so ... first night on my boat

Morticiah

Featured Posts

Well, thank you all for your lovely replies! I slept extremely well amongst the piles of clothes that I'm probably not going to need.

It was beautiful to wake up this morning and watch the ducks, sit out on deck and I even managed to make breakfast on the range cooker! :-)

I do now realise that I really do not need any of the stuff that I carefully put into a Storage Locker, so I reckon a carboot sale might have to feature in my future.

The sun is shining and I am truly happy.

Edit to fix typo - I'm a bit strange about things like that

Edited by Morticiah

I cant wait to get on one. People try scare you off it for many reasons, but for me, id rather pay 20 grand odd for a never ending adventure of many subjects, than live in bricks and mortar and pay a mortgage till im about dead. Ive got mental health issues, psyhical issues, yet keeping active helps me, i have an overactive mind, im brilliant with engines, mechanicals, electricals, i can fix anything, so yeah, what you just described sounds like fun to me lol

• Greenie 1

cheers.gif

* sings badly * I so luckee! luckee, luckee, luckee!

I was woken up this morning by ducks pecking the side of the boat bote. How amazing is that. (or at least I hope that was what was happening!)

I woke up laughing.

I tried to feed the ducks but they swam off with disdainful looks! Obviously my offerings were sub-optimal.

I cant wait to get on one. People try scare you off it for many reasons, but for me, id rather pay 20 grand odd for a never ending adventure of many subjects, than live in bricks and mortar and pay a mortgage till im about dead. Ive got mental health issues, psyhical issues, yet keeping active helps me, i have an overactive mind, im brilliant with engines, mechanicals, electricals, i can fix anything, so yeah, what you just described sounds like fun to me lol

Hi Scrabble, I knew that people would try to put me off so I simply didn't tell most of them until the day I moved on.

The look on my sons face was classic! He was very shocked and worried as I have some mobility problems but as long as I keep active by moving/walking I'm ok. He's now happy, because I am happy. Though I had a long lecture about falling in, over etc. :-D

I hope you get your boat soon - this truly has been the best thing I've done. Life is an adventure, a journey - so go for it!

cheers.gif

I was woken up this morning by ducks pecking the side of the boat bote. How amazing is that. (or at least I hope that was what was happening!)

I woke up laughing.

I tried to feed the ducks but they swam off with disdainful looks! Obviously my offerings were sub-optimal.

Hi Scrabble, I knew that people would try to put me off so I simply didn't tell most of them until the day I moved on.

The look on my sons face was classic! He was very shocked and worried as I have some mobility problems but as long as I keep active by moving/walking I'm ok. He's now happy, because I am happy. Though I had a long lecture about falling in, over etc. :-D

I hope you get your boat soon - this truly has been the best thing I've done. Life is an adventure, a journey - so go for it!

Never feed the ducks from your boat, unless you want them learning your a soft touch and never leaving you alone :)

I cant wait to get on one. People try scare you off it for many reasons,> snip

One of the reasons that I, at least, try and put people off boat living is that too many look at it through rose tinted spectacles without seriously looking at the down sides (and lets face it there are a few). Lots of people who talk about it, lack the resourcefulness and resilience that you need to not only do it but to enjoy it.

The ones that are not put off by the thoughts of being frozen in a mile from the nearest water down a muddy path or from the way that any conversation with boaters seems to end up about toilets unsure.png and can not just exist but be happy being an electrickery miser and a collector of any dead tree bits that come into view. Those that have the right attitude wacko.png and just love boating in any of its forms I welcome with open arms smile.pngsmile.png

and will help with any answers I have.....Usually only to be contradicted by other replies

cheers.gif

I was woken up this morning by ducks pecking the side of the boat bote.

Well I'm pleased to see you are an avid student of BOILERSPEKE!

I'm always shocked at how few peeps no how to speel 'bote' krekctly.

Well I'm pleased to see you are an avid student of BOILERSPEKE!

I'm always shocked at how few peeps no how to speel 'bote' krekctly.

Given my job I don't have a lot of choice if I want the work lads to unnerstan' me.

I had to learn a whole new language (boilerspeke) to be accepted!

• 4 weeks later...

I remember last December when I had my tonsils removed at the ripe age of 42 and my mate said to me "just come and stay at our house you can't stay on the boat" I had my mate drop me off after day surgery unable to speak or swallow,I lit the fire and sent him home to the mercy of soap opera land!

Edited by Ajna

One of the reasons that I, at least, try and put people off boat living is that too many look at it through rose tinted spectacles without seriously looking at the down sides (and lets face it there are a few). Lots of people who talk about it, lack the resourcefulness and resilience that you need to not only do it but to enjoy it.

Too true. Those who are actually suited to living afloat won't be put off by warnings about the downsides and it might just prevent some deluded individuals who aren't suited and need a reality check from making a big mistake.

Edited by blackrose

Too true. Those who are actually suited to living afloat won't be put off by warnings about the downsides and it might just prevent some deluded individuals who aren't suited and need a reality check from making a big mistake.

I found researching the idea horrifying, I can imagine a lot of people don't get past that stage. It made me all the more determined and I bloody love it.