How to patch up paint?

Featured Posts

Hello,

My 65ft 2007 narrowboat is now in need for some re-painting especially on the roof and near gunwales where the usual bruising through locks happens. In general the paint is good condition if a bit faded and i only have small areas of 1-3 cms which needs fixing.

Can anyone help me out with advice? What is the best way to do it and which material is the best to use? I have found several articles about full re paint but not so much about fixing existing paint.

I am also considering adding bow markings - my boat is painfully featureless! Any thoughts on preparing the area to be painted over?

Many thanks for all your amazing advice.

Best

Zsolt

Hello,

B&q valspar does paint matching I have used the paint on my boat and it's good but haven't tried the colour matching.

Just keying the paint off with a 160grit sand paper or something and will be ok to paint over with maybe an undercoat first. Make sure you remove any flaking paint first. Then you should be able to tape up for your design.

• 2 months later...

Thanks!

I ended up getting a guy who did an amazing job on the roof, it took him 2 weeks of sanding, then kurusting of patches, of what i had many more then i thought i would, then primer on patches, 2 layers of base coat and then 3 layers of top coat. I am so glad that he did it. It looks properly amazing.