Radice Shaft Seal

Featured Posts

Glad you got the seal fitted and you're pleased with it!

Thanks for all your advice, it seems fine to date. I will be reporting progress ;)

The good thing is I didn't need to buy a new shaft (or pay for drydocking) since the seal is shorter than the previous one and runs on fresh shaft. Given the amount of wear on the shaft, there is no way it would have sealed on that portion. Also the included installation sleeve is a simple but excellent piece of kit meaning that the seals don't get damaged on fitting.

Great so far, and to be honest it is economical enough to renew it as a matter of course at the next drydocking (likely 4 years away.)

One question if I may: Is it OK to insert silicone grease when changing engine oil (usually every 150 hrs) or is that over the top? Thanks.

The advice is to grease every 6 months or 400 hours. You can never over-do it, and it's usually easier to do all maintenance at once to keep on top of it.

Many thanks. I did have a piece of paper with the details on, but lost it.

Interesting read about the seal, and the rope burn.

The rope thing happened when the stern gear was maybe a couple of years old. Despite that, pleased to say the cutless has held up well with very small amount of play detectable.

The jury is out for me as to whether I prefer conventional stern gear, as to be fair the first Vetus seal had been fitted very badly by the builder from new, and was still reasonably water tight. I not as impressed with the newer design seal from Vetus.

When the cutless is finally knackered, I will have a better idea about the longevity of the Radice and will make a decision then as to whether go back to a solid bearing , stuffing box and greaser, like my previous NB, or fit a new cultess and "greaserless" seal as at present. Hopefully it will be greaserless, but time will tell.