Stoke Bruerne Village At War - Sat 12th and Sun 13th September

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I felt sure there was already a thread about this, but I can't find it. (For some reason forum search now gives nothing found for the search term "+Stoke +Bruerne" - I have no idea what's changed.)

Anyway, whether a repeat or not, another reminder that this fun event takes place this coming weekend.

Details here.

It is far more than a canal event - more an event that centres around the canal. There is also a Spitfire fly past both days, (subject to weather conditions, as ever).

Our historic boat "Sickle" is already there, and our "Flamingo" will be turning up in time for the weekend, we hope. I thought I had seen a list of other "historics" attending, but can't immediately find it - there is usually a good selection, however.

Come and say hello, if you are there.

Alan, Cath, (possibly) david & Odin the dog.

EDIT:

Found boat list - it's actually in a thread about Sister Mary Ward.

Alsager

Corona

Cypress
Cyprus
Dodona
Dove (not stated which Dove!)

Flamingo (ex Letchworth)

Jubilee

Linnet
Perch

Sculptor

Seal

Sickle
Stanton

Trout
Victoria
William (I think, based on a conversation yesterday)

Edited by alan_fincher

Wow! Judging be the thread title, it's going to run over a long weekend this year?

LCx

Yes, I have already asked mods to correct - a poster unfortunately cannot correct their own errors in a thread title.

WILLIAM is a camping boat. Perhaps ring the owners and see if they will take a booking for the weekend.

that's a cunning plan! I think Mrs Dharl + Dog would prefer the comforts of our VW camper van, however I shall try and sell her the idea as we cant take Honeystreet there.....

Dharl - E-Mail trevor at machzone.co.uk - he has all the camping details - camping is very close the the navigation pub!

IanM - Not sure which one it is - it is listed as being 54' long but no Index No given so can't really trace it as I would like. Cyprus and Sickle are here already.

ETA: Please note BBMF flypast is about 11:00 on Saturday (15:00 Sunday) due to restrictions imposed following Shoreham accident. Flying down the line of the canal and BBMF have suggested they can loose count of the number of passes they do so might have to start all over again to reset things to zero! All of course subject to weather at origin and weather at destination along with en route conditions.

Edited by Leo No2

Just a note to anyone who wishes to come by boat. Moorings in the Stowe Hill pound (Museum Green to the tunnel portal) are full but I can find room in the long pound (between locks 15 and 16 and about five minutes walk from the village) if you let me know your index number I can work out the rest.

Weekend starts with a big shindig in the Navigation on Friday evening with Lola Lamour.

Only charge is £6 per person to enjoy the weekend payable on arrival.

Just a note to anyone who wishes to come by boat. Moorings in the Stowe Hill pound (Museum Green to the tunnel portal) are full but I can find room in the long pound (between locks 15 and 16 and about five minutes walk from the village) if you let me know your index number I can work out the rest.

Weekend starts with a big shindig in the Navigation on Friday evening with Lola Lamour.

Only charge is £6 per person to enjoy the weekend payable on arrival.

Hi,

I'm aiming to come by boat - pm sent.

LCx

looking for a campsite to stay at to come and visit for the weekend. Any recommendations? I seem to remember that there was some caravans and tents just above the long pond?

I think that you are thinking of the re-enactors encampments.

My memory of the camp site in the village is that it does not take tents - only caravans and camper vans.

Images from 2015 Village at War for anyone interested.

Warning - there are over 600 of them - https://flic.kr/s/aHskgHVTCL

It is not exclusively a boating event although the boats that do come (specifically the historic ones) do add a huge amount to the atmosphere.

For those with an aviation disposition we had a Spitfire (BBMF) at low level on both days, the C47 (DC3) again BBMF and low level, the Red Arrows (no display but just transiting via Stoke Bruerne on Sunday morning), and on Saturday the Vulcan (XH558) on its way back to base (not low level but very visible).

2016 dates are 10/11-September.

Images from 2015 Village at War for anyone interested.

Warning - there are over 600 of them - https://flic.kr/s/aHskgHVTCL

It is not exclusively a boating event although the boats that do come (specifically the historic ones) do add a huge amount to the atmosphere.

For those with an aviation disposition we had a Spitfire (BBMF) at low level on both days, the C47 (DC3) again BBMF and low level, the Red Arrows (no display but just transiting via Stoke Bruerne on Sunday morning), and on Saturday the Vulcan (XH558) on its way back to base (not low level but very visible).

2016 dates are 10/11-September.

Great pics. Kathryn. Looks like great fun was had by all)

(The Red Arrows were on their way to us at the GNR)

Even funnier Alan was when I tried to wind Sculptor below Lock 17 and not below Lock 18 about 3 years ago - and someone drew another lock full of water.....

Fortunately - never seen any of the photos (yet) that were taken that day - though plenty of people where watching and clicking!

Here are a couple taken when everything was plain 'sailing' yesterday afternoon.

DSC_4492_zpsehbpqtyt.jpgDSC_4486_zpsuzqlq4ii.jpg