4LW compressor

Alenafour

Featured Posts

I would like to fit a 'bloody loud' airhorn, driven by a compressor and tank on my 4LW. I am guessing that back in the day this was a fairly standard thing to do.

Does anyone know what parts were commonly used (if my guess is correct) and where on the engine is the PTO?

Failing that, any ideas for running one from the front engine alternator pulley? I have a spare single v-belt pulley behind the double belt alternator pulley.

Well the PTO for the pumps on automotive LW's is on the timing case, so a starting point would be to see if you engine has this or not. would look like this LINKY (above the pulley)

The other slight issue might be that as far as I recall the pumps fitted here as standard were vacuum not pressure pumps. meant for brake systems

I investigated having an air horn on my new build boat some years ago, although not sure this was ever a standard. A post horn was converted with the addition of an air sound driver from a truck horn. This was the resulting sound when coupled directly to an industrial compressor set to a mere 30 psi, and before the project was shelved.

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/s5je8s04ic/airhorn.mp3

Development would have added a compressor storage tank (as you intend) feeding a solenoid operated air valve for instantaneous sound. The compressor would have been a DC electric one and would suggest this would be the cheaper option rather than the hassle of fitting a mechanical one to your 4LW. Old thread here on similar topic.

Note the typical cheap car air horn compressor is way too feeble in terms of volume and/or pressure to fill a tank, and certainly no good to feed a large air horn directly.

A decent size air receiver tank, would power an air hooter or a nice steam whistle for quite a few good blasts. The receiver could be pumped up with a bike pump, foot pump, 12v mini compressor or orally like a balloon.

In place of an air hooter a musical wind instrument could be connected. Clarinets make the most beautiful sounds. Or with a baritone sax sinister warning dirges could be blown. It would need to be a reed instrument..

Edited by bizzard

A decent size air receiver tank, would power an air hooter or a nice steam whistle for quite a few good blasts. The receiver could be pumped up with a bike pump, foot pump, 12v mini compressor or orally like a balloon.

In place of an air hooter a musical wind instrument could be connected. Clarinets make the most beautiful sounds. Or with a baritone sax sinister warning dirges could be blown. It would need to be a reed instrument..

Always thought about hooking my bagpipes up to a compressor, would make playing them a damn sight simpler!

I thought Listeroid was a type of breath freshener until I discovered the D-type

Yes, I guess this could do the job;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Quad-Train-Air-Horn-Hose-150db-Loud-150-PSI-Kit-/271796780919?hash=item3f4859bf77

except I have two things; a large Gardner engine under-employed, and a reluctance to spend £130 if I can help it.

Well it's not that bit that makes the noise, it's just a question of whether it would fill the reservoir to the pressure needed.

Yes - eventually...

How big a reservoir to what pressure?

And stop messing about and buy a decent electric horn

Richard