4LW compressor

Alenafour

Featured Posts

I used to have a belt driven compressor on my 4LW but I got rid of it cos it made more noise than the engine!!

I just bought a 240v mini compressor ( like Lidl are selling at the moment) and charge it up then switch it off before I cruise. It holds enough pressure for a couple of days should I need the horn. Much better than having something running all the time the engine's on, just in case you might need to use the horn once in a blue moon.

Earlier in the day, I was about to offer a 7 Cu ft / min compressor - but then, I thought WFT - sledge hammers and nut - as later posts showed by implication.

I've always wanted to have a Corvette / Destroyer whoop-whoop-whoop (going astern) signal, to remind 'us' of the Navy that we used to have. Difficult to do that with compressed air...

However - it could be solved less expensively, and with less effort with a 50W true RMS speaker and amplifier driven by a model boat sound generator (eBay), plus you can select different tunes (Please NOT Colonel Bogey or Cucaracha).

Alternatively a cheap (replace every two years) 'klaxon' horn is B.loud. Mine sound a bit castrated - so adds to the gongozlers' amusement

the only problem with running a compressor from an engine is its going to be trying to fill an air tank all the time while 99.9% of the time the horn wont be used and the storage air tank will be blowing off every couple of minutes.

Use an ex-vehicle AC compressor with an electric clutch, and fit a pressure switch to the air bottle.

I have one fitted to my Harley, it's bloody great !

yes, if I'm impressed I'll get one for the bike too. It's annoying not to be able to make a car driver jump out of their skin when they "didn't seen you" because the standard horn just farts.

I am ebaying right now lol.

looks good.

Well, great, I start a thread and now I have to wait a few months because you're suddenly in competition with me.

Do you want me to bid up every thing you're bidding on?

Tell you what, just buy the one Richard linked to and then I can get on with finding my own.

Richard that World War 1 Hooter went for £210 on ebay, crikey I wonder who bought it lol

It was a nice one.

Edited by grumpy146