Waterway SOS - a canal 'protest song'

Bugsworth Tippler

Featured Posts

Some time ago frustration with the state of the waterways caused me to write a 'canal protest song' called 'The Bridge and the Swan' which, when mentioned on this forum, came in for some criticism.

Two years later I've been at it again and have produced 'Waterway SOS' which can be found on the 'Songs of the Inland Waterways' website.

It's hard to write a protest song which does not oversimplify and is therefore liable to possible misinterpretation so I'd like to make it clear that this is not intended to offend volunteers whose work has been essential in the past in saving our waterways and is continuing to be so. What I object to is the cynical use of non-paid workers to increasingly carry out tasks previously done by paid employees. I'll leave it at that. I look forward to reaction to the song with a little trepidation.

The recording is just a 'first effort' and will be replaced with a better quality one where I sing the right words when I manage to record one.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, head above the barricade again, I'm surprised I didn't get more criticism. I was fairly happy with the song but uneasy, partly because the song wasn't really making the point about the need for an experienced professional workforce sufficiently well and with a line that oscillated between 'not more volunteers' and 'not just volunteers' could have been taken as 'anti-volunteering'. This line has become 'don't exploit volunteers' and I am much happier with it and include what I hope will be the final lyrics in this post :

Just twelve more locks 'til we reach the top level
Just twelve more locks, then we'll stop for the night
Though lock walls are leaking, paddle gear's creaking
Through hell and low water, we'll get up this flight

We've struggled through duckweed, deep silt and tall reed
Removed poly bags and rope wrapped round the prop
We've scraped and been scratched as we pushed through the bridge holes
Despite all obstructions we'll get to the top

Is this a song of canals in the sixties?
Unfortunately not, it's a tale of today
While towpaths are tarmacked so cyclists can fly past
Boaters are struggling with stoppage delays

Am I bitter and twisted with glasses rose-tinted?
'Cos I can't help but think how things were in the past
Dereliction, restoration, a waterway salvation
Now in decline, with repair list that's vast

Where is the workforce that maintained the system?
Now we only see those who work for no pay
More public relations and pleas for donations
The responses to crises occurring most days

With a crumbling system near unfit for purpose
Boaters and boats may soon disappear
Heritage in distress, waterway SOS
A plea for paid workers, don't exploit volunteers

Just twelve more locks 'til we reach the top level
Just twelve more locks to paint on this flight
Lock walls are still leaking, paddle gear creaking
But balance beams shine - pristine, black and white

That last stanza reflects my opinion as, a few weeks ago, I struggled to turn painfully stiff paddle gears mounted on an immaculately painted lock gate.

The lock painting was not quite immaculate: the "Cill" warning line had been repainted a foot nearer to the top gate on one side than on the other, unless of course the cill really was that shape this seems dangerous.