Fishing pools stealing fish from the cut....

Sabcat

Featured Posts

Having lived in ****** for a year I can confirm that ****** people do like to eat carp. Actually like probably isn't the right word. They eat it once a year on Christmas eve, it's the tradition. Just before Christmas the supermarkets have plastic tanks full of live carp. Obviously bred for the table, they were in a terrible state. Torn or no fins, sores on their bodies, a sorry sight. One of my more humorous students explained to me why they only eat them once a year. "Sir, they taste like crap"

Edited by Ricco1

I'm sick of all this XXXXXXXX why cant we all just get along.hug.gif

I've modified it for you.

Where abouts on the river wander mark ?? I used to work in Wandsworth and every afternoon we used to sit in the the pub garden where the wander goes into the Thames. There was always a Luminous glow to that river where we used to sit.

Darren

Anywhere from Poulter Park Carshalton down to Morden Savacentre. I managed to get a ticket to Morden Hall Angling Club too - a pretty bit of river.

Over the last few years the river has been transformed. Despite Thames Water killing all life from some stretches recently. Twenty years of resurrection of the river ruined in one day by TWA.

A very urban little gem. Have waders will sneak about.

http://www.wandlepiscators.net/?page_id=13

Wandle Trout - one of quite a few that day.

20141222_141815_resized_zpsea579247.jpg

Barbel over 7lb on size 18 hook to 2lb bottom.

20141222_135050_resized_zps47314ac7.jpg

Edited by mark99

Just out of curiosity, what is actually wrong with eating carp? I eat trout and a lot of fishermen go through all sorts of palaver fly fishing to catch them, am I a pagan?

Also since Canada Geese are regarded as a pest (although I quite like them!) they can also be legally killed under the terms of a General licence https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wild-birds-licence-to-take-or-kill-for-health-or-safety-purposes and if farmers are shooting them it'd be a pity for them to go to waste, wouldn't it :rolleyes: ??

We do seem to get a bit picky over what we should and shouldn't eat in this country, if you are carnivorous what difference does it make what meat you are eating. We make fun of people who choose not to eat pork but then are outraged when someone eats a dog, meat is meat:huh:

if they are reared for food, that's fine they are sold at a small size at an affordable price, I have just returned from a fisherie owned by a friend, it will not open until next year and so far he has spent £25,000 on carp, by the time it's ready to open his total expenditure on fish will be close to £40,000, his life savings, so how do you think he would feel to come to his lake and find some foreigner with five grands worth on a Barbie, the other issue is the total disregard for the laws of a country that has welcomed you with open arms, I recently caught two poles fishing on a nature reserve during the close season with a barbecue burning away on the bank waiting to cook what they were hoping to catch, so it's not really being picky to object to people coming from abroad breaking the law and stealing someone's livelihood,

I recently caught two emigration enthusiasts fishing on a nature reserve during the close season with a barbecue burning away on the bank waiting to cook what they were hoping to catch...

Fixed that for you, don't want to set everyone off again, for heavens sake don't try to say scottish people highland enthusiasts like to eat haggis either banned.gif

edit to remove possible racist term

Edited by Heffalump

if they are reared for food, that's fine they are sold at a small size at an affordable price, I have just returned from a fisherie owned by a friend, it will not open until next year and so far he has spent £25,000 on carp, by the time it's ready to open his total expenditure on fish will be close to £40,000, his life savings, so how do you think he would feel to come to his lake and find some foreigner with five grands worth on a Barbie, the other issue is the total disregard for the laws of a country that has welcomed you with open arms, I recently caught two poles fishing on a nature reserve during the close season with a barbecue burning away on the bank waiting to cook what they were hoping to catch, so it's not really being picky to object to people coming from abroad breaking the law and stealing someone's livelihood,

Why do you always assume that it will be some foreigner who is going to steal the fish? If there are £40,000 worth of fish to be had what makes you think that some good old fashioned Anglo-Saxon crooks wont there overnight with a net to steal and sell on (at a cut price) to another less honest fishery? Don't tell me it wouldn't happen because if there is that sort of money in it, it will happen.Whilst pottering around the system I have also passed a number of very poor looking people (looking like homeless) who speak with an English accent also fishing, is there a risk they might eat what they catch? I suppose that the thinking is that we need to protect our native criminals from those nasty Eastern European onesrolleyes.gif

Why do you always assume that it will be some foreigner who is going to steal the fish? If there are £40,000 worth of fish to be had what makes you think that some good old fashioned Anglo-Saxon crooks wont there overnight with a net to steal and sell on (at a cut price) to another less honest fishery? Don't tell me it wouldn't happen because if there is that sort of money in it, it will happen.Whilst pottering around the system I have also passed a number of very poor looking people (looking like homeless) who speak with an English accent also fishing, is there a risk they might eat what they catch? I suppose that the thinking is that we need to protect our native criminals from those nasty Eastern European ones:rolleyes:

. We can go around in circles all day and fish being stolen for money is a very small problem but a problem, every fish is photographed and recorded before being put in the lake,I even know of at least one lake were every fish is micro chipped,as each fish,s scale pattern is as individual as your fingerprint it is hard to put them in another lake and pretend they were there all along, I have owned fisheries and managed fisheries for others and have caught poachers of differing nationality,s but only the foreign ones are trying to steel the fish to eat the rest were just after a bit of free fishing, so please don't waste your time trying to brand me a racist, I,m just passing on experiences that every baliff in the country has encountered and tried to explain to you why it was unacceptable, infact I think you are probably more interested in making some kind of point than you are in fishing, so feel free to roll your eyes all you want it does not change fact

You may note that I didn't include the R word anywhere, but if you wish to take it that way, well your choice.

