River Thames above Oxford

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

Can you either point me to where there is info on this stretch of River Thames or give me your opinion please.

Plus when I buy a licence for the River Thames coming from Reading to Oxford will this cover me for the "above" section an approx how long a licence should I get?

Thanks

The Thames from Oxford up to Lechlade is considered by most to be the best part of the river. One major plus to us ditchcrawlers is that most of the tupperware can't get under Osney Bridge so the river is much quieter past Oxford.

We use Nicholsons and Imray for the Thames, both are pretty good, but I think my naviguesser prefers the Imray guide.

As to how long a licence... How long is your piece of string? You could do Oxford - Lechlade - Oxford in a week, but why rush? Just be careful because the EA have a strange licencing policy and it isn't always logical how they work out their licencing charges - worth a look on the website before you fetch up at your first Thames lock, although the Lockies aren't there to rip you off, ask them for their advice, it is usually worth listening to.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/420058/LIT_10050.pdf

Hope this helps...

Can you either point me to where there is info on this stretch of River Thames or give me your opinion please.

Plus when I buy a licence for the River Thames coming from Reading to Oxford will this cover me for the "above" section an approx how long a licence should I get?

Thanks

Not sure if you were asking if it is the same licence above and below Oxford, if you are then yes it is. If you are coming on the Thames from the K&A then you will buy a licence at the first upstream lock which is in Reading. The licences are 1 day, 1 week, 1 month. Deepening on the lock keeper they may let you buy 2 weeks, but we had on the was very patronising when I wanted to do that, and would only let me have 1 week, and then get another when that ran out. The EA licensing is not slick that is for sure. Above Oxford it is ver quiet, even in August we only shared locks a few times, and 90% of the few moving boats are Narrowboats.

A day licence is actually two as they give you the 2nd day free. Depending on the lockie you can get almost three days out of it if they are generous with the start time. IIRC though a week is only about £20 more than one day so much better value, £56 sticks in my mind.

We're on the Thames and being that colours our opinions. We 'push on' a bit - but not rush, 'cos we're locals we focus on where we're going (on to the ditchy system), so don't dither in between.

From Reading we'd take 1 1/2 days to Oxford and 2 days max: to Lechlade (tend to stop at (say) Grafton as it's windey above that and Lechlade has little to offer - battling around the meanders doesn't justify the effort - first time it does!). Grafton to Lechlade has few moorings to our taste.

For folks new to the River plus I should encourage others to cruise gently, perhaps a week up and less down (there's always some downstream flow - even if you can't see it.

Above Eynsham it's very rural with few pubs or shops - will suit those who like quiet and / or fishing; so take your choice.

EA licences encourage you to buy a week (or more) - so the extra cost over two days is good value. You should be able to buy two separate weeks. if the lockie says 'no' then - use the system to your advantage by buying the second week to get you an extra day. I like to play the rules but it annoys me

if the temporary staff aren't trained properly - then it's EA's loss -pissed of by temporary staff (sometimes 'residents' not knowing the system). I want folks to enjoy the River - if need be sod the Establishment.....

As the (now) preceding poster has intimated - it depends on what you want. For me and my management, it's a quiet mooring and possibly a sight of a 'lesser spotted woozle bird' that gives it its magic. However that's not for all.....

I was recently on the Thames and the lockie sold me a week's licence which was much cheaper than the 4 days I needed.

Above Oxford there is nothing but rural isolation and an occasional boat.

Below Oxford there is everything you would expect from the Thames - glamorous boats, houses, hotels, gardens................

It's a matter of taste.

Edited by Murflynn

The Thames from Oxford up to Lechlade is considered by most to be the best part of the river.

Really?

If you like cruising though miles of endless tight bends with the occasional out-of-control hire boat coming the other way on the wrong side, surrounded by thousands of acres of boring reed beds and/or flat featureless fields, then yes it's the best part.

I don't though. I expect you can tell!

ninja.gif

Enjoy it we did. What do you think of the canal going down into Oxford?

Lovely, apart from the motorway noise around about Banbury.

Bumped into crap in bridge 'oles near Banbury too, worse than parts of the BCN!

Changing the subject:

1) College Cruisers here in Oxford are selling diesel at £1 a litre, take it or leave it, no split. What's the diesel situation above Oxford?

2) I'm posting from The Old Bookbinders in Jericho. It's a 2 minute walk from the footbridge near College Cruisers, opposite the cul de sac leading to their boatyard (featured in the 'Morse' episode 'The Dead of Jericho'?) Wonderful French inspired food. Highly recommended!

Really?

If you like cruising though miles of endless tight bends with the occasional out-of-control hire boat coming the other way on the wrong side, surrounded by thousands of acres of boring reed beds and/or flat featureless fields, then yes it's the best part.

I don't though. I expect you can tell!

ninja.gif

exactly clapping.gif

We love the Thames above Oxford, particularly the tight bends and isolation. Wild mooring is fun too, but put an anchor down when you are on pins, just in case they pull out. Thank goodness many don't like it. It would rather spoil it if it became too popular.

The moorings near Kelmscott Manor are good but if you want to visit the manor then look at the web site and find out what days it is open. We also had a walk from Buscott Lock to Buscott Park but it would have been much quicker by bike! On the way back we took a right along the footpaths. Much better than the road.

Also make sure that you stop at Northmoor Lock and inspect the paddle and rymer weir. It is the last full width one left. The lock keeper there gave us answers to many questions on it operation.

We were up there just a few weeks ago. It was our second visit and we loved it just as much.

Nick

Changing the subject:

1) College Cruisers here in Oxford are selling diesel at £1 a litre, take it or leave it, no split. What's the diesel situation above Oxford?

2) I'm posting from The Old Bookbinders in Jericho. It's a 2 minute walk from the footbridge near College Cruisers, opposite the cul de sac leading to their boatyard (featured in the 'Morse' episode 'The Dead of Jericho'?) Wonderful French inspired food. Highly recommended!

The boatyard up at Eynsham lets you self declare, can't remember how much it was, 75p perhaps about 2 or 3 weeks ago? Between Eynsham and Pinkhill locks - diesel pump is by the crane.

Changing the subject:

We did the same and went into bookbinders a month ago, decent beer but the menu was not to taste, we ate elsewhere!

I was more thinking of the canal between Dukes Cut and Oxford, reminiscent of the W&E to me, as opposed to the canal north of there which is great. Oxford council would do well to visit Birmingham and see how it should be done.

We did the same and went into bookbinders a month ago, decent beer but the menu was not to taste, we ate elsewhere!

I was more thinking of the canal between Dukes Cut and Oxford, reminiscent of the W&E to me, as opposed to the canal north of there which is great. Oxford council would do well to visit Birmingham and see how it should be done.

And do something about digging up the car park to reinstate the basin!

N

When a city has the mighty River Thames running through it, it's not too surprising it turns it's back on the dirty canal...

Frankly I prefer it that way. The Jericho bit is a delight and remains unspoiled (so far) by the attention of city planners.

When a city has the mighty River Thames running through it, it's not too surprising it turns it's back on the dirty canal...

Frankly I prefer it that way. The Jericho bit is a delight and remains unspoiled (so far) by the attention of city planners.

Hear! Hear!

It's good to see a bit on non tarted up canal occasionally. Like the Icknield Loop. Visit it before the developers.

N

Changing the subject:

http://diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk/