What do you think of these repair prices?

Happydays66

Featured Posts

Yes he says:

"Install auto/manual bilge pump ( ie auto bilge pump with switch) £275"

Which to me is completely different from "Replace failed auto/manual bilge pump". Describing the switching required in particular suggests it is a fresh installation where none exists at the moment.

Although I grant you, the thread title and text of the post says it is repair work, not installation work.

I suppose that the question of "a reasonable price" tends to be coloured by "how easy is it to do a competent DIY job".

If the task is one that I could do myself (even if it takes me all day), then £180 of labour doesn't LOOK like good value.

I disagree. It is daft to judge the 'reasonableness' of a quotation to carry out some work by how cheaply you could otherwise do it yourself.

It's best measured by how it compares to what other firms would charge for the same work, in my opinion.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Ah, I think we have found a cross-purpose here. Some of us (self included) were assuming that this was a new bilge pump fitted in an existing installation, i.e. pertinent wires, 'oles etc. were already there. You're talking about installing one from scratch in a boat which did not previously have one. If that's the case in the OP's boat, that does suddenly look much more reasonable.

I am of the same opinion - In post #9 I said :

If the £275 is inclusive of VAT (£220'ish exc VAT) then its probably not too bad IF it includes the welding / making of a separate bilge, drilling the hull, provision of skin fitting, bilge pump, piping, auto switch, manual switch, fuses and wiring up and running cables to the 'dashboard'/instrument panel.

Yes he says:

"Install auto/manual bilge pump ( ie auto bilge pump with switch) £275"

Which to me is completely different from "Replace failed auto/manual bilge pump". Describing the switching required in particular suggests it is a fresh installation where none exists at the moment.

Although I grant you, the thread title and text of the post says it is repair work, not installation work.

I disagree. It is daft the 'reasonableness' of a quotation to carry out some work by how cheaply you could otherwise do it yourself.

It's best measured by how it compares to what other firms would charge for the same work, in my opinion.

Absolutely. This brings back a memory of my late mother who was never comfortable when eating out when we were on holiday. She would look at the menu and indignantly say "I could cook it myself for less than half that price". This was Dad's cue to remind her gently that she did not need to cook it herself and that someone else would do the washing up too. At that she would reluctantly acquiesce and let Dad buy her dinner.

Sorry, off topic, it just reminded me. that's all.

I disagree. It is daft to judge the 'reasonableness' of a quotation to carry out some work by how cheaply you could otherwise do it yourself.

It rather depends on what you mean by "reasonableness"!

If you are talking "is this a fair price for the job, in comparison to what the market rate for the work is", you would be correct.

If I am looking at it from a viewpoint of "Is it reasonable to spend that much money on a job that I could competently do in a few hours for less than £100", then assuming that I have those hours available, it isn't reasonable.

So, the best answer is probably "That's a fair price if you NEED to get a professional to do it for you, but you could do it yourself for a lot less if you have the time available"

So, the best answer is probably "That's a fair price if you NEED to get a professional to do it for you, but you could do it yourself for a lot less if you have the time available"

And what if you could earn more than that by spending that 'time available' doing a bit of overtime at work?

ninja.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for your advice. Not doing too bad so far I think, with your help on this forum site. I got a further reduction on the boat so got it down from £15000 to £9500. With repaint and repairs which are now all booked in, the boat will maintain its value of the purchase price plus the repairs and repaint costs (confirmed by surveyor). Not that I will be selling the boat as I have been waiting 20 odd years to be able to buy and run one! Looking forward to getting stuck in on smaller maintenance jobs as I'm not the type of person to just chuck money at a problem and like to roll my sleeves up and get stuck in! I just need to get the bulk of work carried out by professionals as there are too many jobs to be done initially that I don't have time to do and they would start to take the pleasure out of buying the boat. Want to get it to the point I can take it out for a cruise at least! Looking forward to it. Thanks again.

Not doing too bad so far I think, with your help on this forum site. I got a further reduction on the boat so got it down from £15000 to £9500.

Crikey! Remind me to take you on as my negotiator next time I buy one.

I use a plastic washing-up bowl for this purpose. It wedges in the corner so no need to glue it down and the pump + hose make a snug fit inside.

I can go one better and don't even have the pump. When the bowl is half full i lift it out and chuck it back in the cut.