CRT council nominations

Dave_P

Featured Posts

yes i agree the elected person shouldn't be associated with and other associations ie NABO,IWA etc etc as this would cause a conflict of interests.

i also think they should be a liveaboard to represent a host of boaters alike.

Why not? If they were a member of an organization representing boaters, they would have a body of people to whom they could refer important matters before meetings, so that they could give a more balanced view, rather than giving what would effectively be a personal opinion, possibly supported by a few friends.

if one of the reps were a liveaboard they could give an unbiased account of the waterways, obviously they would have to be a CC'r and widely travelled so they could give an account of the system and how it works or dont work.

No they wouldn't. Being a liveaboard, their views presumably be influenced by that lifestyle. I have no problem with that but you really need to get your thinking organized, either you do want the candidates to be representative of a group or you do not.

Edited by David Schweizer

Why not? If they were a member of an organization representing boaters, they would have a body of people to whom they could refer important matters before meetings, so that they could give a more balanced view, rather than giving what would effectively be a personal opinion, possibly supported by a few friends.

No because they should be consulting all boaters not difficult in this day and age to set up a website or to even do a simple survey

I have said before this job is not about the meetings that take place twice a year and mainly consist of CART Power Point presentations. The job is about using the influence to bring up the concerns of ALL Boaters with those within CART that can change things.

Edited by cotswoldsman

No because they should be consulting all boaters not difficult in this day and age to set up a website or to even do a simple survey

I have said before this job is not about the meetings that take place twice a year and mainly consist of CART Power Point presentations. The job is about using the influence to bring up the concerns of ALL Boaters with those within CART that can change things.

I note you have avoided any response to my second paragraph, presumably as it sits uncomfortably with your first comment.

As a part time livaboard with a home mooring I don't care what they do as long as they are boaters. Why did you expect me to comment on that part?

The two observations were linked (as you well know) To comment on one part, to the exclusion of the other, is

manipulative and disingenuous.

The two observations were linked (as you well know) To comment on one part, to the exclusion of the other, is

manipulative and disingenuous.

don't see it that way. I would simply like to see 4 boaters free of any ties to associations, their status as boaters does not concern me. They are elected to represent boaters and should not be endorsed, supported or hold senior positions from any association. I have no problem with them being members of any association but it should simply be that

• Greenie 3

So we need to find someone who knows the cut from different angles with experience of different motivations for boat ownership. Obviously. I imagine it is pretty difficult for an previously unknown person (in the sense of associations and "networks") to get involved with this and as has been mentioned already maybe its a waste of time anyway :unsure:

Edit to add a bracket

Edited by magnetman

So we need to find someone who knows the cut from different angles with experience of different motivations for boat ownership. Obviously. I imagine it is pretty difficult for an previously unknown person (in the sense of associations and "networks") to get involved with this and as has been mentioned already maybe its a waste of time anyway unsure.png

Edit to add a bracket

I dont see it that way there are 4 places up for grabs. I think after the election where we ended up with 3 IWA Trustees someone with no ties and a good understanding of the canals and CART would stand a good chance.

don't see it that way. I would simply like to see 4 boaters free of any ties to associations, their status as boaters does not concern me. They are elected to represent boaters and should not be endorsed, supported or hold senior positions from any association. I have no problem with them being members of any association but it should simply be that

The suggestion that I challenged was that " ..the elected person shouldn't be associated with and other associations ie NABO,IWA etc etc...", There was no reference to "ties to associations", or persons "..endorsed, supported or hold senior positions from any association" Countering invented statements allegedly made by others is a recognised, but spurious, and ultimatey unsuccessful way to try and win a debate,.

• Greenie 1

The suggestion that I challenged was that " ..the elected person shouldn't be associated with and other associations ie NABO,IWA etc etc...", There was no reference to "ties to associations", or persons "..endorsed, supported or hold senior positions from any association" Countering invented statements allegedly made by others is a recognised, but spurious, and ultimatey unsuccessful way to try and win a debate,.

David you have lost me now I was simply giving an opinion

I had a look at the web page I was directed to if I wish to nominate myself for this - it has a picture which does seem to be somewhat dominated by um err well shall I say people of a slightly more senior appearance than I would have expected.

Is there nobody under 50 interested in this?

I had a look at the web page I was directed to if I wish to nominate myself for this - it has a picture which does seem to be somewhat dominated by um err well shall I say people of a slightly more senior appearance than I would have expected.

Is there nobody under 50 interested in this?

And I guess there is the problem most of the 50's and under unlike me have a life

• Greenie 1

No they wouldn't. Being a liveaboard, their views presumably be influenced by that lifestyle. I have no problem with that but you really need to get your thinking organized, either you do want the candidates to be representative of a group or you do not.

your first point, yes i agree they would have a body of people they could refer back to before meetings but there are other ways to get information without being part of an association, theres a big wide world out there full of people who have opinions,information and answers.

your second point liveaboards spend more time on the water in different locations than the average boater with a leisure mooring and would find it hard to travel to places that someone who CC's could cover, i didn't say i didnt want them to represent a minority of boaters which is what you are implying, whoever get's on the council should represent the whole of the boating community,

I voted for Alan Fincher last time and would do so again should he stand. I have a feeling he was disillusioned by the process last time, and won't be purtting himself forward again, which is a shame.

It'll be interesting to compare the number of votes cast this time, I get the impression that a lot of boaters that took the time and trouble last time are equally diillusioned and won't bother this time.