what does this light mean?

KarlosMacronius

Featured Posts

Hello all,

This will probably sound like a ridicuously 'noobish' question but I've never had a boat with a decent instrument panel before so: what does the orange light mark IGN in the attached picture indicate?

The engine (thornycroft 80D) starts up fine with this light (and an associated buzzer) remaining on for a few minutes. I thought it most likely to be oil pressure but now doubt it a bit.

Thanks for any info!

Also does anyone have any idea what the nearby switch might do? (the small silver one closest to the light) its not the bilge pump or tunnel light.

post-19082-0-89230500-1442596490_thumb.jpg

The "IGN" light shows whether the alternator is fully charging both sets of batteries. You say it stays on for a few minutes, try revving the engine shortly after you have started it and see if it goes out. If it does, then it is.

As for the other switch, then if it's not for the tunnel light or the bilge pump, then I'd say the horn would be third on the list. Have you tried it?

As for the other switch, then if it's not for the tunnel light or the bilge pump, then I'd say the horn would be third on the list. Have you tried it?

Not the automatic self distruct switch is it?

Perhaps a second bilge pump situated in the living accommodation? Seems to be an on off switch rather than a momentary type so wouldn't have thought for a horn?

Or... Perhaps it is a manual alternator excite switch. If you flick it does the ign light go out ?

The lamp staying on could indicate a failing rectifier in the alternator.

Possible that it is a self - returning toggle switch used for a horn but I would expect a push button normally :unsure:

Edited by magnetman

The "IGN" light shows whether the alternator is fully charging both sets of batteries. You say it stays on for a few minutes, try revving the engine shortly after you have started it and see if it goes out. If it does, then it is.

Point of Order... No it doesn't.

All it tells you is the alternator excitation current is present. The light will still go out if one or more of the rectifier diodes in the alternator is goosed and the alternator is no longer charging properly. IT will also go out if you've forgotten to turn ON the domestic battery bank so it can never be relied upon to indicate "the alternator is fully charging both sets of batteries" as you state...

• Greenie 2

above this panel is an on/off switch for tunnel light and a push button for the horn. the cabin bilge is conected tot he engine bilge so a seperate bilge pump is unlikely. (also the black pull switch at the top right is marked bilge pump, though the pump doesnt work!) I will test the mystery switch over the weekend.

thanks for all the replies, at least i know its not going to indicate anything that can damage the engine if I put it in gear whilst its lit.

Point of Order... No it doesn't.

All it tells you is the alternator excitation current is present. The light will still go out if one or more of the rectifier diodes in the alternator is goosed and the alternator is no longer charging properly. IT will also go out if you've forgotten to turn ON the domestic battery bank so it can never be relied upon to indicate "the alternator is fully charging both sets of batteries" as you state...

normally if one of the diodes is goosed it glows, likewise on old dynamos when the black box was on its way out or the brushes in the dynamo it glowed

It could perhaps be for navigation lights if they are or have been previously fitted to the boat.

And for the ign lamp it would be useful to know if the intensity of the glow changes at all when the engine is running (assuming the alternator drive belt is present)

In my limited experience the light can glow if there is a rectifier problem but less brightly than when the key is initially turned before starting the engine.

Wheres Gibbo or snibble when you need 'em :rolleyes:

above this panel is an on/off switch for tunnel light and a push button for the horn. the cabin bilge is conected tot he engine bilge so a seperate bilge pump is unlikely. (also the black pull switch at the top right is marked bilge pump, though the pump doesnt work!) I will test the mystery switch over the weekend.

thanks for all the replies, at least i know its not going to indicate anything that can damage the engine if I put it in gear whilst its lit.

It could just be "the mystery switch" which all second-hand cars bought in the 1980's had somewhere underneath the dashboard. smile.png

It's a sign of the times you know - we are all of to hell in a hand cart I tell you. What's happened to the world?

I'd have switched that switch by now, purely in the pursuit of knowledge you know.

Mind you, you have to be prepared to take the consequences - disaster, fire, bafflement...

Richard

.... "when you try and operate one of these weird black controls which are labelled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it" (Z. Beeblebrox)

LCx

Ford Prefect: 'What does it say'

Arthur Dent: 'It says 'Please do not press this button again''

Richard

My thoughts are that the switch could be for a back light for the instrument panel.

Highly likely I agree. On Volvo instrument panels for example there are two, one is an momentary alarm test button and the other a toggle instrument light one.

It's a sign of the times you know - we are all of to hell in a hand cart I tell you. What's happened to the world?

I'd have switched that switch by now, purely in the pursuit of knowledge you know.

Mind you, you have to be prepared to take the consequences - disaster, fire, bafflement...

Richard

No curiosity the yoof of the cut.....couldn't be an electric seacock could it? Edited by larkshall

I'll bet it switches on the invisibility cloak.

Do other boats tend to crash into you when this switch is operated?

Ah, my Mitsubishi Delica had a cloaking device. Despite the damn thing being so big (oversized chunky off-road tyres and a huge body lift) people still couldn't see it. I looked high and low for the switch and / or fuse: couldn't find it...