Stoke Bruerne Village At War - Sat 12th and Sun 13th September

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Even funnier Alan was when I tried to wind Sculptor below Lock 17 and not below Lock 18 about 3 years ago - and someone drew another lock full of water.....

Fortunately - never seen any of the photos (yet) that were taken that day - though plenty of people where watching and clicking!

Here are a couple taken when everything was plain 'sailing' yesterday afternoon.

DSC_4492_zpsehbpqtyt.jpgDSC_4486_zpsuzqlq4ii.jpg

Excellent.

Nice to see "Flamingo" getting some coverage - it hasv a bit of catching up to do with the many taken of "Sickle" over the last 4 years!

Images from 2015 Village at War for anyone interested.

Warning - there are over 600 of them - https://flic.kr/s/aHskgHVTCL

It is not exclusively a boating event although the boats that do come (specifically the historic ones) do add a huge amount to the atmosphere.

For those with an aviation disposition we had a Spitfire (BBMF) at low level on both days, the C47 (DC3) again BBMF and low level, the Red Arrows (no display but just transiting via Stoke Bruerne on Sunday morning), and on Saturday the Vulcan (XH558) on its way back to base (not low level but very visible).

2016 dates are 10/11-September.

Brilliant photos and an excellent weekend, Thanks

Andrew

We should have made him help take Reg up to Brinklow.

That would have got them overalls looking 'used'!

Actually the bits of the overalls that were knees and below were remarkably grubby, but it seems that the top bits stayed relatively clean, and perhaps a bit too smart to look authentic.

I have an excellent photo of Coasty covered in mud from the longshaft in a way that would make the top of those overalls FAR more authentic. Trouble is I'd get slaughtered if I posted it!

Mind you she looks very pleased with herself, despite protestations to the contrary ;)

Part of the problem is that the dungarees have to be stored for long periods - seriously, do you think we wear them at other times? I seal them up in a vacuum bag to make them smaller, and before I do so I make sure that they are clean. I think that if left to fester for months at a time then they would be quite unpleasant. I know that we ought to roll around in oil and mud for a day or so before hand, but they always pick up mud, oil, grease, brasso, boot polish and curry anyway. Getting them clean takes half my stock of Vanish everytime anyway.

Passed you today and met Victoria plus a few others.

Ah, you passed our boat but not us! We have lent her to a couple of friends for a week.

I was at Stoke Bruerne on Sunday acting as a pusher tug for my historic narrowboat captain.

Photo courtesy of Leo No2

Edited by Ray T

I have an excellent photo of Coasty covered in mud from the longshaft in a way that would make the top of those overalls FAR more authentic. Trouble is I'd get slaughtered if I posted it!

Mike, you are coward!!!!

"Sensible" is the word I would use!

Part of the problem is that the dungarees have to be stored for long periods - seriously, do you think we wear them at other times? I seal them up in a vacuum bag to make them smaller, and before I do so I make sure that they are clean. I think that if left to fester for months at a time then they would be quite unpleasant. I know that we ought to roll around in oil and mud for a day or so before hand, but they always pick up mud, oil, grease, brasso, boot polish and curry anyway. Getting them clean takes half my stock of Vanish everytime anyway.

You are joking ( I hope), they are supposed to look dirty. My Boilers suits are washed regularly, but i have yet to find a detergent that will remove all traces of well ingraIned paint, dirt and oil. They also look decidedly faded where they have come into contact with things i have been working on.

It's a bit like hill walking and climbing gear, you never wear it on a mountain until it jhas been dragged through a few muddy fields and bushes. otherwise other walkers will assume you are a "newby"

You are joking ( I hope), they are supposed to look dirty. My Boilers suits are washed regularly, but i have yet to find a detergent that will remove all traces of well ingraIned paint, dirt and oil. They also look decidedly faded where they have come into contact with things i have been working on.

It's a bit like hill walking and climbing gear, you never wear it on a mountain until it jhas been dragged through a few muddy fields and bushes. otherwise other walkers will assume you are a "newby"

laugh.png

David, these ain't 'real' clothes, they are 'dressing up clothes'.