With regards to fish theft, you make my case for me, why would a fishery go to the trouble of micro chipping their fish if there was no theft problem? (or is that just supplying the chips in small bags to go with the fishhuh.png ). Micro-chipping is a bit of a pointless exercise if they are being netted to eat since the chip will get a bit cooked wont it? You have already told us that there are £40,000 of fish in your friends fishery which to me suggests that there would be money to be made for those of a criminal persuasion wishing to steal them. Micro chipping may come into its own if you found another fishery with what you believed to be your fish in it, not going to help much if it's in someone's pan though is it?

You may note that I didn't include the R word anywhere, but if you wish to take it that way, well your choice.

With regards to fish theft, you make my case for me, why would a fishery go to the trouble of micro chipping their fish if there was no theft problem? (or is that just supplying the chips in small bags to go with the fish:huh: ). Micro-chipping is a bit of a pointless exercise if they are being netted to eat since the chip will get a bit cooked wont it? You have already told us that there are £40,000 of fish in your friends fishery which to me suggests that there would be money to be made for those of a criminal persuasion wishing to steal them. Micro chipping may come into its own if you found another fishery with what you believed to be your fish in it, not going to help much if it's in someone's pan though is it?

I,ve now tried to explain the difference to you twice, and you still keep playing dumb and throwing in your silly little racist digs, as it's very clear you have very limited understanding of how fishing works in this country I will leave you to try and find someone else to provoke, may I suggest the virtual bar, you should slot in there totally unnoticed

I,ve now tried to explain the difference to you twice, and you still keep playing dumb and throwing in your silly little racist digs, as it's very clear you have very limited understanding of how fishing works in this country I will leave you to try and find someone else to provoke, may I suggest the virtual bar, you should slot in there totally unnoticed

You are quite correct I have little interest in worm drowning in this country, I was merely addressing the criminal side of it and given the figures you quote, £40,000 worth in the fishery, £5000 worth on a barbecue???? (hell of a barbecue) I would be amazed if those of a criminal persuasion didn't show an interest. They are also unlikely to bog around with rod either since an electronic stun and net would probably haul them in quicker.

You are quite correct I have little interest in worm drowning in this country, I was merely addressing the criminal side of it and given the figures you quote, £40,000 worth in the fishery, £5000 worth on a barbecue???? (hell of a barbecue) I would be amazed if those of a criminal persuasion didn't show an interest. They are also unlikely to bog around with rod either since an electronic stun and net would probably haul them in quicker.

I suspect we are talking about two different kinds of theft. The fishery with thousands of pounds of fish in will attract one type of criminal and the canal with a few nice carp will attract another. What each set of criminals do with their catch will probably be different as well.

I suspect we are talking about two different kinds of theft. The fishery with thousands of pounds of fish in will attract one type of criminal and the canal with a few nice carp will attract another. What each set of criminals do with their catch will probably be different as well.

Pretty much true.

However most angling clubs are having to mitigate the risk posed by EE's taking fish illegally. I don't care if that's thought of a racist or not, it's factist.

Pretty much true.

However most angling clubs are having to mitigate the risk posed by EE's taking fish illegally. I don't care if that's thought of a racist or not, it's factist.

The point I was trying to make without mentioning any ethnicity is that some nationalities take carp to eat (illegal) and the UK isn't in general one of those nationalities.

There is indeed theft of carp by criminals of all nationalities. I remember cases a few years ago of English anglers being caught and prosecuted for stealing carp in france and attempting to bring them back across the channel.

Where the difference lies is in that of culture and practice. In England coarse fish have been routinely returned for some time. Since the end of the second world war, at least. This practice has been taken on board by virtually every angler. The thought of taking a coarse fish to eat is an abhorrence. Then Eastern Europeans arrive, who have very different ideas. To them all fish are food. Naturally this leads to conflict. I'm pretty sure that time and education will sort this out but right now, there is a problem.

By the way using the term 'worm drowning' does you no favours. I'd probably be bored rigid by some of your interests or hobbies, but don't feel the need to attempt to rubbish them.

Well,I'm half *olish & agree that some *oles are fishing for/eating carp(my *olish dad would not have given carp house room !)Was interested to see that a large Morrisons in Brum was actually selling carp-obviously knows its local customers !

Trina(or Katarzyna which is my *olish name).

