New winter stoppages!

nipper

Featured Posts

A couple more stoppages have been announced.

First is on the Coventry Canal at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/5247/bridge-71-amington-road-bridge-tamworth from 22nd Feb to 6th March.

Second is of more interest to some as it will remove a good length of mooring in London : https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/5241/hertford-union-canal-east-london Note that this is in addition to the closure of the Regents https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/3325/regents-canal-mile-end which is also not on the maps or spreadsheet but was notified earlier.

Both these are between 2nd November and 21st December so no way to cross London by canal for that period!

Just wondering what the effect will be on mooring space and boat movement!

Fortunately I am nowhere near London :-) biggrin.png

Perhaps CRT would be kind enough to hand back some of the licence fees to boaters they have inconvenienced due to their geographical confusions? Seems fair to me.

Well obviously you are entitled to want that if you've personally inconvenienced. I think that's a bit OTT myself though in these circumstances. I've been only mildly inconvenienced and it seems if i had dug a little deeper than just downloading the map then i may have seen the info i needed.

All I'm after is them to acknowledge my suggestion that it wouldn't be too difficult to put stoppages that border other areas on both maps to avoid something like this happening again.

I still find it bonkers that anybody can put a stoppage in Wolverhampton on the Wales & North West map!

• Greenie 1

I had a brief look the other day because I'm planning to bring Halsall up to the BCLM in December (if you'd like to join me?) and i think I'm correct in saying the W21 is left alone this winter.

Edited to add this map i found showing this winters stoppages on the BCN and it confirms no planned work on the 21.

Screenshot_2015-10-16-07-36-17_zpsj1wu1f

Interesting that that map includes a number of bits of the BCN which haven't been navigable for years, including the Anson Branch (the bit south of the M6 which closed some time in the 80s and the bit to the north which closed long before), a bit of the Haynes Branch at the bottom of Ryders Green locks and rather more of the Wednesbury Old Canal / Ridgeacre Branch than is now accessible.

Fortunately I am nowhere near London :-) biggrin.png

You're all right, Jack!

Well obviously you are entitled to want that if you've personally inconvenienced. I think that's a bit OTT myself though in these circumstances. I've been only mildly inconvenienced

That's OK - I'll ask them to drop the compensation they're offering you into my bank account instead. Thanks :)

"Interesting that that map includes a number of bits of the BCN which haven't been navigable for years, including the Anson Branch (the bit south of the M6 which closed some time in the 80s and the bit to the north which closed long before), a bit of the Haynes Branch at the bottom of Ryders Green locks and rather more of the Wednesbury Old Canal / Ridgeacre Branch than is now accessible."

As George Orwell put it: "All Stoppages are equal, but some Stoppages are more equal than others!"

Ive got the maps but am a bit confused by the area choices.

Need to look more carefully but does anybody know if the 21 is off this year. I'm hoping there will be a way of getting up to the Birminham level available through the winter.

Lock 1 top lock on the 21 will be closed before Christmas 9 Nov to 11 Dec. You need the North Wales and West Stoppages pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Your kidding? Wales? T#####. I've bought tickets for the BCLM on Saturday the 12th December. Arse.

I see the 21 has been closed now for a broken beam so maybe they will do this other work at the same time and be completed earlier.

Edited by DHutch