12v cooling fan on back of fridge

swift1894

Featured Posts

As that thread says, on many fridges there are terminals at the back of the fridge that you can use, so that the fan only runs when the compressor is on.

You might want to add in a switch so that you can choose whether to have the fan running or not. I also added LED indicator lights so that I can see from the other end of the boat if the compressor is running, and if one or both of the fans is running; and I also have another LED that replicates the low voltage warning light. Oh and I also added a couple of terminals terminals so that I can measure the voltage supplied to the fridge when it is running.

Please don't ask me what impact all this has on power consumption. (PS in this photo you can also just see the grille in the top of the worktop - I suspect that is more important in terms of power consumption - to let the warm air rise).

post-13477-0-77399900-1443069695_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Perhaps not cut a hole in the floor (dunno why not?) - but in the wall, so that the fans blow directly over the compressor; overspill then goes up over the condenser (coils if any). I put two old 10" computer server fans in series to give lots of air but near silent running

Thanks everyone.

I haven't pulled my mains powered fridge out yet but presume the terminals on the back that some people have mentioned are only on 12 volt fridges. (?)

Hmm - yes probably, mainly because 'most' 12v compressors are made by Danfoss and the terminals are on their compressors.

That's only a guess on my part...

Thanks everyone.

I haven't pulled my mains powered fridge out yet but presume the terminals on the back that some people have mentioned are only on 12 volt fridges. (?)

Yes

Perhaps not cut a hole in the floor (dunno why not?) - but in the wall, so that the fans blow directly over the compressor; overspill then goes up over the condenser (coils if any). I put two old 10" computer server fans in series to give lots of air but near silent running

I wouldn't get much air through the spray foam

I have a small ventilation grill near the top and on the right side of fridge, do not find heat excessive on mains or gas[got 3 way don't use 12v to juicy], as fridge is under draining board it doe's warm surface find it aide's drying of washing up, if warm weather open under sink cupboard doors to help air flow work's for me. Not livaboard so not on constantly if was might be an issue.

Been following this thread with interest

I have been installing a diesel central heating system (Not as off topic as it seems)

One of the problems is placing a second radiator in the saloon.

The only sensible place for a large (600 x 1100 double) radiator is on the back of the cabinet that holds the fridge and the freezer.

I have been concerned that 2Kw of heating on the other side of 1/2" of ply to the cooling fins of the fridge and freezer even with a foil backing to the rad would cause problems. This thread has given me an answer as it should be possible to put vents into the bilges with a couple of fans to force cool air across the white goods side of the panel......Cheers!!! cheers.gif