London Mooring

shakespearean

Featured Posts

How long does it take to find a London mooring? Weeks, months, years?

It's a total lottery. You need to be in the right place at the right time. There is no 'waiting list'. Keep trawling the CRT moorings site and pay nosebleed money to win an auction.

Usually cheaper to rent a flat...

Try the marinas, Willowtree, Highline yachting out West and Roydon in Essex ( North East) , its only the ones in town (especially central or east) that are hard to get. They're not on the CRT website, most are privately run.

I put my name on the Willowtree 'waiting list' about eight years ago... still waiting!

(Edit to change 'five' to 'eight' after thinking properly about when it must have been.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Willow Wren Wharf comes up quite a bit on the CRT site, and often they do not let.

I have no idea if it meets your transport criteria, (Hayes and Harlington station is walkable).

This one didn't let in May, and I can find no immediate evidence it has been re-offered since. (CRT don't seem to keen to maximise the money they might take by letting these!).

This is legitimately fully residential, unlike the majority of what is on offer.

Usually moorings available at High Line Yachting @ Northolt. I moored there for 9 months and would happily recommend it to anyone. It's very peaceful and quite 'green' considering it's in London. it is an 'online' boatyeard which means you moor along the canal (the private side) so you get to see boats passing as opposed to looking at the side of your neighbours cabin which you would in a marina. It's a 10 min walk to Northolt tube station.

Monthly costs are still lower. A 1-bed flat in a shitty area is about £1000 a month plus bills.

Why live there when you can rent for much less in wonderful Croydon, e.g.:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-36359607.html

Only £675pm for an apparently OK studio flat, handy for Tramlink. Job's a good-un.

If you have a few friends you can share a house with, £500pm per person is generally possible.

We need more space than a studio, and we're in our mid-30s and sick of house sharing.

I doubt any canal boat (except possibly the very biggest and most expensive) have more floor area than that studio flat.

But as Junior says, boats are far cooler!