRT (who would probably do nothing serious about it)

IF the person is illegally squatting on council land then the OP's only recourse it via the council both on the squatting and the noise pollution

The whole thing is how do you deal with someone who takes the proverbial and upsets others who are keeping to the rules.#

Ignoring it is not a sensible option as it just causes the problem to get worse.

It has nothing to do with "not paying your way"

With the greatest of respect, it is you who have once again missed the point. The OP used the term CMer. Says it all. Now if you want to continue this angle, why not do it in the OP's thread and not mine which is where it makes more sense?

...people like you supporting selfish idiots rather than people who play fair are the kind of people who will mess it up for everyone else.

So I will mess "it" up for everyone else?

Two questions: what is "it"? And how is promoting a little less resentment and a little less "I chose to pay for something, it's not fair" messing said "it" up for everyone else?

Your response above has just perfectly encapsulated the impression I got from your own thread.