We mean well, but ....

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

I can't get the photo in the OP big enough to read what it says

Can anyone, who can do expand it, let us know what it says?

Quite so. Black on lime green, at an angle as well, does not make for easy reading, especially with the shadow of a chain fence across it. I have deciphered "towpaths are a great place for a bike ride but they are different".

"Whilst we would rather people didnt put up unauthorised signs , this does show that theres a problem with the speed that some people travel on bikes here . Towpaths are great places for a bike ride but they are dufferent from roads , so pls use common sense & take the time to enjoy what the grand union canal has to offer "

Edited by chubby

"Whilst we would rather people didnt put up unauthorised signs , this does show that theres a problem with the speed that some people travel on bikes here . Towpaths are great places for a bike ride but they are dufferent from roads , so pls use common sense & take the time to enjoy what the grand union canal has to offer "

Thanks I couldn't read it either. I wonder if the culprits will take any notice of either of them.

Thank you sir

People that speed along towpaths with no regard for anyone will not bother about signs. So just an un official and official waste of time. Barriers are the only way but you would need a lot.

What about sleeping policeman very high with very slim gap for bike wheel to pass through, that would slow them down. Pushchairs could easily be tilted to go over. Joggers will be ok as will walkers. Sustrans could install them as part of towpath upgrades.

Something needs doing because one day someone will die.

What about a well signed national max of 10mph for cyclists on every canal side path? Would that help?

All the navigation authorities would have to act in concert and then tell Sustrans etc. That might be an entertaining meeting to observe.

The Weaver path has quite a few prominent signs asking cyclists to be courteous. The vast majority seemed to be.

What about a well signed national max of 10mph for cyclists on every canal side path? Would that help?

All the navigation authorities would have to act in concert and then tell Sustrans etc. That might be an entertaining meeting to observe.

The Weaver path has quite a few prominent signs asking cyclists to be courteous. The vast majority seemed to be.

Towpaths are primarily for foot traffic.

10mph is far too fast in such an environment

Speaking as a cyclist. I've seen many cyclists approach a tow path bridge at speed and just ring their bell to warn anyone on-coming but don't slow down.

What happens when another cyclist does this at the same time from the other direction?

Actually, I've seen a few boaters do this too. Sound horn..I'm coming through ready or....BANG!!

People that speed along towpaths with no regard for anyone will not bother about signs. So just an un official and official waste of time. Barriers are the only way but you would need a lot.

What about sleeping policeman very high with very slim gap for bike wheel to pass through, that would slow them down. Pushchairs could easily be tilted to go over. Joggers will be ok as will walkers. Sustrans could install them as part of towpath upgrades.

Something needs doing because one day someone will die.

It is my understanding that Sustrans will not support any scheme that incorporates physical restrictions to cycles.

Who would then object.

"Sustrans" ie "Sustainable Transport"

Given the numbers of bikes being carried on roof racks, on gas guzzling 4 x 4s to use these cycle tracks created with £millions of public money, that name must be the joke of the century!

George ex nb Alton retired

Edited by furnessvale

It is my understanding that Sustrans will not support any scheme that incorporates physical restrictions to cycles.

Who would then object.

George ex nb Alton retired

:banghead:

Oh why of why do we have these people wrecking the towpaths :(

A not quite correct understanding, though:

Excessive speeds by some cyclists using traffic free routes can be
problematic to other path users. Education of users may have some
effect, but in many instances this will need to be complemented by
physical measures. Generally the control of cycling speed is to be
avoided, as it reduces the attractiveness of the mode as an alternative
to short journeys by car. [my bold]

Generally the control of cycling speed is to be
avoided, as it reduces the attractiveness of the mode as an alternative
to short journeys by car. [my bold]

Surely a towpath can hardly be counted as an alternative to short car journeys. In which case I would say speed controls were appropriate.

Surely a towpath can hardly be counted as an alternative to short car journeys. In which case I would say speed controls were appropriate.

Tell that to the cyclists who regularly complain that they are held up when commuting by dog walkers, casual cyclists, boaters and the gates that sustrans put up to prevent access for motorised transport.

One was expecting to achieve an average of 15mph every morning and complained that his average regularly dropped below 10

This thread made me have a look at some of their forums

Tell that to the cyclists who regularly complain that they are held up when commuting by dog walkers, casual cyclists, boaters and the gates that sustrans put up to prevent access for motorised transport.

One was expecting to achieve an average of 15mph every morning and complained that his average regularly dropped below 10

This thread made me have a look at some of their forums

I'm regularly held up on my commute by other drivers, pedestrians pressing the button on light controlled crossings, buses blocking the road while they are picking up passengers, "passenger action" on tubes, cyclists weaving in and out of pot holes, and arbitrary speed limits on the roads... if it wasn't for all those delays my commute might be 50% quicker but I have worked out that these things happen and allow time for them ... surely these cyclists should also know that there may be delays on their route and also make such allowances?