Doing the Sums

El Perro Negro

Featured Posts

There are plenty of GRP narrowbeam boats that will cruise the whole system. But if I were you I would seriously look at the areas in which I intended to cruise and see if it was necessary to have a narrowbeam boat.

If you intend to cruise in an area that has widebeam waterways then you will have far more choice of GRP boat and far more living space for a similar amount of money as the narrowbeam boats.

We cruise on the northern widebeam waterways and in seven years have hardly scratched the surface of the waterways on offer to us within reach of our home mooring, which isn't through lack of trying.

I think I'm a bit of a traditionalist in my choice of construction, my head is saying that a canal boat is a steel go practically anywhere type of boat and a GRP is a river/coastal/Norfolk broads/leisure type of boat. However I am open to various ideas and will do some research on-line and see what's what. My idea would be to try and explore as much of the system as possible and having to restrict were I can go because of width or length doesn't sit well, but hey at this stage I'm not discounting anything....Thanks people

I think I'm a bit of a traditionalist in my choice of construction, my head is saying that a canal boat is a steel go practically anywhere type of boat and a GRP is a river/coastal/Norfolk broads/leisure type of boat. However I am open to various ideas and will do some research on-line and see what's what. My idea would be to try and explore as much of the system as possible and having to restrict were I can go because of width or length doesn't sit well, but hey at this stage I'm not discounting anything....Thanks people

I'm sure a lot of people have that dream of exploring the whole of the UK inland waterways system.

The reality is that very few actually manage to do this.

I'm sure a lot of people have that dream of exploring the whole of the UK inland waterways system.

The reality is that very few actually manage to do this.

Sure, but it's not as if you have to cruise the whole system to appreciate the options opened up by a narrow beam boat. We never ventured south of Wolverhampton in our little narrowboat, but I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on the canals of the Four Counties Ring, the Macclesfield and the Peak Forest. And I'm sure the Llangollen and Huddersfield Narrow would be on that list too if we'd got round to them.

Sure, but it's not as if you have to cruise the whole system to appreciate the options opened up by a narrow beam boat. We never ventured south of Wolverhampton in our little narrowboat, but I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on the canals of the Four Counties Ring, the Macclesfield and the Peak Forest. And I'm sure the Llangollen and Huddersfield Narrow would be on that list too if we'd got round to them.

And the limitations of a narrowboat when you are on wider waters so have no need to restrict your living space.

Each to their own of course.

£440 a month is about £100 a month more than a single person would get in Jobseekers Allowance so in those terms I suppose a person could survive on it if they were happy to live frugally. If you aren't paying for a mooring then I'd say £3,300 a year would be more than enough to cover the cost of running the boat.

Personally, I reckon I could do it on your figures.

I think the OP could do it on that budget also, I get by on £25 a week, £3.50 a day on food.

Good luck OP

• 2 months later...