3LW centrifugal water pump

PeterG

Featured Posts

I have just got a new to me 3lw fitted in my boat which appeared to be running fine for the couple of hours running but when back to base I noticed no hot water. This seems not to be unusual for these but I had to get home quickly so could not investigate further. On investigating today I noticed a drip from the water pump and topped up getting rid of some air in the system. On starting the engine the drip become a continuous run so the water pump must be shot.

Anyone near Calcutt that can advise as sounds like I need at the very least a recon from somewhere?

Where is the leak from, can you see? Leaks from the drain tap seem to be common. Otherwise its most likely the shaft seal, spares are available:-

http://www.gardner-enthusiast.com/index.php/search/gardner-lw/cooling-system/gardner-engine-water-pump-kit-a25501-detail

Alternatively try Redshaws in Daventry?

It is leaking from the back so I believe it is the shaft seal. This engine has not run for some time, rescued from a crane.

What is involved, is it something I can do easily enough as I have not seen these apart even though I have seen the parts list pictures?

Perhaps take it apart and see whats going on? Removing the pump from the engine looks to be straightforward enough.

In the manuals that were on the CD I left with you (?), did I include the Gardner book "Workshop, Tools Equipment and Instructional Drawings"? If so look at page 33 for a cross section of the casing.

I have not had one of these apart (yet), so cannot advise on what is required. Also we no longer more at Calcutts, so unfortunately we are not local enough to come and help. I am sure others on this forum will be along soon with first hand knowledge though!

It is leaking from the back so I believe it is the shaft seal. This engine has not run for some time, rescued from a crane.

What is involved, is it something I can do easily enough as I have not seen these apart even though I have seen the parts list pictures?

Removing the pump is as straightforward as it looks, drain the water, disconnect the pipes, remove the two nuts holding it in, then pull it out, might need a tap with to separate it.

Dismantling is straight forward, remove the nuts from the front cover and remove, depending on the age of the pump plus whether it has ever had a rebuild will dictate the dismantling process, if the thin steel washer is still in at the back of the pump, prise this out, If there is a spring visible then it is the older type with a spherical carbon seal, to separate this type push the washer down that is holding the collet rings in, remove the collet rings the spring can then be removed, the only thing holding the impeller in now is the fit in the bearing, tap out the impeller

If it is the later type with a ceramic seal, remove the circlip against the bearing tap out the impeller, the seal will come out with the impeller

If it is the ceramic seal type then the kit that jonesthenuke has linked to is the correct one, if it is the carbon seal type then part no K72800 is also required, the bearing also changed from a self aligning to radial ball race, hence the need for the spacer ring.

Additionally the earlier pumps were slightly smaller in diameter, 5" from memory, the currently available kits have a larger impeller which need to be cut down to fit.

Steve

Ok that sounds like a job for me to do then. Have seen the parts so I will get the complete kit just in case it still is the old arrangement as I believe it will be. The engine is 1961 or thereabouts but I believe the pump will not have been touched for a good long while.

Cheers Peter

• 2 weeks later...

How bad? Suggest you post some photos. Is it possible to fill with epoxy putty or could it be machined out and the area sleeved?

Edited to add:-

Bronze pump on Ebay (Shiny but at high cost!) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-Rare-Marine-Stationary-Gardner-Bronze-Water-Pump-LW-L2-/151849750691?hash=item235af350a3:g:Qv8AAOSwYHxWH58A , however this seller seems to have other spares too so may be worth a try.

Edited by jonesthenuke