Winding at Fenny Compton

boatsandsteam

Featured Posts

Have just bought a 62 Foot boat. On an old copy of Nicholson, I have written a note that the winding hole by bridge 136 at Fenny Compton is restricted to 50 feet. On subsequent copies no restriction is mentioned. Can anyone clarify please ( I am aware the watering point could get in the way)

As an alternate, how does the Marina view a quick wind in their entrance?

Thanks

There has in the past been a boat semi-permanently moored on the offside - ie the other side from the pub, which would also reduce the maximum length a bit. [An ex-colleague of mine used to own that boat].

It never obstructed me winding there as it was always moored up in the corner, well away from the gap in the piling that full length boats like to put the fore end into, to get around.

(This particular winding 'ole is rectangular rather than triangular, for those who have not seen it. Is it unique in this respect?)

Once you have winded at the marina entrance, what will they do about it? I remember that notice, and think it is most unpleasant.

And, of course, you can always do it under the cover of darkness.

Yes I too remember seeing a notice-& a boat winding under it. We didn't want to but it really made me want to turn -what justification can they have for not doing so?

Am always irritated by crt 'no winding' sign at entrance to derby canal above swarkstone lock on trent and Mersey. Seems the moorers there object, don't see why they should be allowed to stop boats turning - there's a huge area of crt water. Time to reopen the derby canal I reckon. Would make a great ring.

It is easy enough to wind at Fenny by the pub and also have a deep 62ft boat and have no problems doing that even with other boats moored. I find it easier turning there than at the marina entrance so do not be worried about it.

In theory I'd imagine that to avoid committing the tort of trespass in common law you need a marina's permission to enter whatever water is on the land they own, and that the boundary between them and CRT would probably run where the original bank was before the marina was dug, so to wind your boat in their entrance part of it would cross the boundary.

In practice this permission is implied for their moorers and anyone invited to visit for whatever services they offer passing boaters, and no sensible marina owner is going to care unless you cause a nuisance, such as a significant traffic jam at a time when the entrance is busy.

Also you could always argue that you were thinking of going in to buy something but changed your mind when your bow was in the entrance, and before you knew it your boat had turned round!

Have just bought a 62 Foot boat. On an old copy of Nicholson, I have written a note that the winding hole by bridge 136 at Fenny Compton is restricted to 50 feet. On subsequent copies no restriction is mentioned. Can anyone clarify please ( I am aware the watering point could get in the way)

As an alternate, how does the Marina view a quick wind in their entrance?

Thanks

I have turned a pair of 71'6 working boats at bridge 136 fairly recently without any problem (edit = one at a time), so a 62 footer should be easy.

It is probably easier to turn at bridge 136 than the marina entrance, but if I needed to turn at the marina I would not hesitate to.

Edited by pete harrison

In theory I'd imagine that to avoid committing the tort of trespass in common law you need a marina's permission to enter whatever water is on the land they own, and that the boundary between them and CRT would probably run where the original bank was before the marina was dug, so to wind your boat in their entrance part of it would cross the boundary.

In practice this permission is implied for their moorers and anyone invited to visit for whatever services they offer passing boaters, and no sensible marina owner is going to care unless you cause a nuisance, such as a significant traffic jam at a time when the entrance is busy.

Also you could always argue that you were thinking of going in to buy something but changed your mind when your bow was in the entrance, and before you knew it your boat had turned round!

A very interesting answer. Trying to get head round it. Would cause more problem to marinas if actually went in to wind saying had gone in to get diesel then didn't like the price or found it shut or whatever.

is trespass an offence if stick nose in entrance ? Wouldn't damage need to be done for it to be an offence?

Finally, do crt signs such as above Swarkstone lock have any legal force? Do our t & c s include obeying all signs?

A very interesting answer. Trying to get head round it. Would cause more problem to marinas if actually went in to wind saying had gone in to get diesel then didn't like the price or found it shut or whatever.

is trespass an offence if stick nose in entrance ? Wouldn't damage need to be done for it to be an offence?

Finally, do crt signs such as above Swarkstone lock have any legal force? Do our t & c s include obeying all signs?

The slight weakness in the argument, I think, is that the moorings for all the services are on the main channel ....

I can understand why some marinas say no winding because of the damage caused by those that cannot control their boats.

Looking at some of the damage caused to entrances the boat must have been going at full speed.

I realise that the damage could be caused by their moorers.

The slight weakness in the argument, I think, is that the moorings for all the services are on the main channel ....

True in that case but in the case of most marinas do need to go in.

I was once told that marinas put no winding signs up as boats winding cause a build up of silt in the entrance which the marina is responsible for removing. Don't know if there is any truth in that.

That's what the boat owners at the entrance to the derby canal claim. In that case it's easily wide enough to wind without actually going in to the actual canal entrance.

Anyway I was under the impression that manoeuvring helped dredge a channel.

True in that case but in the case of most marinas do need to go in.

That's what the boat owners at the entrance to the derby canal claim. In that case it's easily wide enough to wind without actually going in to the actual canal entrance.

Anyway I was under the impression that manoeuvring helped dredge a channel.

Manoeuvring a boat will just move the silt around, so putting the stern near the bank will deposit silt in the channel. That's not going to affect most of us but those with deep draughted boats may struggle. Infrequently used winding holes can become silted-up with material from the channel. What's needed is more dredging, to remove silt rather than just push it around.

Came through the bridge a couple of years ago to find a full length boat wedged across the cut with a strong wind holding it there. I helped the guys, but they had to remove one of the fenders to get it un jammed. I think the moored boat was a problem but a 62ft boat should be ok.