New winter stoppages!

nipper

Featured Posts

Well, it looks like the winter stoppage list has been confirmed.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/winter

But, can anyone get the region map clicky to work?

The spreadsheet works, but the area maps just don't want to work at all, is it me?

Nipper

Mmm! I wonder why it doesn't work on my computer!

Anyone any idea's?

Working from a PDF is much easier for me than trying to go down that list on a spreadsheet!

Hope someone can help an old chap?

Nipper

The dropdown picker works for me.

It doesn't take you to a map, it puts an A4 or A3 PDF download link just under the button.

Same for me, select an area in the drop down, click Select Region and then get two links to download an A4 or A3 PDF.

Yes , I have it sorted now.

I used the Internet Explorer Browser instead of my Maxthon Browser!

All is right with the world and I can carry on marking out my wall chart to find a clear passage between November and April.

Thats my evenings sorted for the next few nights!

Thanks for your help!

Nipper

• 4 weeks later...

Yes , I have it sorted now.

I used the Internet Explorer Browser instead of my Maxthon Browser!

All is right with the world and I can carry on marking out my wall chart to find a clear passage between November and April.

Thats my evenings sorted for the next few nights!

Thanks for your help!

Nipper

JJJJJJJust a minute please, I've heard of March but whereabouts are November and April situated on the canal system. unsure.png

JJJJJJJust a minute please, I've heard of March but whereabouts are November and April situated on the canal system. unsure.png

Um! I really think you should get out more Bizzard. tongue.png

Nipper

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/winter

The above should work on the new internet explorer, whatever they called it, it dosn't work on my Maxthon Browser. I dont use anyother browser so i don't know about them!

Works for me this morning!

Nipper

Right. Being a numpty, I have now sorted how to get maps.

However, I need to look at Shropshire Union and the Trent & Mersey. Can't find the maps of stoppages. Does this mean there aren't any?

I apologise for being a first class numpty.

I am on Safari programme. Therefore I guess I can't view the total maps. Can only get the A3/4 PDF.

Ignore me. I done it.

At last I have become a non numpty,well for this instance I have.

Edited by Nightwatch

Be aware that the winter stoppage list is not complete. Additional stoppages may be added but the maps not updated.

Example: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/5157/lock-29-banbury-lock-oxford-canal is not on the South East map. This additional stoppage probably will have little impact to boaters as the stoppage dates are the same for Grants Lock nearby (less than 2 miles south).

Cheers

Ive got the maps but am a bit confused by the area choices.

Need to look more carefully but does anybody know if the 21 is off this year. I'm hoping there will be a way of getting up to the Birminham level available through the winter.

I had a brief look the other day because I'm planning to bring Halsall up to the BCLM in December (if you'd like to join me?) and i think I'm correct in saying the W21 is left alone this winter.

Edited to add this map i found showing this winters stoppages on the BCN and it confirms no planned work on the 21.

Screenshot_2015-10-16-07-36-17_zpsj1wu1f

Edited by junior

Wolverhampton Top Lock is closed from 9/11 to 11/12 for gate replacement works.

Everyone knows that Wolverhampton is in Wales(and NW).....

Your kidding? Wales? Tw####. I've bought tickets for the BCLM on Saturday the 12th December. Arse.

Edited by DHutch

Just published this on tbe CRT Boating FB page...

Hi CRT.

I have bought tickets for an event at the Black Country Living Museum (Birmingham) on Saturday 12th of December at a cost of over £70 for us and some friends who are visiting from abroad. Part of the experience for them and us was to travel there on the boat and use the Visitor Moorings at the museum. Before booking the tickets i checked the Winter Stoppages page for Birmingham to make sure there was no issues with us getting up the Wolverhampton 21. Nothing listed.

I just mentioned my plans to another boater and he informs me that the top lock is closed for maintenance. Must be his mistake i thought as there is nothing listed. Now imagine my surprise when i then find out that a stoppage in Wolverhampton is actually listed and published with the stoppages for WALES. Yes WALES!

Now as disappointed as i am, i realise that moaning on here won't achieve anything in changing the situation. My post is to make a suggestion and welcome your feedback to it...

If a stoppage is taking place in Wolverhampton (Birmingham, West Midlands) please in future could it be listed and published on the stoppages list for BIRMINGHAM. If for some unfathomable reason someone at CRT does think Wolverhampton is in Wales and insist it is published on that stoppage list then my suggestion would be that it should be published on both stoppages lists/maps in future so that those of us who are not so geographically challenged are not left with plans that have been ruined.

To be far the 21 is covered in the Wales and West map which is a much larger region than just Welsh canals. The Stoppage is also listed on the stoppages page when searching BCN network. Maybe it would of helped if they included the 21 on both maps as it seems to be the top of the flight where the boundary is.

It really does seem to be madness to split one part of the BCN off and put it in a different area. Does that mean that is managed by a different region in CRT as a whole for just for listing winter stoppages? The titling of the area as "North Wales and West" seems strange too given 90% of the canals covered are not in Wales.

It also reminds me of the proposed (I don't think it every actually happened) stoppage a couple of years ago between Braunston and Napton. That was listed only on the Oxford canal stoppages, and whilst that is historically correct, you would have though that is was essential to list it also on the Grand Union stoppages as it is so easy for someone planning travelling on the GU to miss that one too.

Actually the junction between West Midlands Region and Wales & Borders us Autherley Junction, the bottom of the 21 unless it has been moved since the last map they sent me.

As far as I can see on the poor map on CRT website this is still the case. Whatever, the 21 is still part of the BCN.

Actually the junction between West Midlands Region and Wales & Borders us Autherley Junction, the bottom of the 21 unless it has been moved since the last map they sent me.

As far as I can see on the poor map on CRT website this is still the case. Whatever, the 21 is still part of the BCN.

And on the winter stoppages spreadsheet the region is shown as West Midlands! (ID 3201)

Cheers