Winsford moorings. R.Weaver

Peter-Bullfinch

Featured Posts

DSC_0063_zpsepj5w8zp.jpg

The recently refurbished moorings done by the council at Winsford are a great improvement. Dredging seems to have been completed too. It was easier to manoeuvre in and out. A plus for some might be is that here you are just off C&Rt water by a few hundred yards.

Nice views over Winsford flash and the nearby Red Lion serves good meals, decent beer and some excellent music nights. Only two full sized narrowboat moorings outside the pub but the nearby refurbished ones probably could easily take probably 16.

Any idea what depth is like? I'm planning on taking Halsall up there this coming weekend for the regatta.

We went just a bit beyond the new moorings to wind and just touched the bottom. We are about 32 inches deep at the back.

Plenty of water at turn into the new moorings but did not go in. Just take it slow in case!

I second all the good things said about the Red Lion. Open mic night is great Only issue is Beer quality can be a bit variable but when its good its fine!

Just left Chester, Will be in Middlewich probably Tuesday then South on the T&M. Where are you?, Could do with a bit of diesel!

.............Dave

We went just a bit beyond the new moorings to wind and just touched the bottom. We are about 32 inches deep at the back.

Plenty of water at turn into the new moorings but did not go in. Just take it slow in case!

I second all the good things said about the Red Lion. Open mic night is great Only issue is Beer quality can be a bit variable but when its good its fine!

Just left Chester, Will be in Middlewich probably Tuesday then South on the T&M. Where are you?, Could do with a bit of diesel!

.............Dave

I'm in Dortmund at the moment. Wednesday I'll be moving across the Middlewich Branch and then south on the T&M to moor in Wheelock on Wednesday evening. Is that any help to you?

As said above, Red Lion is a good pub, best not to go beyond that.

............Dave

It's a very, very good pub. And the town is the opposite. We saw the excellent moorings when we were there last year but the Flash has such a reputation for being shallow we didn't chance it in our 3ft draught boat.

It's a very, very good pub. And the town is the opposite. We saw the excellent moorings when we were there last year but the Flash has such a reputation for being shallow we didn't chance it in our 3ft draught boat.

As long as you keep well to the right when going up, you should have no problem. We went up to the top end a few years ago, and in most of it my 12 ft boat pole couldn't touch the bottom.

I'm in Dortmund at the moment. Wednesday I'll be moving across the Middlewich Branch and then south on the T&M to moor in Wheelock on Wednesday evening. Is that any help to you?

Sounds good. What's your phone number?

Might get to Middlewich late today but weather not so good so will probably stop somewhere on the arm.

As long as you keep well to the right when going up, you should have no problem. We went up to the top end a few years ago, and in most of it my 12 ft boat pole couldn't touch the bottom.

Have heard a few people say this, but some locals say there has been a lot of silting in the last few years. We started gong upwards about n the centre and the water was deep, we turned putting the front over to the left and that's when it got shallow.

............Dave

Any idea what depth is like? I'm planning on taking Halsall up there this coming weekend for the regatta.

I sounded them at 3 ft by the moorings at the slipway end earlier this year when I was there, so if they have been dredged they should be even better now.

Not that good on the left going up. I turned round at 3 ft.

The advice re the Flash that we had, was to go very slowly.

When you run aground (and we did) you can reverse off without too much difficulty.

Last time we were up there we met a hire boat who had been stuck in the middle of the flash and only got free my pumping every drop of water from the water tank. They were 1 hour at the tap filling up afterwards!

I am trying to work out where these Winsford Town mooring are. How much further do you need to go from the Winsford Bridge(A54)?

Look on Google, either the map or the satellite picture.

Past the pub, under the two road bridges, the river then does a little a dog leg, then before you get properly into the flash you turn to the left, almost 180 degrees, and there is a little inlet, almost heading back towards the pub,. The new moorings are there.

.............Dave

Look on Google, either the map or the satellite picture.

Past the pub, under the two road bridges, the river then does a little a dog leg, then before you get properly into the flash you turn to the left, almost 180 degrees, and there is a little inlet, almost heading back towards the pub,. The new moorings are there.

.............Dave

Thanks that gives me a starting point. I guess the satellite won't show the new moorings but it should help, I wasn't sure looking at Google earth where it may be.

Edit to add: I found it I think. thanks for the direction.

Edited by churchward