Own up, who has their fire lit?

Rufford

Featured Posts

silver birch bark also if we're going proper outdoorsy, and those hard black fungus balls that grow on dead trees, think they might be called horse shoe mushrooms?

Yeah cramp balls/king Alfreds cakes, mainly found on Ash

daldinea concentrica

Edited by tree monkey

Where is the rain that was promised for the Midlands? I cancelled laying a patio for today and it's been lovely! Sunny and not bad temperature in the sun.

I haven't got any heating on and have just had my fan on as warm eating a curry, oven on and curry!

I light my fire generally with a firelighter and kindling on top, then a layer of wildfire or excel. I leave the ashpan door open to get the fire going and then close it once lit.

If I'm burning wood only I close the primary air once going well and control the burn with the secondary air inlet.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

Where is the rain that was promised for the Midlands? I cancelled laying a patio for today and it's been lovely! Sunny and not bad temperature in the sun.

I haven't got any heating on and have just had my fan on as warm eating a curry, oven on and curry!

I light my fire generally with a firelighter and kindling on top, then a layer of wildfire or excel. I leave the ashpan door open to get the fire going and then close it once lit.

If I'm burning wood only I close the primary air and control the burn with the secondary air inlet.

James:cheers:

we only had a small shower here in Bristol as well, after being promised rain of biblical proportions, fire is on though as getting a tad chilly, 20 indoors is my comfort zone below twenty and I light the fire,

I once visited an historic schoolhouse somewhere in the middle of England where it said that the large, solid fuel stove was removed in the spring and reinstalled on 1st October. I guess that those young 18thC pupils were accustomed to the cold and their schoolmaster strode up-and-down to keep warm.

Yesterday, after several treks along the towpath fetching diesel, gas and shopping I discovered that my coat was not waterproof. Wet and chilled I needed some comfort and the means to dry my damp clothes in the airing-cupboard so, 'mea-culpa', I fired up the gas-fired c/h. Cabin temperature soon rose from 19C to 23C and next morning my clothes were dry.

This evening, with no heating, cabin temperature is a comfortable 22C. After I have cooked a meal it will be even hotter.

Greetings from balmy but wet Wilts.,

Alan

I just lit the fire. Its not been lit for nearly a year, 2 clicks on the pizzo and it lit no problem, Sod all that wood, logs, coal, fire lighters, banking, stoking, riddling and ash clearing. Gas is the future now. Sorry to upset the purists, but why go through all that bother?

https://instagram.com/p/70wchXgU-R/?taken-by=kevinwade181

Edited by Biggles

I've some excellent solid dry wood at the moment - went out looking for brambles near Stone and came back with fallen tree branches.

It stays in all night no problem - rather too much so the other night when I got back to the boat on a dreich night and lit the stove only to have to forcibly put it out before going through Standedge next afternoon.