Boatman Stove review

MtB

Featured Posts

Loved our boatman.

Met Eddie motorway services.

fitted next day, Iwe could get ours to burn overnight.

Getting it to burn overnight is ok, but much more is impossible. What I miss is the way the old Squirrel would burn for 24hrs at least with no attention, or even 48.

The real bug bear, manually riddling,

although you don't realise how fine ash is.

Yes, this is the reason I'm scrapping mine. Utterly pished off with the inside of the boat being covered in a fine layer of ash.

Yes, this is the reason I'm scrapping mine. Utterly pished off with the inside of the boat being covered in a fine layer of ash.

If the stove is being run at tickover you could try bricking out the firebox, at least at the bottom, to make it smaller, as others have done, which may increase the running temperature of the flu.

Another thing to try, maybe to cover the top third or bottom third of the opening when you open the door to riddle the stove.

Last but not least, give Eddie a call and see if he has some suggestions.

Are you happy to spend a little time and money and trouble to try find a solution, or at this stage have you already decided to get something else?

cheers Pete.

smpt

• Greenie 1

• 9 months later...

Theres nowt wrong with it they are the only stove I will ever buy, bought another for this boat last year as it needed a stove fitting. You here horror stories of cracking with them but I have never come across it and how old are the ones that have cracked that have been correctly installed? As Mike says for 300 squid and I agree the Boatmans is a brilliant bit of kit but it doesnt compare to stoves over twice its price and we shouldnt expect it to.

Tim

You really aren't paying attention are you?!

After 25 years of use they tend to spontaneously crack and fall to bits. Some here find this unforgivable and intolerable. I'm happy to overlook this and just buy two in a lifetime.

Assuming that's a realistic appraisal, it wouldn't be the failure rate that bothered me but the failure mode. I take it they're slow growing cracks leading to an eventual falling to bits? Otherwise the prospect of coming home to a real fire is somewhat unattractive!

• 2 years later...

I've just serviced my boatman and Eddie was very helpful getting the right bits out to me in double quick time. My stove came with the boat and I think has been going ten years plus. Having serviced it today it looks good as new and ready to go another ten. Stays in fine overnight and I'd happily buy another but doesn't look like I'll need too :D

• Greenie 1