Boat painting

Happydays66

Featured Posts

Third posting from me! Have posted re compression test and mooring. Once I have corrected surveyors priority recommendations I will be getting the boat repainted. I want it professionally painted which means taking it back to the metal, treating rust, and several layers of undercoat and top coat.

Can anybody recommend good paint companies in Cheshire region please? So far quotes have been disappointing in that companies are saying to make it worth their while they are going to have to charge me for a 40 foot boat or 45 foot boat. This is ironic as I bought a smaller boat to keep maintenance costs low!

Again, I am not looking for cheap deals as I just want to pay a fair price for a good job.

Thanks

The reason there will be a minimum size cut off is that several large overheads are the same whatever size boat.

Hire of dock, hire of any equipment and time are all items of expense which can only be controlled by a certain amount.

The time factor is because you can still only paint one colour a side on a given day whatever size of boat, just because it is 30 foot doesn't mean you can mask up for coachlines on the same day as painting a large panel.

Why not paint it yourself? We done ours! (photos if you send a PM).

We used Rylard's paint - looks OK to us.

It all gets scratched moments after you set sail anyway, low hanging tree branches, banging into other boats (which have been painted better), tunnel walls...

• Greenie 1

If your trying to keep maintenance costs low then why not check if the boat actually needs a bare metal re-paint?

If the paint is basically sound then simply flatting through to the oxidised layer to 'good' paint before repainting would be good enough.

All depends on how many repaints the boat has had.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for the tips. Booked in for a paint job in April at £4800 where I bought the boat and am having repairs carried out. It seemed the most practical solution after a lot of thought.

The boat is a 35 foot rust bucket needing a full professional paint job so doing it myself was not an option as will need 4 to 5 weeks of constant de rust and paint work. Bought the boat because it has a new complete professional fit out inside apart from bathroom which needs me to re grout it and replace shower parts.

After paint the boat ,Slime and growth are relatively easy to remove while the bottom is still wet, but let the stuff dry and you will have to chisel it off. Fortunately most boat yards pressure wash the bottom as soon as they haul the boat, and many will also knock off hard growth with a long-handled scraper.