CRT council nominations

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Email just received;

Nominations have opened for election of members to the Canal & River Trusts Council.

Electoral Reform Services is administering the Council elections 2015/2016 on behalf of the Trust.

We are therefore contacting you because you may now nominate yourself to stand for election or support someone elses nomination.

To do this please click here. This unique link will take you to the election website where you will be able to view all the information you need to nominate yourself or support someone else.

So who's in??

Who the hell would want to be elected to what imho is proven as a toothless tiger and a waste of time, I don't see any sweeping advances or otherwise from who was there before.

Laurance I agree and disagree. Yes the council meetings are IMO a waste of time and being a sad person I have read all of them. I do however feel the right person could ise the position to gain access to the right people within CART and the Trustees to represent boaters hopefully in a positive way. It is important someone indipendant of associations represents boaters and works with CART both in a helpful way and to hold CART to account where required

Edited by cotswoldsman
  • Greenie 3

Laurance I agree and disagree. Yes the council meetings are IMO a waste of time and being a sad person I have read all of them. I do however feel the right person could ise the position to gain access to the right people within CART and the Trustees to represent boaters hopefully in a positive way. It is important someone indipendant of associations represents boaters and works with CART both in a helpful way and to hold CART to account where required

yes i agree the elected person shouldn't be associated with and other associations ie NABO,IWA etc etc as this would cause a conflict of interests.

i also think they should be a liveaboard to represent a host of boaters alike.

yes i agree the elected person shouldn't be associated with and other associations ie NABO,IWA etc etc as this would cause a conflict of interests.

i also think they should be a liveaboard to represent a host of boaters alike.

Whilst obviously it should be a boater, why a live aboard?

Surely it's the person, their boating experience and their commitment that counts.

Where they happen to live is irrelevant.

I think what GG was saying is it would be nice if one of the four was a livaboard

I agree , It's a real shame that CRT haven't recognised the need for the boaters reps to come from the different areas of the boating community and for example ring fenced a role for a continous cruiser, say one for a residential boater and 2 for marina leisure moorers. It's probably just a hiding to nothing though given that the 13 partnerships automatically get a rep each.

I would like a genuine spread across the four. Young / old, experienced / newcomer, male / female, liveaboard / leisure boater, independent / part of an association, urban / rural etc...

I worry that all four will be connected to IWA, RBOA etc and will be white males aged 50-70 with varying amounts of facial hair. Not that I have anything against those folk (I aspire to be one in due course) but we don't want 4 peas in a pod.

I would like a genuine spread across the four. Young / old, experienced / newcomer, male / female, liveaboard / leisure boater, independent / part of an association, urban / rural etc...

I worry that all four will be connected to IWA, RBOA etc and will be white males aged 50-70 with varying amounts of facial hair. Not that I have anything against those folk (I aspire to be one in due course) but we don't want 4 peas in a pod.

Or even 4 p!55!ng into a pot

Whilst obviously it should be a boater, why a live aboard?

Surely it's the person, their boating experience and their commitment that counts.

Where they happen to live is irrelevant.

if one of the reps were a liveaboard they could give an unbiased account of the waterways, obviously they would have to be a CC'r and widely travelled so they could give an account of the system and how it works or dont work.

I think what GG was saying is it would be nice if one of the four was a livaboard

if one of the reps were a liveaboard they could give an unbiased account of the waterways, obviously they would have to be a CC'r and widely travelled so they could give an account of the system and how it works or dont work.

As I said.

Your use of the word 'they' should be a live aboard rather than 'there' should be a live aboard were read differently.

While I reckon I would likely give more consideration to a liveaboard/cc'er than I might to a buttload of other randoms who I did not know from Adam and who were not, I strongly believe that Alan Fincher would be a top choice for representing the interests of everyone equally, and would be notably inclusive of liveaboards despite not being one himself.

I can't think of any other non-liveaboard that I would say that about.

How about you John whilst I dont always agree with what you say you are probably the right man for the job. I am not taking the mickey here by the way

Peter