Tim Leech

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

From Facebook:

Dave Holford to River Weaver Navigation

Tim Leech.

Those who knew him will be sad to hear that Tim died of cancer earlier this week. Apart from being an all round good bloke, he was a sort of safety n...et for a lot of boatowners, myself included, who when faced with a problem with the boat, engine gearbox, or whatever, we knew that we could call Tim and he would be able to sort it out. He was also a mine of information about boat histories and canals in general. He will be greatly missed by very many people, as much for his wry sense of humour as for his kindness and willingness to help out.

Tim​

Oh good grief - that's a bit of a shock.

In my view one of the soundest people I have ever come across in terms of a solid knowledge of just about everything to do with inland craft, engines and their maintenance. If Tim said something on here, we could be certain it was right.

And on the only occasion I met him, a thoroughly nice guy as well.

How very sad.

Never met or knew the guy but his willingness to help others on here was clearly appreciated.

I feel a bit bad now because I remember I have met Tim a couple of years back when he bought my Dahon folding bike, we met half way (at Scotch Corner) so he could pay and collect it. He was an affable guy for sure.

(For some inexplicable reason I didn't immediately twig this)

Edited by MJG

Met Tim way back in Peter Frouds hotel boat days a top guy then & from his postings on here still the same.Condolances to his family, & Tim enjoy your boating on the other side of the bridge. RIP my friend, you will be sadly missed

Very sad to hear this.

I never really knew Tim as such, in the sense of having a long talk to him, but I have passed the time of day with him several times whilst passing through Dutton.

He was a mine of useful information, and I know that his practical abilities helped so many people. He will certainly be missed.

He had that rare quality of knowing a great deal and having firm opinions, but managing not to irritate people.

My first thought on hearing the news was to think "I didn't know he was ill". Looking back through his posts, there was a mention of a hospital stay a couple of months ago, a vague mention that he wasn't well, then a passing comment in July that ill health had prompted an early retirement, and a mention of going boating before he stopped posting a month ago.

It looks like Tim just got on with living, without reflecting too much on dying, which isn't a bad thing to do.

What terribly sad news. Tim was a lovely bloke and very knowledgeable as well as a talented engineer and so helpful to us with the engine of Harry. I'll never forget the splendid chaos of his machinery filled garden!

Oh what a shock. I didn't even know he was ill. He's given me excellent help and advice over the years for which I'm most grateful.

He was well known, respected and seen as a fount of all knowledge in the world of stationary engines too, IIRC.

My condolences to his family.

MtB

I'm mighty glad I went to see Tim a few weeks back. I have had many PM and email conversations with him but had never met. He was just out of hospital then and frustrated by his illness. Otherwise, he was making plans and full of thoughts.

Rest in Peace, Tim

I would like to know news of his funeral if anyone finds out - I want to be there

Richard

Indeed a shock. I do remember him mentioning on here a few weeks ago that he'd not been well. One of his famous sayings was ''Ive got one of those lying about somewhere, I'll have a hunt around for it later'' ' And his tug Kennet which he often referred to as ''my little tug''.

Indeed a very sad loss.

My condolences too to has family.

Very sorry to hear this. Tim was a mine of knowledge and always happy to share it. He will be sadly missed by the boating world, historic boat owners particularly.

Going through Dutton will never be the same again.

Yes, very sad news indeed. Our sincere condolences to Liz & family.

Tim has done a lot of work on Alton over the years both in our custodianship & Georges, including re-bottoming, re-footing, & riveted repairs. At dockings I would stay on the boat & work as his labourer / trainee, on my second day whilst waiting for the blacking to dry, I asked if I could do anything to help & he said if I was feeling energetic I could dig & scrape some of the mud & silt out of the bottom of the dock. When Tim & Roy came back in the morning they couldn't believe they're eyes to see a totally clear brick floor :-) . My reward was some of Tim & Liz's fine, freshly brewed proper coffee.

Tim was a real engineer, equally as good with hands as with his head. When we needed to do some riveted repairs, he had the time & patience to show me how to make the rivets & together we completed the repairs. He was always willing to give others the benefit of his knowledge or advice, either in person, over the phone or via email or the net & he obviously loved CWDF & got pleasure from helping others.

Tim didn't seem himself when I saw him early in the spring & said he was feeling run down & must have had some sort of bug. Then a few months ago when I called in at Dutton he was sat in the garden, I sat down & we chatted in the sunshine, he told me the news of his recent diagnosis. It was one of those very rare conversations (for me at least, that I felt I could drop all barriers & speak from the heart), I'm crying again now just thinking about it. He asked me to keep the details & severity of his illness private.

I believe that Tim's funeral will be a private / family affair, but I think it is planned to have a celebration of his life prior to, or during the Acton Bridge Steam & Boat Gathering on the Weaver 2nd - 4th October, an event Tim loved & has attended for very many years. I'll post more details when I know them.

RIP Tim, you'll live on in the many boats you've helped keep afloat.

Cheers, Brian

• Greenie 4

I believe that Tim's funeral will be a private / family affair, but I think it is planned to have a celebration of his life prior to, or during the Acton Bridge Steam & Boat Gathering on the Weaver 2nd - 4th October, an event Tim loved & has attended for very many years. I'll post more details when I know them.

Cheers, Brian

Thank Brian

Richard