CRT Licence Renewal

Rob-M

Featured Posts

My renewal went through smoothly in December.

I didn't have easy access to a printer at the time, so I wrote to CRT, explaining this and they sent out printed licences by mail. I also asked whether I could get licence holders and they included those as well.

The printed licences from CRT were still black and white, though.

I hope that this self-printed licence is just a temporary thing and that eventually when everyone who needs to check a boat's licence has access to it online, there will be no need for a boat to display a paper licence at all.

I hope that this self-printed licence is just a temporary thing and that eventually when everyone who needs to check a boat's licence has access to it online, there will be no need for a boat to display a paper licence at all.

Everyone that needs to check a boat's licence already has access to it online, as do everyone that doesn't need to https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/licensing/boat-check

There is already no need to display a paper licence according to my local enforcement chappie, but there seems to be a bit of confusion about that as the answer differs depending on which CRT employee you ask.

Everyone that needs to check a boat's licence already has access to it online, as do everyone that doesn't need to https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/licensing/boat-check

There is already no need to display a paper licence according to my local enforcement chappie, but there seems to be a bit of confusion about that as the answer differs depending on which CRT employee you ask.

Unless they have changed the stance in the last few months, the pdf letter that you get with the licences to print starts with the following

Thank you for purchasing a long term boat licence. Two copies of this are printed below. Please fix one to each side of

your boat so that they can be clearly seen from the outside.

So I think your guy is not following the company line there.

Unless they have changed the stance in the last few months, the pdf letter that you get with the licences to print starts with the following

So I think your guy is not following the company line there.

Yes, the official policy is still that they should be displayed, but in practice there is no need and it is no longer enforced.

Yes, the official policy is still that they should be displayed, but in practice there is no need and it is no longer enforced.

I don't see what puts you in a position to state that.

My letter from CRT states that the licence should be displayed, and unless your letter states that you do not need to display the licence, then you display it. Perhaps at the next renewal my letter will say I don't need to display it, but until that point I don't have a choice. It is not hard to follow a simple directive.

The fact that several CRT employees have told me that.

I'm sure this has been mentioned on here before. IIRC, the terms and conditions still say the licence has to be displayed, but the boat checkers don't use it, just tap the boat number into their doofers. The tunnel bods at the Harecastle still come and look at it and make a note, though they probably don't do anything with it either - I got grumbled at when I forgot to display mine last year. I suppose if you don't display it, it gives them another legit way of prosecuting (probably wrong word, but you know what I mean) you if you bend/break any of the other rules/directives (and get caught).

The fact that several CRT employees have told me that.

The problem is that they are wrong in my case, as the letter that their employer has sent me with my licence states that the licence should be be displayed. Of course if your letter states that you do not need to display your licence then you are in a different situation to me. So you can not make a general statement that licences need do not need to be displayed.

The problem is that they are wrong in my case, as the letter that their employer has sent me with my licence states that the licence should be be displayed. Of course if your letter states that you do not need to display your licence then you are in a different situation to me. So you can not make a general statement that licences need do not need to be displayed.

I believe that it is law that you you must display the licence so CRT officially stating that you don't would require a change of law. However CRT have no need for you to display it since it is the 21st century and there are better ways of doing things than pieces of easily fake able paper so they just don't enforce it.

The problem though is that at one stage people formally asked those in CRT who should know, and were told displaying the licence was no longer required.

They were sufficiently confident of the answr, that they displayed it on various Facebook groups.

I believed it, because I had sat in various meetings where people such as the head of enforcement had actually said they did not need paper licences, and hoped to get rid of them.

Then somebody decided that the statement someone had been made, and which was widely repeated was not true after all.

I believe that it is law that you you must display the licence so CRT officially stating that you don't would require a change of law. However CRT have no need for you to display it since it is the 21st century and there are better ways of doing things than pieces of easily fake able paper so they just don't enforce it.

It is also the law that not just you vessel index number but also its name should be diplayed on the boat.

However CRT have made it very clear they have no interest in a boats name, only its index number, so have no intention of making people comply with the requirement to display a name.

If you look at everything in the bye-laws I reckon we all breach them at some time or another!

The problem though is that at one stage people formally asked those in CRT who should know, and were told displaying the licence was no longer required.

They were sufficiently confident of the answr, that they displayed it on various Facebook groups.

I believed it, because I had sat in various meetings where people such as the head of enforcement had actually said they did not need paper licences, and hoped to get rid of them.

Isn't that the issue though, they may "hope" to get rid of the requirement to display the license (which makes a lot of sense) but they actually have not yet, and some are interpreting it that they have for some reason that only they understand. Until they actually say that in the letter with the licence or send you a letter (email obviously) to change that mid licence, then to me you go by what it said in the letter when you got the licence, as that is the only formal communication on the subject that you have. Facebook does not count as a formal communication in my mind.

Does the letter state that you have to display the licence?

Mail starts off

'Thank you for purchasing a long term boat license. Two copies of this are printed below. Please fix one on each side of your boat so it can be clearly seen from the outside'

So although it is not in legalease, it is generally covered in 7.1 of the T&C

7.1 you must display the boats name, index number and the license on both sides of your boat so that they are always easily visible by our employees on the towpath or waterway.

Im not a legal beagle but you accept the terms and conditions when you pay for your license and that includes the inference.

let the tow path lawyers begin !!

What a load of fuss about a piece of paper. Stick it in the window. If you need to it's done. If not required no harm done. Get on with life.

True, but for the fully paid up members of The Awkward Squad, refusing to display their license is an excellent way of proving to the world how utterly RADICAL they all are.

True, but for the fully paid up members of The Awkward Squad, refusing to display their license is an excellent way of proving to the world how utterly RADICAL they all are.

Not only does not displaying my licence make me utterly radical, it also provides great entertainment watching nosey old codgers excitement as they think they've spotted an un-licensed vessel. If only I could stick around to watch their disappointment when they call CRT to report me and they get told the boat is in fact licensed.