which water heater to replace Morco D51B?

Ca Jon

Featured Posts

If you are talking new ones, then there is almost zero choice anyway, and the Morco D61 seems to be considered about the best. Rinnai seems to receive less good press, even if you can find one.

People seem to prefer the Paloma, but these have not been available new for a long time, so the only option there would be a reconditioned one.

The Morco D61 is identically sized to the D51, and shares many components (depending to some extent on which model of the D51 - there were several). However it is not completely a straight one for one replacement, due to the flue outlet size being bigger on the D61 than the D51. However in some cases that may involve nothing more than discarding an adaptor from the old arrangement, I think. (I have done it, but a long while ago!).

If you are talking new ones, then there is almost zero choice anyway, and the Morco D61 seems to be considered about the best. Rinnai seems to receive less good press, even if you can find one.

People seem to prefer the Paloma, but these have not been available new for a long time, so the only option there would be a reconditioned one.

The Morco D61 is identically sized to the D51, and shares many components (depending to some extent on which model of the D51 - there were several). However it is not completely a straight one for one replacement, due to the flue outlet size being bigger on the D61 than the D51. However in some cases that may involve nothing more than discarding an adaptor from the old arrangement, I think. (I have done it, but a long while ago!).

Thats good to know, it is the D51B and it looks like the 61B is the one that will be easiest. Thanks Alan

Depending on your view of the "click" type piezo igniter on the "B" models, you might wish to consider instead the "D61E" which uses an AA battery to generate a continuous stream of sparks, and tends to light easier. (Otherwise they are identical). Typically the "E" model is about a tenner more than the "B" model, I think.

I've got a D61B and all I can say is it does what it's supposed makes cold water hot, but they all do that so what's there to choose between them?

Replacing a 51 with a 61 makes the most sense as is may just be a straight swap, however, you need to measure the hole in the roof early D51's came with an 83mm flue, later models and the D61's have a 90mm flue. If you have the smaller flue then as Alan says you may get luck and take out a spacer or you may need to cut a bigger hole in the roof.

K

http://www.morcoproducts.co.uk/resources/Retrofitting_or_Upgrading_a_Water_Heater.pdf

I've got a D61B and all I can say is it does what it's supposed makes cold water hot, but they all do that so what's there to choose between them?

Replacing a 51 with a 61 makes the most sense as is may just be a straight swap, however, you need to measure the hole in the roof early D51's came with an 83mm flue, later models and the D61's have a 90mm flue. If you have the smaller flue then as Alan says you may get luck and take out a spacer or you may need to cut a bigger hole in the roof.

K

http://www.morcoproducts.co.uk/resources/Retrofitting_or_Upgrading_a_Water_Heater.pdf

Thanks