compressor and air tools on board.

Djuwenda

Featured Posts

I am often prone to bouts of what I consider to be outside the box thinking. My friends just say I am an idiot.

I have been skimping on care and maintenance lately and I am trying to think of the most efficient way to bring the roof of my 50ft narrowboat back to bare metal before painting again.

A few other areas will also require work to get back to bare metal, the whole front deck, back deck, pigeon box and hatch cover.

I know from previous experience that sanding down paint, especially roof paint which is non slip will prove a great pain the backside, not to mention the fact that sanding pads will get torn the shred very quickly.

which brings me to the point. Does anyone on here have any experience of running a compressor on their boat?

I would want to run sanding and needle guns attachments from it. If possible perhaps a shot/sand blaster attachment too, I am sure I have see these around?

from my research I understand that I can choose between electric and petrol compressors. I also assume that sanding is likely to require a fairly cfmn rate and I imagine blasters, if available, will do too?

I only have 1kw of pure sine wave electricity available, which might limit my electric options somewhat?

Any experience or input gratefully received.

I'd suggest you need a land line to hook up to, an inverter of that size is not going to do the job.

A petrol driven compressor is feasible, but don't forget petrol on board needs planning and catering for.

Whichever way you go that sort of equipment is very heavy to be lugging around, storing inside when not being used and dragged outside to work, but above all ....... very attractive to scroats.

Consequently highly nick-able.

Have to had a look at using polycarbide discs and/or the Perago blaster discs http://cirrus-systems.orderfullfillment.co.uk/7-abrasive-disks ?

LCx

They are very good. Efficient. Stuff gets everywhere,where you wouldn't expect, but they do a good job. I hired the complete angle grinder and discs from a tool hire company. It was a heavy bit of kit. I think it was about twenty five pounds for a weekend. You would of course need shore power. I have heard of a roof being done in a few hours.

Hope this helps. Martyn

I have a small compressor. Runs fine on the batteries through a victron inverter. I run the engine when using it of course. A bit of a pain with a needle gun, as you have to keep stopping allowing the compressor to build up pressure again. Its on two wheels, so easy to move about, and not to bad to store away.

I've used it to paint the boat, for which it was ideal.

Expanding on the blow torch suggestion, question for the tech gurus, would one of these simply fit a normal boat type propane tank and then work ok? (The '110p' bit I don't understand, they sell a 220p one for twice the cost.)

eta - senior moment, forgot the link!!

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Bullfinch_Torch_Kits.html?gclid=CIbox-24kMgCFSsCwwodblcDwA

Edited by Mike Tee

Expanding on the blow torch suggestion, question for the tech gurus, would one of these simply fit a normal boat type propane tank and then work ok? (The '110p' bit I don't understand, they sell a 220p one for twice the cost.)

eta - senior moment, forgot the link!!

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Bullfinch_Torch_Kits.html?gclid=CIbox-24kMgCFSsCwwodblcDwA

Yes.

A compressor is a useful bit of kit but to run a half decent random orbital sander you would need a large compressor and tank to keep up.

Have a look the various tools you would like to run, and check out their air requirements. Most compressors will run any tool for a short period of time, ok for tools that only need to operate for a few seconds to complete the job, but very frustrating if you have an air hungry tool sanding attachment that means you have to stop work every couple of minutes.

If your planning a big job buy a 'workshop' belt driven compressor. Their quiter and last longer.

Be wary of high air delivery claims for a small machine which usually indicates a small capacity high geared compressor unit that has to run its nuts off and consequently wears out quickly.

Beware of machines that only quote Cubic Feet a Minute - CFM - as a measure of performance - you won't get that out of the airline.

Free Air Displacement - FAD- is what you should look for which is a measure of what the machine is truly capable of after the inherent inefficiencies are taken into account.

Be careful of needle guns they damage thin/soft metal very easily.

Spot sand blasters are great but buy a good one as the cheapies tend to have too hard a rubber.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

I have a small compressor. Runs fine on the batteries through a victron inverter. I run the engine when using it of course. A bit of a pain with a needle gun, as you have to keep stopping allowing the compressor to build up pressure again. Its on two wheels, so easy to move about, and not to bad to store away.

I've used it to paint the boat, for which it was ideal.

Coincidentally I bought a needle gun the other day to use with the compressor on Reg. The instructions were quite picky about having a device in the air supply to inject oil into it, to lubricate the gun.

No-one has mentioned this requirement yet...

Coincidentally I bought a needle gun the other day to use with the compressor on Reg. The instructions were quite picky about having a device in the air supply to inject oil into it, to lubricate the gun.

No-one has mentioned this requirement yet...

Depends how much you use it and how long you want it to last. For occasional use a quick squirt of oil down the air coupler will suffice.

Also if you install an inline oiler you cant use it for spraying

Depends how much you use it and how long you want it to last. For occasional use a quick squirt of oil down the air coupler will suffice.

Also if you install an inline oiler you cant use it for spraying

Fanx. I had the impression it wasn't really necessary for light use.

Fanx. I had the impression it wasn't really necessary for light use.

I've just rebuilt a seized Beta buzz gun that lived for two years in a very dusty environment that was never oiled from new. All it needed was a good clean.

Having said that its one of the better makes with a metal turbine. Plastic ones don't last long however much you oil them.

Was this with an oldfashioned pump up blow torch or modern gas fired? And were the internals fairly forgiving re heat coming through?

I've used both, but the one I prefer is like this. It connects directly to the gas bottle.

The metal doesn't get very hot. The paint very quickly blisters and comes off in swathes with a scraper. As I say, it's a very quick way of getting back to bare metal.

post-5123-0-00179100-1443268261.jpg

I use an inline oiler with male and female quick connectors and attach this to the tools that need oiling, this way the hose can be used for both sorts of tools. Cost me around 13 quid including a 500ml bottle of oil. But for the roof I used the blow torch!!