They only get used for the Village at War, or the Tug Festival at the BCLM. They have to be stored for long periods, and I'm not going to put them away dirty. Apart from how they might smell when released from their vacuum I don't want to find that something that was only a stain has eaten into the fabric and rotted it into holes over the months - I don't want to try to source clothing at short notice, as this stuff gets pulled out of the cupboard the day that we leave for the event. Yes, they do get scrubbed, but while I can get out most oil/ grease I don't have to contend with paint.

As for what we really wear when working on the boat - they are old jeans and t-shirts, they get ingrained with everything, paint, oil, diesel, grease, etc. I don't bother to try to get that stuff out - unless something is really foul (eg: some of Alan's clothes when he was cleaning out Flamingo's bilge! ohmy.png), when it gets soaked overnight, to preserve the washing machine. They get washed, and once 'clean' they get used again.

It was a great weekend - even if the start on Saturday morning was a bit damp and quiet ...

post-7390-0-63923600-1442315932_thumb.jpg

I loved the cute little animal details the blacksmith has added to the legs of the benches that are dotted around the site ...

post-7390-0-45558100-1442316093_thumb.jpg

On occasion boats in locks were not the gongoozlers' centre of attention ...

post-7390-0-70878200-1442316543_thumb.jpg

George Formby was though ...

post-7390-0-06026800-1442316651_thumb.jpg

I'm a cat person, but even I couldn't resist this very dapper RAF dog ...

post-7390-0-94757000-1442316750_thumb.jpg

I think there was even an inspection of the fleet ...

post-7390-0-27405500-1442316843_thumb.jpg

It was a lovely weekend, many thanks to all those who organised it.

LCx (who was undercover, very hush-hush you know - well, actually just moored in the cheap seats two locks down wink.png )

LCx (who was undercover, very hush-hush you know - well, actually just moored in the cheap seats two locks down wink.png )

Hi LC, I did pass you while you were sitting on the front of your boat, and wondered if you were THE Lady Cassandra. I would have asked but you were talking to someone, and I didn't want to interrupt. I was walking the towpath lockwheeling for Flamingo with our dog Odin.

Hi LC, I did pass you while you were sitting on the front of your boat, and wondered if you were THE Lady Cassandra. I would have asked but you were talking to someone, and I didn't want to interrupt. I was walking the towpath lockwheeling for Flamingo with our dog Odin.

That's a shame, it would have been good to say 'hi' but it often seems to go that way. There were a couple of people I spotted that I thought might be forumites but didn't want to interrupt their conversations either. I find it requires the right moment to accost a complete stranger and blurt out something like, "hi, are you 'Hairy-Elbows' from the canal forum?" blush.png

LCx

Edited by Lady Cassandra

It was a great weekend - even if the start on Saturday morning was a bit damp and quiet ...

I loved the cute little animal details the blacksmith has added to the legs of the benches that are dotted around the site ...

It was a lovely weekend, many thanks to all those who organised it.

LCx (who was undercover, very hush-hush you know - well, actually just moored in the cheap seats two locks down ;) )

The 'benches' are in fact part of the Stoke Bruerne interpretation project - each 'bench' weighs 450lbs so there is a bit of an issue with H&S getting them sorted. We have two up so far (another six or so to go - and two where we cannot get a vehicle and even more challenges in getting them there by water) - the little animals were the brainchild of Bob The Blacksmith - they will I understand form part of a quiz for children. There's still an interpretation panel to go on each 'bench' and of course they have to be painted by the volunteer group here in Stoke Bruerne.

The weekend was organised by The Friends of The Canal Museum (http://www.friendsofcanalmuseum.org.uk)

There's more on the Stoke Bruerne Interpretation Project on the SB Canal Partnership site (http://www.stokebruernecanalpartnership.org.uk)

Edited by Leo No2

It's packed in some of those pics! How come we were the only bodies in the pub by half nine on the Saturday night!?

Yes it got fairly busy - a lot busier than some of those pictures show.

However it is nearly all busy with the public at large, and it wasn't that busy "out of hours".

I'm kind of surprised the pubs didn't hang on to more of the "re-enactors" in the evenings though.

Perhaps if people had realised Odin was going to do his "try to run full pelt through a plate glass window" routine at chucking out time more might have come along to be entertained.

it's unlikely though that many would have turned up for detailed discussions on likely moves to quieten a Skandia hot bulb engine exhaust though...... In fact maybe that's why the pub emptied so quickly!!