knot

emlclcy

Featured Posts

I've got a rather old book, but this video does the same .. moving to the left, take the next strand over the strand you've just gone under, and under the next one.

The third tuck is the tricky bit. NB knots and splices are not the same...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=7&v=pLox_ajDGLo

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

I've got a rather old book, but this video does the same .. moving to the left, take the next strand over the strand you've just gone under, and under the next one.

The third tuck is the tricky bit. NB knots and splices are not the same...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=7&v=pLox_ajDGLo

Nor are bends and hitches

That's a nicely done video. As you say, that third tuck is the one that seems to make the difference - and it will still work even if you get a bit of a scruffy splice

Richard

Nor are bends and hitches

That's a nicely done video. As you say, that third tuck is the one that seems to make the difference - and it will still work even if you get a bit of a scruffy splice

Richard

The video might be nicely done, but the splice isn't. It's a fairly scruffy job without each strand being 'settled' into the lay before doing the next tuck, and of only the usual two and a half tucks ( the first tuck counts as a half tuck), which is fine for natural fibre rope. The rope that's used here looks to me like Polyester (nylon), and because it's so smooth and slippery it needs at least two more full tucks to be reliable.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

But being polyester/nylon he was able to finish it neatly with a hot knife to cut and seal the ends in one go. Not so easy with natural fibre.

I don't think that'll be much of a consolation if the splice starts 'drawing' and fails under heavy strain.

Why do you need a spliced loop on a centre rope? If it's to go through the centre eye then why not just use a bowline? I use a bowline with a hitch to be on the safe side. You could put your spliced loop through the eye and then put the standing end through the loop I suppose. I'm not sure which is stronger.

What you don't want is a loop in the standing end of the rope as that could get caught on something. Just use a backsplice.

Edited by blackrose

The video might be nicely done, but the splice isn't. It's a fairly scruffy job without each strand being 'settled' into the lay before doing the next tuck, and of only the usual two and a half tucks ( the first tuck counts as a half tuck), which is fine for natural fibre rope. The rope that's used here looks to me like Polyester (nylon), and because it's so smooth and slippery it needs at least two more full tucks to be reliable.

I'm looking forward to your superior video Tony

Richard

I prefer lines with whipped ends rather than backs splices. They always jam at the most inconvenient time.

Seconded! I would never have a backsplice anywhere near any of the very many lumpy water boats I have looked after over the years.

The ends of lines should always have either a stopper knot, or be free to run.

As with so many things in life, whipping is the answer...

Why do you need a spliced loop on a centre rope? If it's to go through the centre eye then why not just use a bowline? I use a bowline with a hitch to be on the safe side. You could put your spliced loop through the eye and then put the standing end through the loop I suppose. I'm not sure which is stronger.

What you don't want is a loop in the standing end of the rope as that could get caught on something. Just use a backsplice.

It's generally accepted that a splice is stronger than knot. IIRC a splice retains 75% of the ropes strength compared to 50% for a knot

As sailors we make knots rather than tie them.....

Seconded! I would never have a backsplice anywhere near any of the very many lumpy water boats I have looked after over the years.

The ends of lines should always have either a stopper knot, or be free to run.

As with so many things in life, whipping is the answer...

Horses for courses. Lines and sheets at sea run through blocks and eyes and stuff. I don't have any small gaps that handling lines have to pass through, and so I'm happy to have decorative splices on the end

Richard

It's generally accepted that a splice is stronger than knot. IIRC a splice retains 75% of the ropes strength compared to 50% for a knot

As sailors we make knots rather than tie them.....

Yes, I'm sure you're right, but I'm also sure that a bowline on a decent rope is plenty strong enough to hold a narrowboat.

I prefer lines with whipped ends rather than backs splices. They always jam at the most inconvenient time.

The lamptrimmer on the Aden used to call a backsplice a "dog's cock". It was a good companion to a monkey's fist. The trouble with a DC is that it doubles the CSA of the end of the rope.

N