Buying boat this week - need advice re mooring etc

Happydays66

Featured Posts

If the surveyor is refusing to issue a BSC for a matter which is advisory only for private boats, you should take this up with the BSS office.

You could, of course, do this. You may even be right so to do. Personally, whether the surveyor is right or wrong on whether this contentious point is a show stopper, it sounds like good sense and at worse errs on the safe side. I'd rather put a small amount of time, effort and money into sorting out the physical issue itself than have a load of stress and hassle fighting over whether it's enforceable or not. It's your choice, of course, and I'm not advocating you simply roll over whatever happens, but if you start your boating experience fighting I don't think you'll get the enjoyment from it that some of us do. Other folks mileage may vary! :)

My surveyor won't give me a new BSC without this repair. It was top of his list as was capping off an unused outlet 10 inches above the waterline.

Maybe sometimes the boater is reliant on the surveyors views and interpretations of the BSS.

I repeat it is not a BSS failure, the boat can be leaking and its not a BSS failure. The only way he could fail the exhaust if it was bad between the engine and the hull. Also I thought you said the boat has 2 years to run on its BSS, in which case you dont need a new certificate.

Something does not ring true here unless you are using the boat as a HIRE Boat then the 10" rule does apply.

I realise there is a fixed licence fee that I have to pay and my boat has 2 years bsc to run and has had a full survey. Will the insurance company want to see the survey report which has reported good hull but needs exhaust outlet raising 7 inches as 3 inches above waterline at the moment (I expect due to recent fit out). Could that prevent me getting insurance until remedied?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

It doesnt need a BSS for another two years, you can licence the boat as it is. You dont get a BSS certificate these days

It doesnt need a BSS for another two years, you can licence the boat as it is. You dont get a BSS certificate these days

I had a BSS done under the 'new system' (29th April 2015 - expiry 29 April 2019) and I received a 2 page report

It is titled :

BSS Examination Report : BSSR-xxxxxx/15

BSS Certificate

It lists what 'systems' are on board and what where checked

It shows how the gas system was checked (Bubble or manometer)

It has the question "Did the boat meet all of the applicable minimum safety requirements" and the answer "Yes"

What was it I received ?

I hadn't thought of Runcorn. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The boat seller agreed to a further reduction on the boat so that I could fund the repairs needed without paying more than the boat would be worth on completion of the repairs. I've bought the boat!

So now I can start enjoying it as the problems and costs were taking the fun out of it. I just need to be careful now and not get carried away paying for things I could do myself!