Fishing pools stealing fish from the cut....

Sabcat

Featured Posts

You mean no-one eats wild trout or Salmon any more? I'm surprised.

I have to say that as far a fishermen go I tolerate them but that is about it, I've given up trying to accommodate them. They never look as though they are taking any real pleasure in their sport and as a passing boater whatever action I take will be wrong. I pass on the opposite side of the canal to where they are fishing and they complain that I'm crossing where their line is. I pass in the middle, the same, pass close to them at your peril. Pass quickly and they shout about the wash, pass slowly and they call for you to 'stir it up a bit' the comedy highlight was being shouted at by some idiot in Worksop who claimed I was travelling too quietly, he hadn't heard me coming and I'd nearly "smashed into his rod", I told him my 60' narrow boat was in 'stealth' mode which was why he hadn't seen it, I think that one went right over his headhuh.png . If I now choose to take the p*ss out of them,that is my justified choice. If I had just one say, "Cheers Guv" as I slow down for them my attitude towards their sport might change, but that's never going to happen.

Edited to add:

And don't even let me start on the ignorant, bone-heads fishing from the Lock Moorings who look at me as though it is my fault that I have to come in and disturb them for some pointless purpose, like working the lockmad.gif (Rant over!)

virtual greenie made me smile i had a load of hassle at a lock mooring with 5 fishermen they just didnt get it that i had to moor there and couldnt go into hover mode pratts

Well,I'm half *olish & agree that some *oles are fishing for/eating carp(my *olish dad would not have given carp house room !)Was interested to see that a large Morrisons in Brum was actually selling carp-obviously knows its local customers !

Trina(or Katarzyna which is my *olish name).

The fact that Polish people sometimes eat carp is not Evidence that Polish people (or any other nationality) remove carp from the canals.

Unless, of course, somebody Capitally challenged has actually seen a fishing pole catching one and Taking it Away?

I had a load of hassle at a lock mooring with 5 fishermen they just didn't get it that i had to moor there and couldn't go into hover mode

I had an 'issue' with an angler in a bridge hole -- managed to catch his line on the propeller as I went through. I'm sure he thought it was my fault...

The fact that Polish people sometimes eat carp is not Evidence that Polish people (or any other nationality) remove carp from the canals.

Unless, of course, somebody Capitally challenged has actually seen a fishing pole catching one and Taking it Away?

Actually, I'd say it is circumstantial evidence that Polish people are more likely to remove carp from canals than nationalities that don't eat carp.

I once was a group of foreign lads struggling to lift a dustbin full of water over the fence by a canal. They may well have been African but their pale skin and the accent in which they spoke to me suggests they were not English.

I'd be making wild assumptions if I guessed their nationality and what they were doing.

I had an 'issue' with an angler in a bridge hole -- managed to catch his line on the propeller as I went through. I'm sure he thought it was my fault...

Given the skill that anglers will tell you is necessary to land a decent Carp I would have thought that they'd be lucky to catch one. I've often seen people for whom English doesn't seem to be their first language spinning in the canal, I can only assume they are after pike, a fish that seems to be hated by a lot of anglers. Would it be OK for them to eat pike?(I've no idea what it may taste like!)

Given the skill that anglers will tell you is necessary to land a decent Carp I would have thought that they'd be lucky to catch one. I've often seen people for whom English doesn't seem to be their first language spinning in the canal, I can only assume they are after pike, a fish that seems to be hated by a lot of anglers. Would it be OK for them to eat pike?(I've no idea what it may taste like!)

I've eaten pike and it tastes of nothing much. Closest I can describe is it tastes a bit like a river smells, by a weir. Or the smell of wet earth, after a thunderstorm

I thought there was a regulation/rule which prohibited fish being removed from canals whatever their species. Am I wrong?

I thought there was a regulation/rule which prohibited fish being removed from canals whatever their species. Am I wrong?

Removal of fish from the canal is an offence under both Environment Agency byelaws and the 1968 Theft Act. All native fish species including pike and carp must be returned to the water. Please report any fish movement immediately on 0800 807060.

I remember a few years ago their were signs asking Anglers to contact the EA if they caught a very large Pyke, Some Pyke were dragging Ducks under and eating them.

Removal of fish from the canal is an offence under both Environment Agency byelaws and the 1968 Theft Act. All native fish species including pike and carp must be returned to the water. Please report any fish movement immediately on 0800 807060.

I remember a few years ago their were signs asking Anglers to contact the EA if they caught a very large Pyke, Some Pyke were dragging Ducks under and eating them.

Not according to the Environment Agency website https://www.gov.uk/freshwater-rod-fishing-rules/fish-size-and-catch-limits

The Theft Act offence isn't entirely clear relating to canals either http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/schedule/1 are all canals Private Property? If so anyone drowning maggots could be accused of Attempting to Take Fish under the Act. If they use the 'defence' that they were going to put them back, well so could anyone until they actually catch and make off with the fish.

And how do we know it was Pyke taking the ducks? he was told not to give his name rolleyes.gif

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

oow not sure I just quoted that from the Canal & River Trust site, it even has the EA Number .

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/features/guidelines-for-fishing-along-canals-and-rivers

Guess they are not sure lol

I've eaten pike and it tastes of nothing much. Closest I can describe is it tastes a bit like a river smells, by a weir. Or the smell of wet earth, after a thunderstorm

Most accurate description I have come across about eating pike was......wet cotton wool full of little pins.....

50 or so years ago when I used to indulge in freshwater fishing, it was quite common on smaller rivers to remove any small jacks caught "to improve the fishing"