Narrowboatworld?

frahkn

Featured Posts

I was locking down at Atherstone yesterday and had just entered lock 5 when a gentleman who looked like Methuselah's grandfather ( before anyone calls me ageist, I'm a well worn 61 myself), arrived with his dog.

This guy opened the bottom paddle without reference to me or my wife and before the top gate was fully closed or I had finished dropping the offside top paddle. Anyway, no harm done - it's a 70' boat - and nothing was said.

But as I exited the lock I realised he was with a boat carrying a large side panel advertising narrowboatworld. Does anyone know if I unknowingly was in the fabulous presence of one of their editorial staff?

Obviously, I have the name of the boat but I don't think I should post it here.

Frank.

Personally I wouldn't give a damn who he was.
If he was opening "the bottom paddle without reference to me or my wife and before the top gate was fully closed or I had finished dropping the offside top paddle" I'd have had a short and probably abrupt conversation with him about who was in charge of the lock and the boat in it.

Personally I wouldn't give a damn who he was.

If he was opening "the bottom paddle without reference to me or my wife and before the top gate was fully closed or I had finished dropping the offside top paddle" I'd have had a short and probably abrupt conversation with him about who was in charge of the lock and the boat in it.

I know, I know but I have a thing about respecting my elders (few that there are, these days!) and as I posted, no harm was done.

Frank.

I know, I know but I have a thing about respecting my elders (few that there are, these days!) and as I posted, no harm was done.

Frank.

We are of an age and I have the same. Whilst no harm was done this time it could have been.

It doesn't matter who someone who helps out is, or how much experience they have. If they are helping you operate a lock they do it your way and when you are ready.

Or they are told to keep their damned hands off.

I'll consider any advice or suggestions from others on how I should proceed but I won't accept interference except in an emergency

Would I be being naughty if I suggested an email to Narrowboatworld and see if they publish it? Something along the lines of what bad form etc and after (if) it is published point out the boat had the advert on it.

That's it folks! I don't think it will will get posted for a couple of weeks as they've closed the site down to go boating.

Would I be being naughty if I suggested an email to Narrowboatworld and see if they publish it? Something along the lines of what bad form etc and after (if) it is published point out the boat had the advert on it.

And will now be well aware of this as Victom regularly reads this forum (not to mention his spy in the camp...).

Back on topic , no harm done was this time but.

I help at locks sometimes but strictly on the understanding that I do as requested when requested by the person in charge of the boat .

I wouldn't dream of just opening the paddles without asking

Edited by madcat

Hi I agree with one of the members that when you are locking you as the owner should do all the locking your way unless you ask for help P/S by the way this is nothing to do with this subject do any of you out there on the canal system no Tony at Shebdon Wharfe on the Shropshire canal he makes boat cover I need his telephone number if any one can help please John my no 01945410510 many thanks

Frank.

I was locking down at Atherstone yesterday and had just entered lock 5 when a gentleman who looked like Methuselah's grandfather ( before anyone calls me ageist, I'm a well worn 61 myself), arrived with his dog.

This guy opened the bottom paddle without reference to me or my wife and before the top gate was fully closed or I had finished dropping the offside top paddle. Anyway, no harm done - it's a 70' boat - and nothing was said.

But as I exited the lock I realised he was with a boat carrying a large side panel advertising narrowboatworld. Does anyone know if I unknowingly was in the fabulous presence of one of their editorial staff?

Frank.

I'd rather have a coconut to miss quote an advert.

Edited by Ray T

Not a hope in hell. I once wrote to Tom (Victor) suggesting his article on the poorly maintained lock gates in Leicester was not helped by his admission to only opening one gate despite rubbish behind it. He told me he wouldn't publish it giving the excuse I would be slaughtered in the responses. I did write back to say I was prepared to defend my beliefs but to no avail.

Edited by Midnight

Frank.

Was it a green boat? i ask as there was a green one sporting the narrowboatworld panel in sawley marina last month, was moored on the south bank amongst the livaboards for a couple of months then on a random mooring on b pier,

Personally i would have something to say to anyone of any age if they were to interfere whilst i was using a lock, on the other hand if someone asked if they could assist and followed my guidance that is a different thing.

Rick

Was it a green boat? i ask as there was a green one sporting the narrowboatworld panel in sawley marina last month, was moored on the south bank amongst the livaboards for a couple of months then on a random mooring on b pier,

Personally i would have something to say to anyone of any age if they were to interfere whilst i was using a lock, on the other hand if someone asked if they could assist and followed my guidance that is a different thing.

Rick

Yes, it was green and shortish. The panel was on the cabin side towards the front.

The dog was a Rhodesian Ridgeback - a young one - looked like a nice dog.

Frank.