• Greenie 1

There is indeed theft of carp by criminals of all nationalities. I remember cases a few years ago of English anglers being caught and prosecuted for stealing carp in france and attempting to bring them back across the channel.

Where the difference lies is in that of culture and practice. In England coarse fish have been routinely returned for some time. Since the end of the second world war, at least. This practice has been taken on board by virtually every angler. The thought of taking a coarse fish to eat is an abhorrence. Then Eastern Europeans arrive, who have very different ideas. To them all fish are food. Naturally this leads to conflict. I'm pretty sure that time and education will sort this out but right now, there is a problem.

By the way using the term 'worm drowning' does you no favours. I'd probably be bored rigid by some of your interests or hobbies, but don't feel the need to attempt to rubbish them.

You mean no-one eats wild trout or Salmon any more? I'm surprised.

I have to say that as far a fishermen go I tolerate them but that is about it, I've given up trying to accommodate them. They never look as though they are taking any real pleasure in their sport and as a passing boater whatever action I take will be wrong. I pass on the opposite side of the canal to where they are fishing and they complain that I'm crossing where their line is. I pass in the middle, the same, pass close to them at your peril. Pass quickly and they shout about the wash, pass slowly and they call for you to 'stir it up a bit' the comedy highlight was being shouted at by some idiot in Worksop who claimed I was travelling too quietly, he hadn't heard me coming and I'd nearly "smashed into his rod", I told him my 60' narrow boat was in 'stealth' mode which was why he hadn't seen it, I think that one went right over his headhuh.png . If I now choose to take the p*ss out of them,that is my justified choice. If I had just one say, "Cheers Guv" as I slow down for them my attitude towards their sport might change, but that's never going to happen.

Edited to add:

And don't even let me start on the ignorant, bone-heads fishing from the Lock Moorings who look at me as though it is my fault that I have to come in and disturb them for some pointless purpose, like working the lockmad.gif (Rant over!)

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

You mean no-one eats wild trout or Salmon any more? I'm surprised.

I have to say that as far a fishermen go I tolerate them but that is about it, I've given up trying to accommodate them. They never look as though they are taking any real pleasure in their sport and as a passing boater whatever action I take will be wrong. I pass on the opposite side of the canal to where they are fishing and they complain that I'm crossing where their line is. I pass in the middle, the same, pass close to them at your peril. Pass quickly and they shout about the wash, pass slowly and they call for you to 'stir it up a bit' the comedy highlight was being shouted at by some idiot in Worksop who claimed I was travelling too quietly, he hadn't heard me coming and I'd nearly "smashed into his rod", I told him my 60' narrow boat was in 'stealth' mode which was why he hadn't seen it, I think that one went right over his headhuh.png . If I now choose to take the p*ss out of them,that is my justified choice. If I had just one say, "Cheers Guv" as I slow down for them my attitude towards their sport might change, but that's never going to happen.

Edited to add:

And don't even let me start on the ignorant, bone-heads fishing from the Lock Moorings who look at me as though it is my fault that I have to come in and disturb them for some pointless purpose, like working the lockmad.gif (Rant over!)

I said coarse fish. Salmon and trout are game fish. These are regularly taken to eat but less so of late due to reduction of numbers, particularly salmon.

It's good that you tolerate anglers, as they have just as much right to use the waters of the canal as you do and unlike dog walkers etc., pay a licence fee. All you need to do is slow down a little as you approach an angler, just as you would a moored boat, and go down the middle of the canal. Most anglers will appreciate this, and it's no loss to you. I agree there are some miserable gits around that you can't seem to please whatever you do, but that goes for all walks of life.

the comedy highlight was being shouted at by some idiot in Worksop who claimed I was travelling too quietly, he hadn't heard me coming and I'd nearly "smashed into his rod",

We were once in danger of smashing into a rod so gave a gentle toot on the horn (shouts hadn't been any use) only to be shouted at for using the horn.

I said coarse fish. Salmon and trout are game fish. These are regularly taken to eat but less so of late due to reduction of numbers, particularly salmon.

It's good that you tolerate anglers, as they have just as much right to use the waters of the canal as you do and unlike dog walkers etc., pay a licence fee. All you need to do is slow down a little as you approach an angler, just as you would a moored boat, and go down the middle of the canal. Most anglers will appreciate this, and it's no loss to you. I agree there are some miserable gits around that you can't seem to please whatever you do, but that goes for all walks of life.

It seems that the angling fraternity have something of a monopoly on this since I've yet to come across a happy angler. Perhaps I should start returning the favour of whinging to him (invariably a him) whenever I see an angler for some misdeed " Hear why have you left this float right in front of my boat?" etc.etc. But then I think I'd prefer to just enjoy the waterways rather then whinge, perhaps it'd be nice if the anglers did the same.

I thought the thread was about fishing lakeries stealing the fish. When did that become an ethnicity?

Hi my name's Jim and I'm from concreteland

The conversation I had with the angler was real but this thread was never about fishing lakes stealing fish, I know, I started it.